mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Mav 719 & Stans conversion. Velox rim tape yes/no?

(Cross post) I tried searching but there are so many psts with both names in tem that I couldn't find what I'm looking for. Figured the AM forum gets the most attention so...

Anyway, has anyone converted 719's without their old rim tape left on? I was going to use the stans yellow tape in 2 layers instead.

I'm mounting Speci Captain & Purgatory, Control 2biss.

Thanks,

Mike

Huffy Rider
    My hubby has these rims and just used gorilla tape over whatever tape that was on there. Been like that for a few months with no issues.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Call Stans. They have all the info you need. the only reason I say that is because the 719 is a tall rim and if you corner hard you will feel the tire squirming on the rim and some times burp and eventually blow the tire off the rim. Stans may have a strip for it that is thicker. This will restrict the movement of the tire on the rim. I am having this problem on a set of DTs right now. I will be switching to stans flows here shortly to get rid of this prob.

If you dont ride hard it doesnt matter just get it to seal.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    HTFR, which sets of DT's do you have? I was thinking of going with EX500 with the possibility of tubeless in the future. Thanks.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt
    HTFR, which sets of DT's do you have? I was thinking of going with EX500 with the possibility of tubeless in the future. Thanks.
    I have some 440's (oem) I have had the 5.1's before they are OK the 500 is much better. Check out the ZTR flow. If you are not riding full on DH trails the mavic 819 is a stellar rim for tubeless depending on how wide of a tire you are running.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    I have some 440's (oem) I have had the 5.1's before they are OK the 500 is much better. Check out the ZTR flow. If you are not riding full on DH trails the mavic 819 is a stellar rim for tubeless depending on how wide of a tire you are running.
    Thanks for the reply HTFR. The ZTR Flow would be nice but I'd like more strength and eyelets. The Mavic 819 is nice but I want something for 2.1-2.5" wide. How do you like running the EX500 on tubeless?

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    The EX500 is a great rim. What hubs you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Keep an eye out for reviews of the new WTB TCS rims. Their AM rim is 27/23mm and comes in at 470. It looks like shoter rim height is where they dropped some weight. It'd be interesting to see how those hold up.

With good reviews, those will by my next rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    The EX500 is a great rim. What hubs you running?
    Hope Pro II hubs. If I have more money, then I'll get DT Swiss 240.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    (Cross post) I tried searching but there are so many psts with both names in tem that I couldn't find what I'm looking for. Figured the AM forum gets the most attention so...

Anyway, has anyone converted 719's without their old rim tape left on? I was going to use the stans yellow tape in 2 layers instead.

I'm mounting Speci Captain & Purgatory, Control 2biss.

Thanks,

Mike
    It might be a little harder to get the bead to pop on, but you can do it without the old tape. I have personally never left an old rim strip on during a conversion. With enough compressed air, you should be fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Relax, are you saying to ditch the stock tape on the 719's? Like OP I'm trying to convert my 719's but can't get it to seal (1st step w/ the soap) and I've followed the instructions to a tee, several times.