Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Massive dual crown on a hardtail

12K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  truckinwagen 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen a huge dual crown fork on a hardtail? Something like a Fox 40, or a Boxxer WC. Ofcourse this would be useless, but just interesting to see.
and do you have pics?

#22 ·
Dekes said:
So what's the advantage of a dual crown on a DH bike and why can't that advantage be an advantage for hardtails? I've never ridden a DH bike in a full on way nor have I ever ridden a hardtail with a DC fork.
DC = stiff.

Matters on a DH bike when you want your wheel to point where you point it. Going from a DC equipped bike to a "normal" bike you'd be surprise how much flex there is, esp with a QR front axle, its almost scary lol. Probably applies more to heavier riders.

People put them on HT for the same reason.

#23 ·
Dekes said:
So what's the advantage of a dual crown on a DH bike and why can't that advantage be an advantage for hardtails? I've never ridden a DH bike in a full on way nor have I ever ridden a hardtail with a DC fork.
Dual crown advantage is rigidity and travel. The disadvantage is geometry and handling on a frame that isn't designed for 7 inches of travel. When the fork gives you a 48 degree head/seat angle, the ride suffers a bit.

A 7 inch travel fork is honestly a waste with no travel in the rear to work with it. With that kind of rake, it won't even be effective on small bumps.Too much weight bias is resting on the staunchions, instead of the suspension itself, making the system bind.

#24 ·
Barkleyfan said:
The disadvantage is geometry and handling on a frame that isn't designed for 7 inches of travel. When the fork gives you a 48 degree head/seat angle, the ride suffers a bit.
From what I understand it is easier to do shorter axle to crown distance on a DC fork with the same travel. Consider Fox 40 203mm - 571mm axle to crown, and say Lyric 160mm at 545mm. That is just 26mm difference, which will change your head angle by a little bit over a single degree. Not that big of a deal. Some aftermarket crowns can lower it even further.

I have no idea where you get "that kind of rake" comments from. Plug the actual numbers. As far as too much weight, good DC forks are around 7 pounds nowadays, which is less of an actual difference from some sturdy (or cheap) single crowns then changing to some DH tires may give you.

#25 ·
A Lyric is a waste on most HT's, IMO. Not many HT frames will carry a warranty past 140mm. Many don't even go that high. It can be done, but that doesn't mean it should. I wouldn't even run your Wotan on most HT frames, and I happen to dig the Wotan. There are benefits to travel, but at some point, the drawbacks outweigh the gains for the average rider.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.