mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Marzocchi 55, Change Lowers to DJ3?

Hi everybody... my first post.

I am a man who is full of stupid ideas, but in the long run doing things the hard way tends to work for me.

I have a 2009 Marzocchi 55R with 20mm through axle front fork. I like the ride and 160mm travel suits my bike (GT sanction) but the 20mm through axle is causing me problems. I am living in the country side and quick release wheels are in abundance, but 20mm wheels cost a fortune. I'm not doing any downhill out here and I'm pretty light weight anyway. QR would work just fine.

I have a chance to pick up a pair of Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 Forks with QR axle (2011 I think) for very cheap. Does anybody know if the lowers can be swapped over (i.e. so I can use the quick release lowers of the DJ3 with the 55 internals, stanchions, crown, etc). They look of very similar design. Possible?

Thanks

mtbr member
    unless things have changed dramatically, the DJ series uses 32mm stanchions, and your 55 uses 35mm stanchions, so no, you cannot swap them over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    unless things have changed dramatically, the DJ series uses 32mm stanchions, and your 55 uses 35mm stanchions, so no, you cannot swap them over.
    even if they were 35mm i doubt there would be enough room in the new lowers for the travel of a 55

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you really want to ruin the stiffness in the front end of your bike by putting on a noodle open QR fork, just buy a 44, you can find them cheap.

T.W.O
    Noodle stiffness isn't good.

mtbr member
    Once you get a good 20mm front wheel keep it. The higher the travel the more stress you put on the axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whats wrong with the hub? Is it cracked? If the bearings are shot just have new high quality ones tossed in. Show time! Plus 20mm axles are far superior to standards. You'de be doing yourself a favor sticking to 20mm. Hell I've got 20mm axles on all my bikes, from a 100mm z3, z1 super-t. 20mm is where it AT! There is something great about going straight through whatever comes at your with zero wheel deflection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for your replies everybody. And a big thanks to el_chupo_ for a straight forward reason why this would not work.

The big problem is that I am in Japan. And I am so far into the country side that I have struggled to find bike shops let alone ones that deal with mountain bikes.

I tend to move once or twice a year and I have found that it is extremely difficult to haul 40kg+ of luggage as well as a mountain bike onto a local bus. I probably can send things but when it comes moving I find the stress builds up, and in the past I have just dumped wheel sets in the rubbish because they are just too big to deal with. I am happy with the GT Sanction as it can be quickly disassembled, packed up small and put in a suit case. I can't say the same for a wheel set.

Hmmmm, looks like my options are limited. I definitely want the 160mm travel. Guess I might have to look at something with a 15mm axle. It'll be a lot easier to source 15mm wheel sets.

Cheers

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoxn2
    Guess I might have to look at something with a 15mm axle. It'll be a lot easier to source 15mm wheel sets.

15mm hubs are far more rare than 20mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v

15mm hubs are far more rare than 20mm.
    I was told that downhill was popular in Japan 10 or 15 years ago (and I have seen some awesome old school downhill bikes hanging in peoples carports gathering dust) but the scene seems to of died off. Along with parts availability.

The 15mm wheel set can be ordered at almost any bike shop here for the same price as the quick release. In short, with my current options I can get a 15mm wheel set a lot cheaper than a 20mm.

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    you don't have to buy a "20mm wheelset"

you just have to buy a 20mm hub and have someone build you a wheel using that hub and the spokes & rim of your choice.

if you don't have a bike shop/wheel builder near you there are lots and lots of internet based bike shops who can build you such a wheel.

for example, Chain Reaction in Ireland has a lot of happy wheel build customers and will ship just about anywhere.

mtbr member
    I bought a DT Swiss rim with new Saint hub laced up for $80 on ebay. 20mm are becoming quite common.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, the 15mm idea doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Of course neither does throwing away a perfectly good wheelset because it's inconvenient to travel with! Why not just ship the bike to wherever you move? Maybe we're missing something in the translation? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    ...Why not just ship the bike to wherever you move? Maybe we're missing something in the translation? I'm confused.
    When I move I usually don't know what city I am moving to. I get put up in a hotel until my city and apartment details are confirmed. In the meantime I have no address to post stuff to.

I wish I were fat, then I would get the 20mm for safety reasons, but at 60kg I could probably downhill on a XC bike without it failing.

Anyway. Thanks for your input. My options are limited, either way it is going to cost me a fair chunk of money. I'm hanging out for I ride, I think this one will be remedied by a good ol' impulse buy.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    you don't have to buy a "20mm wheelset"

you just have to buy a 20mm hub and have someone build you a wheel using that hub and the spokes & rim of your choice.

if you don't have a bike shop/wheel builder near you there are lots and lots of internet based bike shops who can build you such a wheel.

for example, Chain Reaction in Ireland has a lot of happy wheel build customers and will ship just about anywhere.
    Thanks for the advice. I checked an online shop. If you didn't type it I never would have believed that a custom build could end up cheaper than a pre-built. So it works out cheaper and better (provided I don't run into trouble with Japanese customs; anybody have experience?)!

The only problem now is the wait. I guess I'll just sit on my couch with a handlebar in my hands making mountain biking noises for now :P

GAME ON!
    why not get a hub like a hope pro II ($75+/-) and then you can run any front axle you want to.

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoxn2
    Thanks for the advice. I checked an online shop. If you didn't type it I never would have believed that a custom build could end up cheaper than a pre-built. So it works out cheaper and better (provided I don't run into trouble with Japanese customs; anybody have experience?)!

The only problem now is the wait. I guess I'll just sit on my couch with a handlebar in my hands making mountain biking noises for now :P
    You're in Japan? And there's no shops there to build you a wheel with a 20mm hub? Plenty of Japanese companies sell 20mm hubs. They should be plentiful in Japan, as a country... but maybe they're hard to find where you are? Are you in a rural part of the country, isolated from bike shops etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    You're in Japan? And there's no shops there to build you a wheel with a 20mm hub? Plenty of Japanese companies sell 20mm hubs. They should be plentiful in Japan, as a country... but maybe they're hard to find where you are? Are you in a rural part of the country, isolated from bike shops etc?
    I look out my window and see nothing but rice fields and geriatric farmers. I have upped my budget a little and will just order a complete wheel set over the net. I have rear drop outs for a 12mm maxle so I might as well do things properly and get a '20mm front/12mm' rear pair of wheels.