Thread: Marzocchi 4X wc

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Marzocchi 4X wc

Ok, so first off I don't know where the best place is to post this. I have one bike and that means it is my all mountain machine. It regularly gets ridden across town to the trail head and climbs in search of gravity induced fun. 25 miles a day 4 days a week. but it it also my dirt jumper. P1, single speed. blah blah blah.... the point is it is a dirt jump specific bike that right or wrong is used as an all mountain machine. I however am shopping around for the best fork to meet my demands. If it is strong enough I'm leaning toward the MZ 4X wc but I don't know. I'm a 200 lb guy If that helps the decision making process any.

local trails rider
    I hear there is a significant difference in damping between 2007 and later 4X WC forks: newer is better.

As I understand, the DJ forks are good for taking a heavy landing but the 4X should be much better for taking the kind of repeated bumps you get in trail riding. It should be a strong fork.

I like Marzocchis forks that have steel spring and air preload (the 4X seems to be one of those) : you can set it for your weight without needing diffferent springs.

What fork do you have now? Is it about the same length as the 4X? Happy with that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Been riding a DJ3 for almost two years. it's fine in hard pack, clay, concrete. but yeah it leaves much to be desired in the fast singletrack decent area of my riding.

local trails rider
    I think the 4X is about (if not exactly) same length as the DJ3. You still have to run such a short travel fork pretty stiff, to keep it from bottoming all the time, but the 4X damping should be more trail friendly. A much longer fork, run softer, would probably screw up the geometry of your bike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclecyko
    Ok, so first off I don't know where the best place is to post this. I have one bike and that means it is my all mountain machine. It regularly gets ridden across town to the trail head and climbs in search of gravity induced fun. 25 miles a day 4 days a week. but it it also my dirt jumper. P1, single speed. blah blah blah.... the point is it is a dirt jump specific bike that right or wrong is used as an all mountain machine. I however am shopping around for the best fork to meet my demands. If it is strong enough I'm leaning toward the MZ 4X wc but I don't know. I'm a 200 lb guy If that helps the decision making process any.
    What about one of the Rock Shox U-turn Coil forks? You could keep it wound down for DJ applications, but dial more travel in for DH applications. Quite a few DJ guys I knew in CA ran Pikes dialed down to 95mm (the Argyle had not come out yet)

mtbr member
    for the price of the 4x wc i would look for a RS Pike, you can keep it at 95mm for jumps and yet still have the full 140mm travel for trail riding, or anywhere in between for that matter

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd also go with the Pike over the 4xWC. It's a much more versatile fork and will keep you happy on the trails, DJs or anywhere else you ride it.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.