mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti

If anyone cares - this thing is AWESOME.

Replaces RS Revelation which replaced various Fox 36's (Van, Talas, Float).

Better than any of them by some margin (for my purposes which may be different to yours)

Get one if you want a reliable hardcore trail fork that eats rocks like coco-pops.

mtbr member
    Just watch the nickel plating on the stanchions. My 55s had an argument with a rock on monday, rock wins.

mtbr member
    I've got a bit more time on my Marz 44 RC3 Ti forks now and they are great. Mine replaced RS Revelation WCs that replaced Fox 32 Float 150s.

The 44s are stiffer than both by what feels like a good margin. Suspension action is very nice. Much better small bump compliance than the Revs or Floats. A small matter once the wheel is on but I like the Marz QR better too. They bob about the same as the Revs and Floats as well when standing and based on my settings for each.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Just watch the nickel plating on the stanchions. My 55s had an argument with a rock on monday, rock wins.
    Would a fox stanchion have faired better do you think?

mtbr member
    Im riding the 55 rc3 Evo for 2+ months now and It is the BEST fork I ever had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Would a fox stanchion have faired better do you think?
    Probably not, I crashed, landed on the front of the bike and sent the stanchion grinding along a nice big rock. I knew I'd done it before I'd even stopped from the scraping noise!

I have found anodized stanchions resist impact damage a bit better though, you can't use the nail varnish tick on nickel stanchions either as it won't stick. There is a pay back though, they're extremely smooth and crash damage aside plated stanchions last a looooong time.

mtbr member
    Good to hear that you're liking the 44 RC3 Ti. I was debating getting a Rev 150 for my 5 Spot because the 55 RC3 Ti that's on there is a bit too much fork for some applications.

But after your experience I may have to include the 44 in my shopping. I've had an '09 55 RC3 that I've used on my Knolly Delirium and my 5 Spot that I have absolutely loved, but the damping (especially rebound damping) and spring rate on the new 2011 55 RC3 Ti that I recently put on my 5 spot just don't seem as good for some reason. The spring feels a bit too stiff for my 160 lbs.

How does the stock spring rate feel to you on the 44? How heavy are you?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Krob, I have been riding my 55 rc3 ti for a year and a half. Initially, it felt stiff on the choppy stuff. I ended up simply putting in a lighter weight damper oil, and it feels like butter. I changed to a lighter weight oil in my 66 rc3, as well. The results are the same and makes the fork feel very responsive to the chop. These are the best forks I have ridden.

mtbr member
    I'm about 80kg geared up and put 5 strokes of air into the 44 for preload. Unfortunately I don't have a shock pump with a 100psi guage and the regular Fox pump isn't accurate enough to read off when setting the preload so I just count full strokes. 5 strokes gives me the right sag and brake diving comparable to the Fox and Rev.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good to hear that you're liking the 44 RC3 Ti. I was debating getting a Rev 150 for my 5 Spot because the 55 RC3 Ti that's on there is a bit too much fork for some applications.

But after your experience I may have to include the 44 in my shopping. I've had an '09 55 RC3 that I've used on my Knolly Delirium and my 5 Spot that I have absolutely loved, but the damping (especially rebound damping) and spring rate on the new 2011 55 RC3 Ti that I recently put on my 5 spot just don't seem as good for some reason. The spring feels a bit too stiff for my 160 lbs.

How does the stock spring rate feel to you on the 44? How heavy are you?
    I'm about 175 and it's about right for me. I also add about 4-5 pumps of air for preload. At 160 with no air you'd be ok I think. I read somewhere that if it's too stiff you can depress the air valve while compressing the fork a little to create a vacuum making it even softer.
    Did some DH runs today on them - fast and rocky track and they were way better than the Revs.

mtbr member
    I'm about 175 and it's about right for me. I also add about 4-5 pumps of air for preload. At 160 with no air you'd be ok I think. I read somewhere that if it's too stiff you can depress the air valve while compressing the fork a little to create a vacuum making it even softer.
    Did some DH runs today on them - fast and rocky track and they were way better than the Revs.
    Thanks. Yeah I've done that on the 66 RC3 Ti that I have on my Delrium T now and the new 55RC3 Ti (depress valve while pushing down on the fork) and it does help.

The other thing I've noticed on both the 55 and 66 is that they seem to build up some air pressure after a few rides and I have to depress the valve to bleed off the excess air.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Do you guys get a slight klunking from your 44's / 55's? I do. I'm assuming it's just the spring flexing and klunking against the inside of the stanchion. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you guys get a slight klunking from your 44's / 55's? I do. I'm assuming it's just the spring flexing and klunking against the inside of the stanchion. Anyone else?
    The shrink wrap on the coil is very thin and brittle. Mine was shredded up pretty good, and can make a little noise. After calling marz, they admitted it shreds easily. You might want to pull your spring out and check the wrap. You'll probably need to call Marz for shrink wrap, since it is so thin. I haven't been able to find anything around town that thin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    The spring feels a bit too stiff for my 160 lbs.
    Question! Are you getting full travel when riding?

If not check the oil level in the damper side, if it's been over-filled at some point that will make the fork feel quite harsh (and limit you travel) without there being an obvious problem to make it go stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtaulbee View Post
    I haven't been able to find anything around town that thin.
    My 55s (2010) have no shrink wrap at all in them, bought new, seems it was never there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Question! Are you getting full travel when riding?
    Not quite. If I flat out a pretty good drop it'll get close but doesn't result in any harsh bottom out clank.

I did check that when I first bought the fork because I had that same problem with the '09 55 (too little) and the 2010 66 (too much), but maybe I will remove a little more and see if that improves the damping (and gets me full travel).

The compression damping is a bit constipated even fully open but really pretty good. The rebound damping OTOH is almost non-existent in the first 2-3" of travel until you crank it up quite a bit... then it's too slow for deeper hits.

@gravity freaky: Yes I get that soft clunk sometimes on initial compression and sometimes on top out. I also assumed spring noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone have or ridden the 44 micro switch TA? from the little ive read about them they seem awesome and a better option compared to rev's. but im just not sure about the reliability, id really like to have the travel adjust.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does anyone know the difference between 2011 and 2012 66 rc3?
    From the official web, I can't see any difference

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Can anyone compare the 29er version of the 44 versus the 29er Revelation?