Thread: Marz 66 fit

mtbr member

Marz 66 fit

I have a bike with some components I want to transfer over to a new "stronger" frame. I'm torn between the BMC Superstroke and the Jamis Dakar from Jenson...I have narrowed down to these two frames for several reasons, mostly cost and the geometry on paper. Problem is the fork, my girlfriend bought me a Marz 66 and I want to use it on the new frame, I have seen a lot of the Superstrokes with long travel forks but not the Jamis. I have been searching for over a month but still no clear answer. Maybe I should be asking which one can I put the 66 on and not screw up the angles, I don’t know. Some info on me I'm 220 LB with gear, 6'tall, 30" inseam, I'm looking at the 15" for the Jamis and 17" for the BMC to offset the height of the fork, my current frame is a 19" I can still stand over the TT no problem but it looks wrong.
    Thanks David Saxon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    David - welcome to MTBR.
    Don't size the bike to "offset the height of the fork," you would be killing yourself. I wouldn't recommend that you get the 15" in any make/model, and only a 17" if you like smaller bikes and it isn't meant to be doing a lot of XCish/trail/climbing/extended rides (although this is all personal preference).

The most pertinent questions are: What kind of trails do you ride? What is your riding style? What skillsets do you enjoy developing?

mtbr member
    Oh yeah I figure that would help LOL. sorry, I do mostly a mix of XC and AM (no big drops some small jumps, I go down some hills, like to pedal up) I also like long rides 20 miles or more average 35 year old kid stuff. It seems at times I get worse instead of better LOL

mtbr member
    I have an '06 17" BMC Superstroke that I paired with my old 170mm 66RC2X from my previous builds and I'm loving my bike. Between your two options, I think that the '06 BMC Superstroke 01($589) is a better match with your 66 fork than the '06 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0($419) despite the $170 difference. The BMC Superstroke has 130-150mm of short 4 parallel bar suspension while the Jamis Dakar XLT has 125mm of faux bar / single pivot suspension. The BMC's is normally built with a 140-160mm fork while the Jamis is normally paired with a 120-140mm fork. The 66 fork (170-180mm depending on year model) is still overkill for both frames but is closer to the BMC's travel than the Jamis.

Also if your 6 feet tall, the 17" BMC might be too small for you due to the very short top tube. Might I suggest a 19" frame for your height cuz I'm only 5'8" and the top tube kinda feels cramped.

Good luck.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    I have an '06 17" BMC Superstroke that I paired with my old 170mm 66RC2X from my previous builds and I'm loving my bike. Between your two options, I think that the '06 BMC Superstroke 01($589) is a better match with your 66 fork than the '06 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0($419) despite the $170 difference. The BMC Superstroke has 130-150mm of short 4 parallel bar suspension while the Jamis Dakar XLT has 125mm of faux bar / single pivot suspension. The BMC's is normally built with a 140-160mm fork while the Jamis is normally paired with a 120-140mm fork. The 66 fork (170-180mm depending on year model) is still overkill for both frames but is closer to the BMC's travel than the Jamis.

Also if your 6 feet tall, the 17" BMC might be too small for you due to the very short top tube. Might I suggest a 19" frame for your height cuz I'm only 5'8" and the top tube kinda feels cramped.

Good luck.
    I'm stuck with a 17" (that's all Jensen has right now) in the BMC, the fork is a 170mm, she
    got it from Craigs, I like it, I use it on my current bike and it works great (besides if I don't use it, I will be in trouble) I saw that the TT tube was really short on the specifications chart but it was hard for me to gauge without the actual bike in front of me. I'm concerned with the height of the TT. I dint want to go into another 19 inch frame, thatís where I'm at right now and I donít like it with that fork. I rather have a long stem/offset seat post than a tall TT

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions gents, I went ahead and ordered the BMC "nickgto" thank you, your bike and comments on this and other post were the a big reason I went with this frame in the first place. David Saxon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598
    Thanks for the opinions gents, I went ahead and ordered the BMC "nickgto" thank you, your bike and comments on this and other post were the a big reason I went with this frame in the first place. David Saxon
    Glad to be of help. Now go ahead, build er up and ride it like you stole it! Take some pics after a hard run then post em.

Good luck.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X