mtbr member

Marz 44 vs. 55 - The "Gnar" threshold

Any folks have experience with both forks for all mtn? I have been running a 55 tst2 for the last year on my trail bike (Marin Wolf Ridge - 140mm). I love it for going down, it is super solid, and I have not had a single performance issue. However, it is quite beefy. I have the opportunity to pick up a 44 micro ti for a screaming deal, and it is a full two pounds lighter than my 55. My question is, what can it take in terms of abuse compared to a 55? Most of my riding is done in the Tahoe, Downieville, and NW Nevada areas where screaming downhills filled with jagged rocks are the norm. Would I notice a big drop-off in the downhill and (small) jump performance on a 44? Dropping two pounds is appealing, but my bike and my head are more geared towards the downhill aspect of all mtn at this point. A grueling climb in the Lakes Basin this weekend made me think that I should perhaps drop some weight off the bike or quit drinking beer (), so logically I'm thinking of some lighter parts. Please save your self-righteous comments about buying a Fox. If I could I would, but its not an option right now, and I'm not buying used. Thanks for any and all input.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In general I've always been happiest erring on the side of descending performance.. but if you adjust expectations/riding style the lighter fork does have advantages..

I just installed a 44 micro ti replacing a first-generation Revelation on my heckler. If i have one quibble, its the small bump action. Hoping it'll be better once broken in..

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man View Post
    In general I've always been happiest erring on the side of descending performance.. but if you adjust expectations/riding style the lighter fork does have advantages..

I just installed a 44 micro ti replacing a first-generation Revelation on my heckler. If i have one quibble, its the small bump action. Hoping it'll be better once broken in..
    Those 44's are notoriously sticky. give Marz a call. They may have you send it in for a fix and then it's money
    No moss...

usually cranky
    depending on your size i would do it. the micro ti is a better damper than the tst2.

Ow!
    Well, I just picked up a 44 micro ti and put it on my On-one 456. I have a 2006 66 Light ETA (with a RC2 cartridge) on my Nomad right now. The 2006 66 is comparable to the current 55s (my 66 has 35mm stanchions). The 66 is a bomber fork (pun intended) that eats rocks. The 44 does very well also, but does not eat as well.

I think the main differences may be not only stanchion size, but the front wheel hub connections. The 66 is a 20mm of course, and the 44 is a 15mm. I have a Pike 20mm on another bike (a 32mm like the 44), and it is more solid than the 44 also. Maybe manufacturers just make their 20mm forks stronger. That 44 with a 15mm looks like an adapted regular quick release fork. Stronger connection than a QR I am certain, but not as strong as the 66 or Pike.

Anyways, I think the 44 is a great fork, but you may be able to tell a difference when you go downhill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My advice is stick with the 55 put a tst micro in and have Marzocchi do a Works service to your fork. You could always have the ti version of the 55 tst micro with a trade in and spend about the same as the deal you have on the 44 micro. I guessing here but probably close.
    Having my 55 with the Tst Micro and the ETA cart there too makes for a switch blade of a fork. Plus I have an RC3 cart when I want to change things up.
    I love this fork.
    Good luck.
    Mctigre

mtbr member
    I spoke to Gideon a few wks ago and asked if they plan on having the EVO cart for the old 160mm 55s. He said they're just waiting for the top of fork plugs and should be avail around Xmas. That's be friggin' fantastic...a reshimable air fork!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Paully,
    The new evo cart would be great.
    I hope they can do this by XMAS too.
    Take care,
    Mctigre

Flaccid Member
    I have a TST2 and a Micro Ti, both of them tuned by the master Ronnie Dillion over there Marz USA. I'd call the TST2 a set it and forget it fork, the Micro Ti has more bells and whistles for tuning the fork the way you like it. Both of mine are in 29'er persuasion with 15mm axles.

I give the nod to the Micro Ti, because you can easily get it dialed in and tuned just the way you want it, which really does make a difference if you are a hard charger going down on a bike.

Many of the folks I ride with, however, would love to see the RC3 cartridge in a 29'er fork. Just saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 44rc3ti on my Mount Vision (120mm rear/140mm front travel) and it is pretty amazing, a big step up from the fox float 140 I had on before. Its the only 32mm legged fork I can ride like I've stolen it. It isn't in the same league as a 35/36mm legged fork at dh race pace/roughness - but when I feel I am close to the 44's limits then I should be on my dh bike, not a trailbike. (I frequently shuttle my MV).
    I would check the axle to crown length before I swapped - you may find the 55 is 20mm longer for 10mm more travel, so you may have a bigger geometry change than you would like. h

it's....
    I recently switched from RS Pike to 44 RC3 Ti, and the biggest difference I noticed is now much lower the 44 is.
    Even though the travel is same, A-C length is taller on Pike.
    If you switch from 55 to 44, you may need to raise your bars up an inch.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Bike did a review on the 44 micro ti in this month's issue. I don't remember everything they said but I do remember them commenting that it was the stiffest 32mm fork they'd ridden.

I run a 55RC3 on my 140mm bike and thought I would "upgrade" to a Rev 150 or Fox 32 or 44 Micro Ti to save some weight at some point, but now I'm not so sure. This fork just eats up the descents. I love it. And doesn't really cost me too much on the climbs. I haven't ridden the Marz 44 but I have ridden several 32mm Foxes and was not impressed with their "Gnar Threshold".

If the 44 micro ti can save a couple of lbs, still be reasonably stiff, and have the same buttery performance of my 55RC3 I would do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I haven't ridden the Marz 44 but I have ridden several 32mm Foxes and was not impressed with their "Gnar Threshold".

If the 44 micro ti can save a couple of lbs, still be reasonably stiff, and have the same buttery performance of my 55RC3 I would do it.
    This basically sums it up. Still debating, thanks for all the input.