mtbr member
    Aug 2011

many of you running 2.6 tires?

the new 2.6 tires are interesting in that they promise most of what we all like about bigger tires (almost everyone i know now runs 2.5's) but it's not all roses apparently. they are generally slightly lighter than their 2.5 brothers and it seems due to using 120 tpi casings (lighter, more supple) over 60 tpi.

i've read some guys say they aren't stiff enough to corner aggressively, others say bollocks.

i'm 2.6 curious and want to hear about your experience on them.

mtbr member
    Iíve got about 5 good rides on a pair of Addix Speedgrip Nobby Nic 27.5 x 2.6Ē. I love them! They arenít super heavy. I didnít weigh them but claimed weight is 860g I believe. They are a great all around tire and I definitely notice the extra traction over 2.35Ē. I weigh about 155 and Iím not a super aggressive rider, but my experience has been good once you get the pressure dialed. I run 14-16 PSI.

Mounted on 29mm ID rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm not a downhiller. At age 65, I'm interested in climbing capability. I've managed over half a dozen PR's on 45 minute climbs (locally) going from lighter wheels running 2.25 front, 2.1 rear to heavier 35mm id rims with 27.5x2.6 Rocket Ron Addix - and cleaned 2 heretofore unclimbed sections in Moab just a couple of weeks ago on 2.6" Addix Nobby Nics.
    I'm not going back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm running 2.6 SE4s on a 2017 Trek Slash, and 2.6 XR4s on a 2017 Trek Fuel EX. I really enjoy them on both bikes. I ride them here on the North Shore in BC - mostly intermediate to black trails (whatever that means). They work pretty well from climbing and descending, but I'm NOT the fastest guy up or down the hill, and never will be. I do like the slightly plusher feel and wouldn't go back...

Out spokin'
    I'm on 29x2.6" Schwalbe Nobby Nicks and am infatuated. Ride mostly Oregon's west-of-the-Cascades hardpacked loam flow trails (where I live) but I also get into the chuck occasionally -- been to Moab 3x in the past 12 months with the NN's. I enjoy Sandy Ridge, Black Rock, Alsea Falls as well as Oakridge, OR's hundreds of miles of deep woods singletrack -- this seems like a good all-around tire. I won't be going back to skinnier treads and might even try 29x2.8" meats at some point... pretty sure my Guerrilla Gravity Pistola has room for them. My 29er wheels have i30.5mm rims.

That said, I've also tried 3" tires (NNs as well) on 27.5xi45 rims and for regular riding this combo is comparatively sluggish. Fun in it's own way but too big a tire/rim can feel heavy, especially when employing lower pressures at which such tires excel. I enjoy the baby fat tires & wheels in the off-season when Oregon's mud is slippery.

The upshot -- IMO the optimum compromise is a 30-35mm rim and a 2.6" tire. The performance is there, the weight and slow rolling isn't.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Keep on Rockin...
    Tried them and yes they are very good for trail riding. 275 x 2.6 that is.
    Last edited by Miker J; 5 Days Ago at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    When cornering you're riding on the side knobs. Going to a slightly wider tire doesn't increase the contact patch that much. I run 2.4 DHR2's and set my pressure based on tire squirm, not rim strikes. The tires start to roll before I get rim strikes. Going to a lighter less stiff tire for cornering grip doesn't make sense to me. You'll be folding the tire over before you reach the cornering speed of a standard minion. There's a reason the DH and enduro guys aren't running plus tires. There's no free lunch.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    When cornering you're riding on the side knobs. Going to a slightly wider tire doesn't increase the contact patch that much. I run 2.4 DHR2's and set my pressure based on tire squirm, not rim strikes. The tires start to roll before I get rim strikes. Going to a lighter less stiff tire for cornering grip doesn't make sense to me. You'll be folding the tire over before you reach the cornering speed of a standard minion. There's a reason the DH and enduro guys aren't running plus tires. There's no free lunch.
    So you consider a 2.6" tire "Plus"?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Depends on the particular tyre, rider and terrain in question. In low traction loose over hardpack you'll struggle to fold any tyre combo over. On hero dirt you can fold over just about anything if you're heavy and corner hard enough. You can get tyres like the WTB Breakout 2.5 in proper 2 ply that measure as big as a 2.6 and coupled with the right internal width will rarely fold over. Also the Schwalbe Magic Mary can be had in 27.4x2.6 downhill casing. Otherwise the popularity of tyre inserts has one rarely talked about benefit that is extra sidewall support.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    So you consider a 2.6" tire "Plus"?
    =sParty
    If it's lighter than it's narrower counterpart then yes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    what does bollocks mean?

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by dplevy81 View Post
    what does bollocks mean?
    It's British for BS or nonsense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    the new 2.6 tires are interesting in that they promise most of what we all like about bigger tires (almost everyone i know now runs 2.5's) but it's not all roses apparently. they are generally slightly lighter than their 2.5 brothers and it seems due to using 120 tpi casings (lighter, more supple) over 60 tpi.

i've read some guys say they aren't stiff enough to corner aggressively, others say bollocks.

Larger volume tires have more uncontrolled rebound. If you're a fast aggressive rider they will feel skittish when inflated enough not to squirm of squish in the side knobs. (Think downhill tires have think casing for more than just protection)

If you consider something like cushcore (I like them with 2.5 tires for the above mentioned) 2.6 will probably be just fine. As they are less bouncy than 2.8 and above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Larger volume tires have more uncontrolled rebound. If you're a fast aggressive rider they will feel skittish when inflated enough not to squirm of squish in the side knobs. (Think downhill tires have think casing for more than just protection)

If you consider something like cushcore (I like them with 2.5 tires for the above mentioned) 2.6 will probably be just fine. As they are less bouncy than 2.8 and above.
    I've been playing around with a 2.6 DHF and a 2.6 Rekon and this has been my experience. They're great for slower technical stuff, and that particular combo rolls really well, but when I run them soft enough to not bounce too much on fast sections, they roll and squirm when cornering and on drops. I've thought of putting in CushCore but I'm questioning whether it's really worth the effort. I'll probably just go back to 2.5 DHF/2.3 Aggressor front and rear.

I'm with stupid
    Tried them, had a folding issue in corners. They did work good in the super loose, however we have a good bit of hardpack as well ( colorado springs, CO) and ever 2.6 or 2.8 I have ridden rides great on trails like Captain jacks and anything in the canyon ( think 5" deep gravel skid tracks or BB's over concrete). But all the other trails around they are fold over monsters or balloons just bouncing and glancing off rocks once you add enough air to not kill you expensive carbon wheels. I prefer smaller tires, and even more so after riding cushcore for a bit. I took the cushcore out of the front of my 2.5 tire as a test and even it felt bouncy and awful as just 2 psi more then I have been running with the cushcore. I wish I was one of the guys that could get away with high teens tire pressure but it just does not work for me and anything about 20psi big tires become like basket balls and just bounce all over the place. IMHO anyone that says otherwise is either not riding fast enough to tell, on softer smoother ground where low PSI already shines, on smooth trails and last but not least just does not know any different then a big bouncy/ folding over tire to compare it to.

Ride On!
    The Nobby Nic is a great tire, originally had 2.8's, but found them too bouncy and subject to deflection. I tried out the 2.6's which solved most of the issues. I would love to have stuck with the NN, however, I had more than one occasion when they suffered tears in the sidewalls or in between the nobs. Unfortunately, these flats occurred during a couple of long downhills in the Sierras, seems that rocks were the culprit. Running rekon and one of my leftover NN 2.8 right now. Seriously, considering switching up to combo 2.5's DHF/Aggresor, thinking of going double down on the rear. The added weight to me is worth it to have peace of mind while going those long downhills.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    The Nobby Nic is a great tire, originally had 2.8's, but found them too bouncy and subject to deflection. I tried out the 2.6's which solved most of the issues. I would love to have stuck with the NN, however, I had more than one occasion when they suffered tears in the sidewalls or in between the nobs. Unfortunately, these flats occurred during a couple of long downhills in the Sierras, seems that rocks were the culprit. Running rekon and one of my leftover NN 2.8 right now. Seriously, considering switching up to combo 2.5's DHF/Aggresor, thinking of going double down on the rear. The added weight to me is worth it to have peace of mind while going those long downhills.
    The Forkaster 2.6 in a dual compound casing seems darn tough to me. Perfect combination of grip and roll for trail riding. Lacks high speed straight line braking if you've got the need for that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The Forkaster 2.6 in a dual compound casing seems darn tough to me. Perfect combination of grip and roll for trail riding. Lacks high speed straight line braking if you've got the need for that sort of thing.
    Have you measured the Forkaster? In 2.35 it's one of my favorite rear tires early or late in the season (mid atlantic). When the agressor is sketchy . It doesn't pack up and is pretty good in the leaves. But the 2.35 is really 2.2 so if the 2.6 is really 2.4 it's probably something I'd love.

This place needs an enema
    Every time I go back to 2.6" tires I end up very quickly thinking to myself, "Why am I doing this?"

Within a ride I'm back on 3.0's and happy about it.

This coming from a guy that lived on 2.5" DHF's for damn near a decade.

mtbr member
    if dh doesnt use them, i cant figure out why i should. i climb fine

mtbr member
    I tried 2.1, 2.3, and 2.4's ...went back to 1.7's much better, until forced to go back to 2.1's...Hope the industry will hear my plea.....Sure trashed my rims running bigger tires. I weigh 118lbs. Have to run 25-30psi with the bigger tires to keep from dinging rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have enough problems keeping 2.3" tires in one piece.
    When most 2.6" tires weigh less than the 2.3" tires I'm currently using, it's not going to end well.

mtbr member
    I'm 240lb on the bike. I went from 2.35 Nobby Nics to 2.6 w/Addix. The 2.6's are a bit heavier and have a larger circumference, but I'm faster up and down, on trails that are rocky, sandy and everything in between. (23psi front, 26psi rear)
    The 2.6's have much more grip on corners too.
    Almost = Didn't

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    I tried 2.1, 2.3, and 2.4's ...went back to 1.7's much better, until forced to go back to 2.1's...Hope the industry will hear my plea.....Sure trashed my rims running bigger tires. I weigh 118lbs. Have to run 25-30psi with the bigger tires to keep from dinging rims.
    Interesting... exactly the opposite experience of the remainder of the planet. Surprising indeed.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Exactly...most peeps on here haven't experienced any tires smaller than 2.1-54mm. All I know is the difference in performance and what got me on the podium all those times....Most people are looking for a soft ride...like setting in front of the tube in their barcaloungers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Interesting... exactly the opposite experience of the remainder of the planet. Surprising indeed.
    =sParty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails many of you running 2.6 tires?-fullsizeoutput_569.jpg  

Keep on Rockin...
    Different horses for different courses, and for different riders.

I've seen the benefit of a 2.6 on a 275.

Curious how it would work out on a 29. Something tells me it would be too much of a good thing. But I can see were they'd work on the newer breed of slacker short travel 29ers. Run a 2.3" for trail or xc riding, then when needed for more rugged terrain run a 2.6. Those bigger tires do transform a bike into a much more capable rig.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Exactly...most peeps on here haven't experienced any tires smaller than 2.1-54mm. All I know is the difference in performance and what got me on the podium all those times....Most people are looking for a soft ride...like setting in front of the tube in their barcaloungers.
    Yup, to each his own. We each need to find whatever works best for us and then enjoy the heck out of it. I've been on the podium a couple times myself, 100 mile races with over 17,000' gain and was grateful for the extra cush & traction after about the 6th hour. Honestly, the terrain was rugged enough that by the end of an exhausting 45 minute descent I was looking forward to another multi-hour climb.

I have a friend who still prefers 1.5" knobbies over anything else. We've been riding off-road bikes together for over 30 years. He (still) rides drop bars. I don't get that either. But he rides his bike and I ride mine. Cool.

Carry on!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Wheelset #1) 2.5 Minion DHF/ 2.3 Aggressor with cushcore
    Wheelset #2) 2.8 Magic Mary/ 2.8 Rekon

#1 it fantastic, and gives the plush feeling of plus tires without the squirm or skittishness. About the only role I have for #2 is late summer when things get really dry and dusty, on trails without high-speed chunky stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post

Lightweight, thin sidewalls have a short life around here with all the rocks and boneyards. Because of that I always go for more robust design vs lightweight models. I am loving the 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF's that came on the new Kona...awesome traction and tough sidewalls. I'm running them at about 22psi and they are a great all-round tire. If a similar 2.6 becomes available I would consider it once these wear out.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    I run 2.6 butchers on my stumpy. Absolutely the perfect volume tire for all mountain riding. If youíre looking for a tire that performs well in just about every condition the 2.6 is it. Not to mention adding a litttle volume is like adding free suspension. Iím a fast, aggressive rider and I havenít found any real limitations. That said, I donít run 2.6ís on my DH bike for a reason, but then I donít ride the stumpy nearly as fast or aggressive as the dh bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    I run 2.6 butchers on my stumpy. Absolutely the perfect volume tire for all mountain riding. If youíre looking for a tire that performs well in just about every condition the 2.6 is it. Not to mention adding a litttle volume is like adding free suspension. Iím a fast, aggressive rider and I havenít found any real limitations. That said, I donít run 2.6ís on my DH bike for a reason, but then I donít ride the stumpy nearly as fast or aggressive as the dh bike.
    That about sums it up for me. I really am enjoying the 2.6s on both my bikes. Sure, they might not be perfect in all circumstances, but for the majority of my riding here in Vancouver, they're fine. And, I will never go as fast or ride as aggressively as you do on your downhill bike. :-)

I'm with stupid
    good thing they are really 2.4s

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm running 2.6's front and rear, WT Minion up front and recon in the back..while not be a great steep climbing tire I've had almost zero issues with lost traction that I wasn't already expecting with the 2.6 tires....i love them so far and my only real issue is I think the Recon is 120 tpi and it squirms a bit in hard cornering

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    they are both 120 tpi tires.

Barely in control
    Riding Goma 2.4 which are 2.54in at 25 psi on an i35mm rim. 120tpi, 1040g. Rocky, loose, loamy, and hardpack. I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    good thing they are really 2.4s

As a general rule, tire volume is dependent on rim width. My 2.6 butchers are 2.54 on 40mm rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How do those measure out? I read somewhere that the Butchers run small like Maxxis. Also, are you using Grid front and rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Running 2.6 Minion DHF front and back. Ordered 2.5 Aggressor for the back to see if I get better rolling resistance and less effort uphills.

mtbr member
    I've had plenty experience with this, when I owned a Hightower I had 2.8's on it with 40mm rims, I felt it was very sluggish vs 29er and had way more pedal strikes.

Then I bought a Spot Mayhem, and thought maybe wider rims would be the answer for plus tires,so I bought some backcountry 450's and ran them with 2.8's tires barely fit and still felt a little sluggish plus again darn pedal strikes.

Now I own a Canyon Spectral with 30mm rims and 2.6 tires. Wow what a difference , that sluggish feeling I was having before is gone and I feel I still have plenty of traction, know a lot of this could just be the bike, but all three bikes are amazing bikes, I just feel 29er bikes should stay 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Running 2.6 Minion DHF front and back. Ordered 2.5 Aggressor for the back to see if I get better rolling resistance and less effort uphills.
    Good idea. DHF front and rear can be a bit overkill for most riders. I run 120tpi dhf front, rekon rear on my mojo 3 and am very happy so far. I might go narrower at some point and try forekaster and aggressor but really have no reason to right now..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What 2.8s were you running on the hightower and mayhem?

Keep on Rockin...
    Just got a chance to try 2.6" x 29. Didn't like it at all. Very sluggish. Too stable. Even on the rugged downs where the big rubber soaked up the chatter they still were not worth it.

I dig 29ers but even with 2.5" tires they are getting a bit clumsy for trail riding. A 2.4 or smaller may be the sweet spot for every day riding for me.

On a 275, the 2.6 is good.