mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hope making a 27 speed into a 9 speed? Can I do it?

Yo! Hey ya'll. I'm new to mountain biking and a little on the large side (235 lbs.) I was wondering; for the kind of riding I like i.e. hills, twists and turns, I never get out of low gear on the front. can I keep my 9speed rear cassette, and get rid of the other two gears on the front? The larger ones for higher speed? Is there some sort of kit involved?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    You never ride out of your smallest cog in the front? There are chainguides you can run for a single ring up front, but I don't know anyone that would want to run smaller than a 32 tooth ring only up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

ok

ok, now the 32 will usually the middle cog right? The 1 to 1 cog.

Rabid Lana fan
    What are you trying to accomplish by removing the other two chain wheels? Weight Savings? Why not just never shift the front up? Same result, although a tad more weight on the bike.

And, if you ever find that the 22 tooth chain wheel just isn't "enough" anymore, you have the option to upshift! As you ride more and more, and your legs start to get stronger, this might become a real option.

And yes, 32 tooth niddle ring is the most common size for the middle ring on three ring setups.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

...idios...
    The illustrious 1x9 thread holds many answers....

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Rabid Lana fan
    One other thing to consider. Even though you may have 27 different combinations, you don't have truly 27 gear ratios. There is some overlap.

When you are on the front small ring, once you get past the third or fourth rear cog, the ratios start to overlap with the ones you get when on the middle front ring and the fith or sixth rear cog. It repeats again for the biggest ring in the front.

Ideally, you would never run on the smallest front ring and say, any higher than the fourth largest cog on the rear. When on the middle ring, you would only run the middle set of cogs on the rear, and not use the two lowest or two highest. And on the biggest front ring, you would only use the four smallest rear cogs.

In actuality, this isn't realistic, but you should never run the biggest front ring on the biggest rear cog, or the smallest front ring on the smallest rear cog, because these combos put your chain at such an angle (read up on cross-chaining) that it produuces incredible side stress on the chain and is a recipe for short chain and drivetrain life.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

:\ ping of death
    If anything, toss the small and large ring and keep the middle one.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    If anything, toss the small and large ring and keep the middle one.

Yup - that's what I did - 32 in front with a bashguard and an 11-34 in the rear. All the gears I need and none that I don't. After 4 years I had realized that the front shifter was just cluttering up my bike.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat
    Yup - that's what I did - 32 in front with a bashguard and an 11-34 in the rear. All the gears I need and none that I don't. After 4 years I had realized that the front shifter was just cluttering up my bike.
    Put a 34 on and enjoy the burn!

I went from 34 to 36, what a huge difference!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    haha! yeah. enjoy the cramps that immediatly precede the heart attack! I'm not there yet!

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by hayseed
    haha! yeah. enjoy the cramps that immediatly precede the heart attack! I'm not there yet!
    A 32t is cake. You'll wish you had one when everyone starts passing you up. A single 22t ring is only good for going uphill.

Members who have read this thread: 0