mtbr member

MAGNA Mountain Biker

From the previous thread that I had removed about the guy with the FS Magna brand bike, I saw him again on the trails. We actually had a good conversation about brands, build, components, etc. He had been reading up and doing some research on the sport of mt. biking and has clearly seen the difference between store and LBS brand bikes. I actually let him ride my wolf ridge and was completely blown away with the difference. I did some minor adjustment on his bike, fu#k, you would not believe how those "guys" built his bike, almost every bolt was loose! Experts, veterans, any suggestions on good entry level bikes without breaking the scrilla? I gave him my top 5, but you'all know more than me
    Last edited by cdidit; 08-20-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Ride the dream
    Price range?
    Intended use - xc presumably
    Market? LBS only or LBS+online?

I'm guessing you would say that in most cases you need to spend 3-500 to get something mountainworthy that will be decently reliable and wont have component failures every 5 minutes.
    At that price range, you can rule out fullsus - totally. You just arent going to get something with a well designed (read: non-pogo, durable, decent pedalling) frame with components that are gonna last very well for much under 900-1000.

There are some good deals to be found on the net, but most beginners wont know how to work on their bikes themselves (atleast to begin with) so the LBS model is particularly useful (free/cheap tuneups are a big bonus for people that dont work on their own).
    So that said, it depends what the LBS in question happens to stock. From what the LBS stock, what has the geometry and fit that suits the individual best is more important.