mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Mag32 Fork making sounds w/ low tire pressure on GT Force

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone could help me with this before I go out and buy a new fork and come to find out that's not the issue.

Now before anyone says to replace my Mag32 fork with Fox or Rockshox because it sucks let me just say, I've considered upgrading my suspension and in do time I suppose but the way I see it don't fix something that's not broken so that's why I held off on upgrading and for the trail riding I do or have been doing it has served me well.

Here's the issue few weeks back I lowered my air pressure on my tires to the recommended min to try things out traction and all (30psi) and wow what a improvement talk about grip (Kenda Nevegal front and Slant six back). The minor problems started right after this my front fork started making torsional sounds (what I call it) when turning, from what it sounds like, it's not a creaking or a rubbing, or clicking. It's a hard to describe sound kinda a flexing sound maybe. After first noticing it I took off my front fork and cleaned it up regreased it and it made it smoother for sure and maybe slightly reduced the sound but today I went out and it's there still. I'm wondering if it can possibly be my fork meaning with the extra grip due to lower tire pressure it's putting stress on the fork when turning and causing the sound.

Or possibly my fork assembly is not on tight enough or too right :-/

Anyone experience anything like that or can give me some input here, I want to get to the bottom of this, the bike rocks and I want it sounding great.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    how do you know its the fork? what does a flexing sound, sound like? theres the tire, wheel, headset, and stem all involved turning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    how do you know its the fork? what does a flexing sound, sound like? theres the tire, wheel, headset, and stem all involved turning.
    good point i do not know but all this started after lowering air pressure so I just assumed its the fork also the way it sounds it seems to be coming from the fork but again it's hard to pinpoint where exactly it's coming from. Any ideas on how to narrow this down ? When I put my body weight on the front end the sound is noticeable when turning.

As fork the flexing sound it's hard to describe sort of a deep quick click I would say :-/

Huckin' trails

Just ask a friend to put the same tire at the same pressure on his bike and ride it like you would ride yours. This might be a way to short out if the noise is caused by the tire or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails

Also check if the coil spring in your fork has the shrink-wrap/rubber-wrap at the middle of the coil length. Might be the coil spring hitting the stanchions, because under compression, it will try to bend side-ways instead of straight down.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    good point david. don't know much about the mag32 but theres probably a coil spring on one of the sides. you just have to remove the top cap. see if its scatched or whatever. cover it in some grease. if that's it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    a deep quick click sounds internal to me. have you checked for play in fork bushings. grab arch on the lowers of the fork, shake it back and forth and see if you developed some play between the stanchions and the bushings that are pressed into the lowers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    do you have some spokes cricking? maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow thank you so much guys really appreciate the feedback, here what I got i checked for play in the fork and I heard something but it didnt sound like it was coming from the steerer tube area it sounds like its coming from the actual fork. So
    I took the wheel off and then tried to put forwards and backward movement on the fork and there is was the sound what appears is making the sound is internal there's movement between the stanchions and the casting the play between them is definitely what's making that sound. My guess is the wheel is keeping it together somewhat and when I was running higher air pressure there was not that much resistance now there is. Is play between stanchions and casting common or is that what is reduced in the top end forks ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think your fork is done. the bushing that press into the lowers wrap around the stanchion under tight tolerance. just enough for the stanchions to slide . when they have worn play develops. takes special tools and the know how to replace them. not sure if its worth it, might be time to start shopping and saving for a fork. sorry. to cut the news. you could try finding the bushing and ivesting into a bushing removal tool. gonna take a little research on your part how to break that fork down. plus tools. you gota also get your hands on the right fork oil and find out how many liters to replace to get the dampening right. goodluck

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ebay has a suntour 150 fork for $220 or somthine. not sure if the through axle and steer tube are the right size. I would look for an old stock rockshox sector. definatly a step up in dampening characteristics. the thing about finding a sector for a good deal is that you can get it in 130 140 or 150. and you just ad or remove spacer to get that height.

mtbr member
    I had a force 3.0 with a MAG 32. It ran great for a year. I sent it to Suntour and they tried to fix it under warranty but said it was shot and wanted me to pay. I said forget it and bought a Tora for $220. The Mag's bushings were shot. Best of luck. Suntour doesn't really stand behind their forks. I almost killed myself when the bushings went out on a steep drop and went over the handle bars. Is you health worth it? My kneck is still bothering me from that fall 4 years ago. Don't risk it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    More then likely I will be going with a new fork over rebuilding this one. I'm considering going with a 150-160 mm now over 140mm for the front, I'm just wondering if doing that will it mess with the geometry of the bike? I know the rear is designed for 6inch of travel but I'm not sure what travel I have on the rear shock I'm assuming 150mm. Any thoughts? Also suggestions on some good forks.