mtbr member
    Feb 2009

M530 vs. XT trail pedal and alloy cage worth it?

I alternate flats and spd pedals depending on trail. I like the stability of flats on drops and rough downhills but love the efficiency of spd's. Thinking about picking up a set of spd's with alloy cage. M530 sells for $50, XT on sale for $99 plus 10percent cash back from performance, so about $40 difference. The weight differenceis about 40 grams.
    Are there any other tangible differences between the 2 pedals and what do u think about the extra contact area with the alloy cages?
    Thanks!

zombie freerider
    IMO I don't think the alloy cage is going to cut it for you on for the days you don't go SPD. I've been rocking the XT trail pedals and I can't say that I'd want to go riding on them without cleats. Maybe around town to get groceries but not for trails. It is nice I guess to have a bit bigger platform to put your feet on if you want to go through a section unclipped or if your SPD shoe soles are flexible then it gives you more contact area on your feet = less hotsopts.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Contact area between the two is the same. Huge difference between the 520 and 530. I have the 530 and the xtr 985. The xtr is much smoother. I can imagine the xt is just as good. I say go for the xt. The 530 is a little harder to get into then the xtr. more of a feedback click in the xtr

Matched with shimano am45. I like the setup up

Ow!
    Not certain the small platform pedals will meet your needs for downhill/drops. They are not a flat pedal. The closest spd pedal that I have used that compares to a flat is the 646 (pre-647), but I question using flat shoes for it (I always used cleated shoes). The mechanism sticks up above the cage a bit.

I have the XT trail pedal (replaced the 646s). They are what I expected, providing a little easier click-in than regular spds, but not nearly as secure as the 646s (and not nearly as heavy, either). Cannot compare between the different models, but is seems the price of the XTs is close enough to 530 to make it worth it.

what the quan?!

Idea!

What component groupo are you running? I opted for the XT trails since I am riding all XT stuff anyways; otherwise, I would have opted for the more affordable 530s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i can definitely tell the difference in quality between the two. only put a couple rides on the 530s before realizing i don't care for them, while i love the xt/xtr trail pedals which seem nearly identical. i don't know what it is, they just have more positive feedback and "feel" better.