Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lyrik R (on late model Enduro Comp)

Has anyone had any issues with this Lyrik R solo air that comes stock on the 2010-2012 Enduro comp?

I have noticed that here lately, I am staring to feel the fork top out more and more at high speed bumpy trials. I dialed a few more rebound clicks and it helped a bit but my rebound is already really slow.

The fork is really nice other than the top out issue, it is pretty plush and I never feel it bottom out, even though I use ALL of the current 160mm travel.

I just recently took my bike to the shop and they sent the fork to Rockshox. I am having them upgrade the fork to full on DH model, (RC2DH) with the mission control DH compression and rebound dampers. As well as having them remove the spacer to let it use the full 170mm of travel.

I should get the bike back today and I am so excited to ride it!!!!

Has anyone done this to their Lyrik and if so, what have you noticed about the upgrade?

Did it fix any top out issues you may have had?

Is this not the most bad ass fork for the money?

Thanks all,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Hi Jeff,gone to all that process with my Enduro 2010 Comp,upgraded to a Rc2DH rebound and compression cartridge and the front suspension become much more controlled and the diving problem gone away,i tried without the spacer (170mm) but roll back to 160mm as the bike become more lifted upfront and i felt a lack of grip with 170mm as you have less weight on the front wheel.The top out clunk never felt it.

RideDirt
    That upgrade will be night and day difference if you know how to properly dial in your fork def worth it .. I never experienced that issue that you are speaking of on my 2012 Enduro but i always used its full travel which is what your suppose to do.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I should get it back today and ride tomorrow night to test it out. I hope my top out issue goes away.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I had the same issue on my 2010 enduro, I was so disappointed in the fork that I tried to sell it. Someone suggested the mission control so I tried it. Wow, night and day difference. I had the top out issue too and it went away. It went from a fork I hated to a fork I love. I got a 2012 Enduro last year and didn't waste any tame putting the compression damper in it.

You will love it..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Thanks man! I have really been sweating it as I have now read that the Lyrik has a common issue if top out due to that wavy washer at the top of the air spring.

If my results are as your were, my bike will be perfect!! The fork has been the only thing I didn't like about it.

I will get it tonight and ride trails tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    I had the same issue on my 2010 enduro, I was so disappointed in the fork that I tried to sell it. Someone suggested the mission control so I tried it. Wow, night and day difference. I had the top out issue too and it went away. It went from a fork I hated to a fork I love. I got a 2012 Enduro last year and didn't waste any tame putting the compression damper in it.

You will love it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Having the ability to adjust low speed compression is a VERY nice

mtbr member

Re: Lyrik R (on late model Enduro Comp)

Quote Originally Posted by ridebiker View Post
    Having the ability to adjust low speed compression is a VERY nice
    How often do you adjust the lsc? Where do you start to find the sweet spot, full on, fill off or the middle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, definitely post some impressions once you get a chance to ride on it. I've been looking to do the upgrade my Lyrik R solo air to DH dampers as well. Plenty of good info on various forums, but it's always nice to hear another opinion before shelling out the bucks...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Honestly, when you get the damper installled it will feel so much better you won't think to tweak it too much, it makes that much of a difference. I am a set and forget kind of guy, I rarely touch mine after tweaking a little, but didn't do much to be honest..
    BBZ

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TagoMago View Post
    Yeah, definitely post some impressions once you get a chance to ride on it. I've been looking to do the upgrade my Lyrik R solo air to DH dampers as well. Plenty of good info on various forums, but it's always nice to hear another opinion before shelling out the bucks...
    It sure does feel good in the parking lot, it's also pretty apparent I have more stansion sticking out, now it's a 170mm fork! I can feel the fork still top out just a bit, but it didn't feel much worse than a brand new boxer I bounced in, but I guess I'm really anal about this top out issue. The real test will be seeing if it does this going down the trail.

It does feel even a bit smoother than it did before, which is crazy, it's always been buttery.

The cost was 240$ posts and labor before taxes.

I will give a trail report this weekend, and maybe even a video of said trail.

Thanks all.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    It sure does feel good in the parking lot, it's also pretty apparent I have more stansion sticking out, now it's a 170mm fork! I can feel the fork still top out just a bit, but it didn't feel much worse than a brand new boxer I bounced in, but I guess I'm really anal about this top out issue. The real test will be seeing if it does this going down the trail.

It does feel even a bit smoother than it did before, which is crazy, it's always been buttery.

The cost was 240$ posts and labor before taxes.

I will give a trail report this weekend, and maybe even a video of said trail.

Thanks all.
    Ouch on the price.. you gotta learn how to do it yourself.. working on Rock Shox products is very, very simple ( I have the Lyrik and a Boxxer).. lots of tutorials on the Rock shox website that show you how to do it step by step..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I never had that issue with my lyrik. It's the best air fork out there as far as I'm concerned. The only reason why I don't run one anymore is because the lyrik 2 step was plagued with issues. Once they get a travel adjustable lyrik squared away, I'll be back on the lyrik bus.

mtbr member
    Ouch on the price.. you gotta learn how to do it yourself.. working on Rock Shox products is very, very simple ( I have the Lyrik and a Boxxer).. lots of tutorials on the Rock shox website that show you how to do it step by step..
    I know, I know, I have been watching all of the videos for some time now and really want to dive into it. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I should have no issues at all. I think parts alone were about 107$ for the rebound and 70ish for the compression.

I have the Dh with no lockout or floodgate, it feels really good.

One thing though, I don't feel any difference in the rebound from full fast to full slow, I know that on some forks, when you go to full slow, it is really slow. Is this something that needs some cycles on the fork to start feeling difference?

And also on the two compression settings, I went from full hard to full soft on both of them and I really cant tell a diff there either when I bounce on the fork, Is this something I really wont notice a difference until I get it on a trail?

Thanks,

a dad
    Jan 2004
    You will need to break it in I believe to start noticing a difference, but like I said earlier, I don't fiddle with stuff too much, to me it just felt good once the compression damper was in there. as for the rebound, my boxxer seems to not have a great range either, but its brand new and hoping it needs to break in a bit.

if you are mechanically inclined working on your forks will be a no brainer..
    BBZ

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I know, I know, I have been watching all of the videos for some time now and really want to dive into it. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I should have no issues at all. I think parts alone were about 107$ for the rebound and 70ish for the compression.

I have the Dh with no lockout or floodgate, it feels really good.

One thing though, I don't feel any difference in the rebound from full fast to full slow, I know that on some forks, when you go to full slow, it is really slow. Is this something that needs some cycles on the fork to start feeling difference?

And also on the two compression settings, I went from full hard to full soft on both of them and I really cant tell a diff there either when I bounce on the fork, Is this something I really wont notice a difference until I get it on a trail?

Thanks,
    Pretty much what BBZ said - once things break in, it'll be more noticeable. As well, jsut bouncing around on pavement, I never notice much change. Once on trail though, hitting stuff at different speeds and angles, it's a much bigger difference you can feel in the settings.

Caveat: my Lyrik is the basic Mission Control and that works well enough for me, but I do have the RC2 damper in a Totem Solo Air, and it's very, very nice.

Honestly, when you get the damper installled it will feel so much better you won't think to tweak it too much, it makes that much of a difference. I am a set and forget kind of guy, I rarely touch mine after tweaking a little, but didn't do much to be honest..
    This. It'll take a ride or three to get it where you want it. Between my Lyrik SA, Totem SA, and two Revelation air forks, once getting the rebound and damping settings where I wanted them, I've not really messed with them. I tweak the Totem a bit when going to lift areas vs. when riding trail locally, but that's about it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Great, thanks guys.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    You can probably pick up one off pinkbike or another site for really cheap and just drop it in your self, simple remove top screw, install proper amount of oil and screw in damper, its that easy. Lots suggest updating rebound too, but start with the compression and see if you need more. I did one without the rebound upgrade and it was great, didn't feel the need..

here is one, $40.. double check that it works, but boxxers and lyric have the same size stanchion..

Rock Shox Boxxer WC Compression Damper - Pinkbike
    BBZ

THAT guy
    That Price is very fair... The cost of both of the dampers from SRAM is around $200. So having them do a rebuild AND get the dampers seems like a steal to me?
    Also I dont suggest anyone buy a Boxxer damper to put in a lyrik.... Yes, its the same diameter, but the damper is about twice as long.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TagoMago View Post
    Do it man! You will love it! It made a world of difference, both in fixing my top out issue and overall feel of the fork! I would have paid 300$ for the upgrade, it's that good.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do it man! You will love it! It made a world of difference, both in fixing my top out issue and overall feel of the fork! I would have paid 300$ for the upgrade, it's that good.

Jeff
    Sounds like its time to start scraping together some nickels.
    The only problem with upgrades is that no amount of plushness or brake dive control is going to make me a better rider. Perhaps I'll reward myself after another month or two of off-season training...and taking the MCAT. Surely enduring that misery entitles me to a buttery-smooth ride

mtbr member
    My low Speed compression knob stop working and i have to send the compression damper to warranty,then have to reinstall the original Rebound damper but with the oil that Rock Shox recomends the fork bottoms out very easily (this im my house giving a hard push at the handlebars) i put 145ml of 5 w oil,im i doing something wrong? Putting more oil will solve it?anyone knows what the oil in mls?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    My low Speed compression knob stop working and i have to send the compression damper to warranty,then have to reinstall the original Rebound damper but with the oil that Rock Shox recomends the fork bottoms out very easily (this im my house giving a hard push at the handlebars) i put 145ml of 5 w oil,im i doing something wrong? Putting more oil will solve it?anyone knows what the oil in mls?
    Where did you get that Number?

You need 213 cc if you just have the standard rebound cartridge only (Lyrik R).
    Whats this line for?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Whats not working with the LSC knob? no difference or not rotating?
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Whats not working with the LSC knob? no difference or not rotating?
    Not rotating, altough since the beggining that i the think the effect is minimal from max to mimimum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast