mtbr member
    Apr 2009

LS LEV remote concern

Just installed my Lev with Remote (27.2 if it matters), and it seems to do what it is supposed to mostly. I have the remote set up with an ODI grip, and when I tighten the clamp to the recommended torque, I find that the lever has a hard time engaging. It appears that with my set up, the lever makes contact with the handlebar, and, when torqued, enough force is exerted to crate a sticking point. The result is I throw the lever, and the seat lowers, but the lever is unable to return, so the seat stays in release mode, and rises right back up. To resolve, I tightened the clamp on the outside of the bar, and the integrated clamp to the point that it seems to hold, and it seems to work fine, but if I match the tightness on the outside clamp the stick returns.

Anyone else experience this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you are using it as the inside grip clamp, then as long as the grip doesn't rotate it's tight enough. I didn't like it there and put the grip clamp back on and moved the lever inside. Fit my thumb reach better. But I tightened the lever mounting screw till it bottomed out and never had it stay it stay ingaged.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Are you having problems with the remote staying in place if you loosen it to the point that it doesn't stick anymore? With mine, I found that I didn't need to tighten it anywhere near the recommended amount for it to stay secure. If I tightened it down too much, I had the exact same issue. At probably half that torque, though, mine hasn't budged a millimeter in months of riding.
    Don't listen to me. I'm too new to have an opinion yet.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: LS LEV remote concern

Weird, I'm having trouble picturing this.

You have this lever right?

There's really nothing for it to catch on, the lever pulls down and sort of rotates tangentially around the clamp.

Did you follow exact instructions on setting the cable length at the other end where it goes into the seat post? I had mine too taught at first, not leaving the 22mm, and with a mm of cable sticking out of the little clamp on the end. This caused it to spring back up an inch from the bottom after going all the way down. Sounds like you're having that exact problem. If you watch carefully at the cable where it goes into the post, you'll see that it needs enough slack so that the small spring can push the little actuator another 1-2mm up, providing a firm lock for the post, both up and down. Try measuring exactly 22mm and ensuring that the cable does not peek out of the top of the small clamp that goes on the end.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandCrow View Post
    Are you having problems with the remote staying in place if you loosen it to the point that it doesn't stick anymore? With mine, I found that I didn't need to tighten it anywhere near the recommended amount for it to stay secure. If I tightened it down too much, I had the exact same issue. At probably half that torque, though, mine hasn't budged a millimeter in months of riding.
    Yes, it sounds like I encountered the same issue you did. I did loosen the set screw until the lever worked properly, and it seems to hold. I haven't gotten much ride time since setting it up, so we will see what happens. I am happy to hear that solution worked for you though, I hope I have a similar result.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Weird, I'm having trouble picturing this.

You have this lever right?

There's really nothing for it to catch on, the lever pulls down and sort of rotates tangentially around the clamp.
    Yep, that is what I have. when the clamp is open, if the lever is engaged, it is open on the bar side, and you can see it sliding by. What I am experiencing, and it seems IslandCrow had happen too, is with the clamp tightened on an ODI grip, something makes contact, and when the lever is engaged, it rubs. This creates enough friction for the spring to be unable to allow it to return.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sounds like you have too much cable tension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grok22 View Post
    Sounds like you have too much cable tension.
    Unrelated to the cable, same issue if the cable isn't connected, or installed. Purely an interference with the lever travel.

Since my original post, I have the issue isolated to the lever installed to an ODI Grip, and torqued to the recommended value. If I remove the grip and clamp alone, it is fine, if I reduce the level of torque on the set screw it is fine. The only unknown is if the lower tension, while connected to the grip, will cause slippage of the lever. That I will have to see over time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a similar problem on my Lev 150. I have the lever installed between the brake mount and shifter, just perfect location for my left thumb. If I snug it up too far the lever binds in the depressed position. Tried lube, re-position, etc. Finally just didn't tighten it up so much. Since it isn't used for the ODI it worked fine. I think the main problem is mounted too far inboard and the bar taper just puts it into a bind when tightened.