undercover brother

Love the WTB Bronsons, but shredding the rear. Suggestions?

I've been riding the WTB Bronson AM TCS front and rear on my SB66 this summer and have never had more confidence in a set of tires in my life. The harder I go into a corner, and the harder I lean, the better they grip. But, I noticed I have been shredding and tearing the side lugs on the rear. I live in the midwest (Cincinnati) and we have some DHish trails with hardpack and berms, and I'm guessing that one these trails are where I am shredding these knobs. Anyone else on these tires experience this? Anyone have any similar tires or suggestions to run the rear with? I'd love to keep one up front, but maybe something different in the rear.

squish, squish in da fish
    hey tangeroo, these tires were in the running when i was shopping. i decided against them b/c i saw a couple of reviews stating the outer lugs ripped. i live in the metro detroit area so are trails are similar and now that it's the dry season i'm glad i chose the panaracer rampage tires for both front and back. they rail in the loose and do really well on hardpack too. also they are wider than the bronson's and measure a true 2.35"

edit: just ran across this Review: WTB Vigilante Tires | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Similar experience with the Bronsons. Good tire but wears way too fast in the rear. Try the new Maxxis Minion DHR II in the rear. Truly an amazing rear tire. Great grip with great Maxxis durability. Get the harder dual compound version for the rear.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Similar experience with the Bronsons. Good tire but wears way too fast in the rear. Try the new Maxxis Minion DHR II in the rear. Truly an amazing rear tire. Great grip with great Maxxis durability. Get the harder dual compound version for the rear.
    Hows the rolling resistance with those? Minions seem sluggish.

mtbr member
    I find it rolls surprisingly well for a tire of its ilk, but I have lots of techy climbs so I prefer tires with lots of rear traction and I prioritize downhill fun over XC rolling speed. This isn't a Minion DHF though, I'll tell you that. As long as you don't get the downhill casing I think you'll be fine.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Conti MKII. I also used to run a Bronson in the rear. Conti rolls great and holds up really well in rocky nasty conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think the wolverine would be a good match on paper. youd be sticken with the same brand so I assume a similar compound with similar characteristics in the rubber. obviously different characteristics by tread. the 2.2 is supposed to be pretty plump also. I know the Bronson runs bigger than the wolf and more trie to size. and I think the wolverine does too. on paper they seem a perfect match to me.

I own dhf 2.35 and 2.5 exo, high roller 2.35, tk 2.4 ardent 2.2 wierwolves, prowler mx, cedric xc"S and all conditions, and on paper I don't see any of them a good match for the rear for your needs. maybe the h roller but it has vague spot in it unlike the Bronson and the wolverine.