mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Love to ride, not too knowledgeable about bikes though

I don't know much about bikes, but do bike quite a bit on my own. I have been riding a 2002 Trek Fuel dual suspension carbon fiber until now. I have decided to look for another bike and keep this one for buddies visiting me here in Denver or for rides with the family. I really am interstested in the 29ers, since its seems to be all the talk and all my yuppie weekend riding buddies are all buying. I love the versatility of my bike (26) and it's light weight. I love technical rides and relying on my skill rather than the bike on the singletracks. I have looked at the Canondale Jeckyl, Trek Slash 9 (26), and the Stumpjumper FSR. The mechanics at all the shops say they still ride 26" bikes due to versatility, manueverability, and nimbleness, but I understand most companies are going to 27.5 or 29 exclusively. I am at a loss and was hoping for some input or thoughts. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, to give you a bit of my riding style: I locked out my back bike shock 90% of the time and had minimized the travel on my front fork as well. I was very happy with this but feel I may not have been as efficient as I could have been and was not utilzing the capabilities of the bike. I blew out the rear shock and crank simultaneously on my last ride since it's been locked out for so many rides/years. I also ride in the large cog up front most of the time....feel I get more momentum and tire less from spinning so much, but have been told to change my style and start spinning more?? Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to give you as much info as possible since this is such an open ended question. Thanks.

Canondale Jeckyl: Full carbon wheels, frame and front shock: $5,000
    Trek Slash 9 (26") Demo bike: $3,200
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp: $3,600
    Used 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon $2,200
    Ibis Mojo HD Sram XX1 Industry 9 $4,000
    2012 Yeti 575 Enduro Plus $2,250
    Any suggestions on finding the best bang for my buck or your personal opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    obviously the deepest suspension is the slash. then the jeckyl then the stumpy. why a deep suspension if you don't use it? obviously your riding is developed a more xc style masher. I would probably recommend a dw link based on your riding style if your totally set on a 6 inch bike. like the ibis. get use to riding the shock wide open and enjoy its capabilities going fast downhill. your moving into a category of much slacker plush bike. jenson has the special blend mojo which is low spec'd for less. it will feel bigger and burlier at first. but you will appreciate it the more only if you start going faster downhill. if there is no inkling of speed junky in you, you might not really need it. you might be better suited for a carbon 29er hardtail. I got one friend who went form hartail 29 to a rumblefish. and he still complains it climbs too slow. his priority is overall flow, not carving and mashing the downhill. its up to your vision. how do you see yourself ridin .

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Knowledge needed for new bike purchase

[QUOTE=kstaff;10679057]I don't know much about bikes, but do bike quite a bit on my own. I have been riding a 2002 Trek Fuel dual suspension carbon fiber until now. I have decided to look for another bike and keep this one for buddies visiting me here in Denver or for rides with the family. I really am interstested in the 29ers, since its seems to be all the talk and all my yuppie weekend riding buddies are all buying. I love the versatility of my bike (26) and it's light weight. I love technical rides and relying on my skill rather than the bike on the singletracks. I have looked at the Canondale Jeckyl, Trek Slash 9 (26), and the Stumpjumper FSR. The mechanics at all the shops say they still ride 26" bikes due to versatility, manueverability, and nimbleness, but I understand most companies are going to 27.5 or 29 exclusively. I am at a loss and was hoping for some input or thoughts. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, to give you a bit of my riding style: I locked out my back bike shock 90% of the time and had minimized the travel on my front fork as well. I was very happy with this but feel I may not have been as efficient as I could have been and was not utilzing the capabilities of the bike. I blew out the rear shock and crank simultaneously on my last ride since it's been locked out for so many rides/years. I also ride in the large cog up front most of the time....feel I get more momentum and tire less from spinning so much, but have been told to change my style and start spinning more?? Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to give you as much info as possible since this is such an open ended question. Thanks.

Canondale Jeckyl: Full carbon wheels, frame and front shock: $5,000
    Trek Slash 9 (26") Demo bike: $3,200
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp: $3,600
    Used 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon $2,200
    Ibis Mojo HD Sram XX1 Industry 9 $4,000
    2012 Yeti 575 Enduro Plus $2,250
    Any suggestions on finding the best bang for my buck or your personal opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Akiracornell. I understand everything takes time to get used to so am willing to go with a 29 but am leaning toward 27.5 and more travel as you said to really hit some speed on the downhills. I do have the speed junky side in me as well. I will look into the Jenson as well. Thank again. Appreciate you sharing your opinion.

Team Chilidog!
    Yes, go test ride.

On trails, not on a parking lot. We can tell you as much about bikes, bang for buck, etc, but it won't matter unless you get a feel of how the bike rides on the trail.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    what DONT you like about the bike you have now?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I like my current bike, but it really has seen alot of time on the trails and it is taking its toll. I had to replace the cranks, the back shock, and normal yearly maintenance as well. It's due time to treat myself to an upgrade...question is, what is an upgrade? Do I go with a 26" demo bike for a great price since I'm not a huge fan of the 29ers...I haven't even tried the 650b also so wondering. 27.5" seems like a nice compromise of the two.

mtbr member
    whats your max budget?

anyway, id look into Santa Cruz. they get LOTS of love

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Last edited by nauc; 09-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Riding your FS bike locked out nullifies a lot of how they designed the bike to perform. If you are getting bored, maybe you should look into a long travel hardtail.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know. Embarrassed that I rode it that way for so long. I've been hearing that may be a viable option, hard tail that is. Budget is about $3,500.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what u need is a fuel ex 29er

mtbr member
    What about a Santa Cruz 5010 (Solo)? Its nimble with the 27.5 wheels, has 125mm of travel, and you get the pedaling efficiency of the VPP system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I do like it. I rode one and was quite impressed. Definitely back in the hunt. Thanks for the input and suggestions all.

mtbr member
    whats the terrain like where you plan to ride? are you hitting any drops or jumps? if so, how big?

and which Trek did you have?

for the most part....

xc bikes = for mild stuff
    trail bikes = go anywhere
    am bikes = go anywhere + some stunt work (4-5 drops or so)
    freeride bikes = go anywhere, do anything
    dh bikes = haulin ass dh

as you go from xc bikes to dh bikes, they get heavier, stronger, have more suspension travel and more laidback geometery
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It's definitely fast singletrack. I love more technical but not large drops or jumps for that matter...tree roots, small to midsize rocks, etc...I love the uphill climb, and keep up with my buddies who have DH bikes so like to have a bike that helps me more with the uphill climb rather than the downhill. I have the Trek Fuel Carbon Fiber 26" (2002).

mtbr member
    If you are going to ride XC and want to climb better then go down, I would suggest a Trek Fuel EX if you want to stay with Trek or a Trek Superfly maybe? Did you take a look at Giant? I think a Giant Trance X would fit you nice, 125mm of travel (2013) or their Giant Anthem X which his more of a XC bike (100mm) Giant makes some realy good climbing machines! I saw you were looking at a Yeti 575, I heard they were some nice trail bikes. Another suggestion would be Santa Cruz, they have a large amount of bike that would fit you! Best of luck, hope that helped a little!
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Right on. Thanks so much. I'll check out Giant. I have some time and realized it's a great time to buy with new models coming in and end of season and fiscal year right around the corner for a lot of stores. I may end up putting more money up if I can justify the bike. Thanks for your advice and suggestions...much appreciated.

mtbr member
    SC Blur. lots and lots of positive reviews online about this bike

Blur TR | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I've heard fantastic reviews of the new 27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler. The price is extremely low for the spec list. It's not a complex bike, it just works. And maintenance is more simple than with a vpp bike. The Solo does look like a good bike as well. If you do want a floating pivot style bike, in your price range it will be hard to beat Giant. Their Trance 27.5 looks like a sweet bike. I had a Giant Reign for years and it was an absolute destroyer of a bike. It climbed better than almost any bike I've ridden, and it kept up with much bigger bikes on the way down.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    id go with SC over Giant. free bearings for life, crash replacement deals, i like their line of bikes better, and they seem more like hardcore bikers, vs businessmen

but, flame away lol
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Checking out the SC this weekend. Thanks.

mtbr member
    hey, you should read this... "2013 Interbike Dirt Demo"

lots of top bikes in it, including 2 SC bikes, Yeti, Niner, Rocky M, Spesh, Giant, Turner, and Pivot

2013 All Mountain Bike Tests at Interbike ? Part 1 | Mountain Bike Review

2013 All Mountain Bike Tests at Interbike ? Part 2 | Mountain Bike Review
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert