Mr.
    mtbr member

Lose the Giant VT?

Well, it's that time of year again where I start buying bike stuff I convince myself I "need." And well, I'm starting to think it's time for a new frame.

I've been rocking an 04 Giant VT2, with a swinger 3-way, the last 3 years and it's been "good" but I've never all out loved it. It's all those little things like ghost shifting, hellish "bob" if the shock doesn't have the exact air, interrupted seat tube, heft.

So, I've had my leg over an 07 Trance, 07 MKIII, and 07 MotoLite, and really liked all of them. I'm also itching to get on a Yeti 575, and only hear terrific things about them.

What do you say - why should I keep the VT?
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It sounds like your over it. If you are anything like me, once you get the notion that it's time..it's time!

Don't forget to check out the Turners!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Get rid of it before you hurt yourself on that flexy VT rear end. Downright scary.

Mr.
    mtbr member

Yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Get rid of it before you hurt yourself on that flexy VT rear end. Downright scary.
    Never had much issue with that - thanks to a thru axel. However that also added significant weight that I'm just tired of hauling around...

mtbr member
    yeah, the flex is the worst. that odd and jarring whiplash effect when on rough terrein...

if you havent noticed the flex, then here's some suggestions on how to otherwise improve the bike:

get a lighter shock. the actual frame itself isn't that heavy. my 16.5" 04 with cane creek ad-5 and stripped of paint/stickers is 5.5 lbs.
    get a skinny seat pole and use a spacer. a non piggy back shock should clear. i'm using a titec 27.2 + spacer at the moment and it clears the ad-5... i think. my skinny use alien + spacer definately clears. creaks tho, i dont need a bell, you can hear my post creaking from the next canyon.
    ghost shifting is probably derailler adjustment and/or cable housing problem. you'll get that on any bike that's been poorly assembled. or a loose freewheel/cassette/hub. or a gatted cassette/derailler.
    the bob isn't bad in 5 inch travel setting. which is the better setting anyway, pedal bashing is way too frequent in 5.7 setting.

the frame flex and the main pivot bearing location (had a chain jam under it once) make me want to ditch. but it's still an otherwise generally rideable bike. i'm looking at either a cannondale or an sc single pivot as a replacement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Never had much issue with that - thanks to a thru axel. However that also added significant weight that I'm just tired of hauling around...
    you have a thru axle rear? huh?

edit: even if you did, that wouldn't fix the problem: the rocker plates are too flimsy and is where all the flex is at.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    axle has nothing to do with it

push the rear end sideways and watch it flex like a wet noodle

Mr.
    mtbr member

Well...

I'd say I notice much less significant flex with the through-axel hub in there vs. a quick release when doing the grab it and push it test. But yeah, flex is there...

As for the ghost shifting, I've run the cable in three different housings, and tried everything from longer/shorter cables, be it teflon or steel...I've set up many bikes before and after the VT, and not a one has the ghost shifing problems my silk paw princess does...I've relented that this is a standard issue with the VT (seen it mentioned elsewhere)

Support for keeping the VT is dwindling...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For a trail bike, I dumped my VT for a Moto Lite. No flex whatsoever.

bi-winning
    it sounds like you definitely want a new bike. if you can swing it financially, do it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I got to flog a VT1 for a week and thought it rocked for a glorified single pivot.

If you just want a new bike, you don't have to dis' the old one to justify it.... There's always new ones out there that work better and/or that you might like more. If you want it and can afford it, GFI. If I were you, I would test ride everything I could swing a leg over before buying though.

---------------

Nice rig A-M

Mr.
    mtbr member

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I got to flog a VT1 for a week and thought it rocked for a glorified single pivot.

If you just want a new bike, you don't have to dis' the old one to justify it.... There's always new ones out there that work better and/or that you might like more. If you want it and can afford it, GFI. If I were you, I would test ride everything I could swing a leg over before buying though.

---------------

Nice rig A-M
    I'm into riding something I love for a long time. My last bike was a Schwinn I rode into the ground for 10 years, loved it - but then I rode some buddies longer travel bikes and decided it was time for some real suspension tech. The VT's been good, I've just never been "totally satisfied" with it...at least like I was with the Schwinn.

I've ridden a few bikes now, and really like what I've been on, as much as a parking lot ride can provide. I'll probably upgrade, but was wondering if there's some love for the VT out there that I'm missing compared to newer rides....that, and hey, it's something different than a vs. vs. vs. thread.

Thanks everyone so far for yer thoughts!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Personally, I still dig my VT, and havent had any issues with ghostshifting or noticeable flex from the rear end. And as another poster said, the frame is not really that heavy.

Single-pivot isn't the latest and greatest, but they still have their strong suits.

Mr.
    mtbr member

Ok..

I'm going one more season on the VT - just slapped on a custom wheelset and new cranks, slashing 5 lbs...that and I rode an Ibis Mojo today....amazing. Both in ride and price...

So saving for a Mojo is what I'll be doing while I keep rollin' on the VT...thanks all!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I built mine from the frame up. so perhaps it might be a little lighter than the stocker..

The Swinger 3-way works pretty well to defeat bob, as long as you remain seated. Try higher platform pressure/lower main spring pressure.. Personally, I'll live with a little bob for increased traction and comfort.

But... yes. The Mojo carbon is the one frame Id be willing to scrap the VT for!

fraid of heights

Axle does have something to do with it. From the top down you have a parallelogram from the pivot to the dropout. The stiffer the dropout side is the less leverage it has for side to side torque it's applying to the pivot side. Obviously if you've blown your cartridge bearings and your pivots loose your not going to fix it by stiffening up your dropout. But it does effect it.

Regardless, the primary flex issue on the VT was with the 03 frames, the 04's and later had better designed dog bone linkages that stiffened out the rear end.

The next thing was that the stock wheels and forks were way flexy, and not ready for some of the crazy things you end up doing on a nearly 6 inch travel bike. Once I upgraded wheels and mounted a through axle Pike it turned the VT into a new animal... Remember the VT was an early adopter of the "All Mountain" trend. It's no surprise that it took them a year to sort out some issues.

After upgrading the VT I ended up riding it more often than the Heckler I bought to replace it. So I ended up building my Heckler into a light FR bike. And keeping my VT for all around trail riding. Best of both worlds!

Though if you've got the new bike itch and the money to burn, might as well indulge yourself...

Personally I've been looking awfully hard at the Heckler 5, and Giants coming out with a 5 inch travel TranceX that should make a killer trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    Axle does have something to do with it. From the top down you have a parallelogram from the pivot to the dropout. The stiffer the dropout side is the less leverage it has for side to side torque it's applying to the pivot side. Obviously if you've blown your cartridge bearings and your pivots loose your not going to fix it by stiffening up your dropout. But it does effect it.

Regardless, the primary flex issue on the VT was with the 03 frames, the 04's and later had better designed dog bone linkages that stiffened out the rear end.

The next thing was that the stock wheels and forks were way flexy, and not ready for some of the crazy things you end up doing on a nearly 6 inch travel bike. Once I upgraded wheels and mounted a through axle Pike it turned the VT into a new animal... Remember the VT was an early adopter of the "All Mountain" trend. It's no surprise that it took them a year to sort out some issues.

After upgrading the VT I ended up riding it more often than the Heckler I bought to replace it. So I ended up building my Heckler into a light FR bike. And keeping my VT for all around trail riding. Best of both worlds!

Though if you've got the new bike itch and the money to burn, might as well indulge yourself...

Personally I've been looking awfully hard at the Heckler 5, and Giants coming out with a 5 inch travel TranceX that should make a killer trail bike.
    mate, the rear end flexes so much when you push it sideways. The upper push links were just too long and not stiff enough. I've pushed new ones at the shops to make sure it was not just mine. Let's see an axle help that

fraid of heights
    mate, the rear end flexes so much when you push it sideways. The upper push links were just too long and not stiff enough. I've pushed new ones at the shops to make sure it was not just mine. Let's see an axle help that
    Your name is Mangus right??? Cause it would probably take the strongest man in the world to get the rear end to flex the way your talking about.

OR......your full of it...