mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Looking at new do allish bike

Title says it all looking for a trail/ enduro bike. I've got it narrowed down to a few:

1) commencal meta am 4.2
    2) commencal meta xs
    3)vitus sommet
    4)vitus sommet vr

In regards to the two sommets the only difference I see is the fork, is the Manitou Mattoc Pro better or worse than the rockshox yari? If the yari is better is it worth $200 more? Downhill trails have recently been added to our single track some have 10ft drops others aren't as bad. I'm looking for a bike that'll handle the downhill sections easily and if I want to go ride single track afterwords would do ok. If I'm only riding single track I'll be on my 27.5+ hard tail. My only concerns with the commencals are people report hitting the chain stays with their feet and I've got big feet so not sure how big of a issue it would be.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I have a good buddy that has had significant linkage problems with the Meta, took a lot of back and forth and pulling and they finally coughed up new linkage parts and pieces, he was out of riding for a while. They are going to offer him 25% off retail of the newest Meta, but there's nothing that about that bike that particularly interests me. The latest models seem to have a pretty good AS profile for decent efficiency, but many other bikes do, like Evil and others. If the Vitus is the similar to the 2015 model, there's around 150% anti-squat at the sag point, which is going to cause some pedal interference with the pedaling. These are some curious selections, but sometimes people are looking at these bikes due to the build kit prices. This is a pretty good time to pick up non-boost frames and non-boost hubs are not going anywhere anytime soon, so you can find some deals in places like that. Personally, I'd be looking for something from SC, Turner, Pivot, Yeti, etc. The "catalog" manufacturers generally do not produce frames that are as quality and as nice as these and again, if you look hard you can usually find some deals on last years models, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The most appealing thing about those bikes is the price point. It more than likely isn't going to be my every day bike so to speak just for when we go hit the downhill track and then run single track after, so it's hard to justify spending much over $2000 for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    We are exactly on the same situation. According to the reviews, the mattoc pro is comparable to the fox 36 and Pike so that means it is better than the yari. But, I read somewhere saying that rockshox monarch is a good combination with the yari and that the mattoc pro is not a good pair with the rockshox monarch.
    As for the meta am v4.2 they have the metric shock which is more progressive from what I have read and the Meta AM v4.2 is boost which is the "new standard" now. I'm not an MTB geek/expert. All I plan to do is buy my first full suss all mountain/enduro mtb that is within my budget and just ride it. Those bikes you mentioned are my choices too. I hope someone will give us a very good answer/opinion. The struggle of choosing is real. 😂

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I got the sommet vr just couldn't beat the price

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That's nice. Can you do an update of how it rides?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Once I have it and ride it for a couple weeks I'll update

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks mate.

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalexanry View Post
    I got the sommet vr just couldn't beat the price
    How much did it run you to bring it to the states? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I think the shipping was around 120 so it wasn't bad at all I got the same week I ordered it too.

mtbr member
    they are kinda cheap bikes so you could have some problems. Any other options you are considering?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'd say the vitus is fine for 90% of the riding population but cycling is a game of who has the most expensive bike. Locals here laugh at you if you didn't pay $5k+ doesn't matter brand of the bike is just matters on the price. Honestly if it works it works so ignore the big name going down the side. The past few days I've been beating the absolute crap out of it and everything has been fine and I'm sure it'll take more.