mtbr member
    Mar 2013

looking for a new bike

Alright, I would like some suggestions on a new bike. Right now I am riding an '07 Iron Horse Le, 16" frame, really like it but looking to get something new and give this to my wife. I'm 5'8" and I ride mostly trails around the Richmond area, uphill and downhill and it's quite rocky in sections. I have a downhill bike for downhill fun, Rocky Mountain Switch so that's covered. I really like my Rocky and was thinking about a Slayer for my other rides around the area. I also looked at the Altitude, GT Force, and a couple of others. I can't break the bank on a bike but I have about 2+k to spend. What suggestions do you have for me. I really like the look of the Slayer but is it going to be alright for this kind of riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2014 Santa cruz heckler can be had for 2600 and it will go up and down.

mtbr member
    How about RM altitude? Jenson has them in your price range, the lower model at least. It's a little bit less bike than the Slayer, but I don't know if you/your terrain would need a bigger bike. The adjustable geometry seems pretty neat though

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes I know its more than you want to spend. I was in the same boat in July, but I saved a bit longer and bought a Knolly Endorphin, man what a sweet rig! The Chitolin for more rugged terrain. They did put out a 650b Warden if you are looking for a larger wheel size. Check out the info in the Knolly forum on this site. Yea they cost some coin, but you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by Goinslo; 10-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I know the rage seems to be the bigger wheeled bikes but I want to stay 26". I am used to 20". I like the feel of my 26" mtn bikes so trying to stay away from the 27.5 and the 29er. I know the debate but 26 works for a guy like me. I'll look at those but I really like the Slayer. Keep the replies coming!

mtbr member
    get the Slayer if you like it
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Goinslo View Post
    Yes I know its more than you want to spend. I was in the same boat in July, but I saved a bit longer and bought a Knolly Endorphin, man what a sweet rig! The Chitolin for more rugged terrain. They did put out a 650b Warden if you are looking for a larger wheel size. Check out the info in the Knolly forum on this site. Yea they cost some coin, but you will not be disappointed.
    I used to have an endorphin and now have a chilcotin. I agree they are sweet, sweet bikes. About twice what he wants to spend though.

I haven't personally ridden the Slayer, but some of the best riders in my area are on Slayers. They ride them hard (5ft+ wheelie drops to flat on slickrock) and they seem to be up to the task.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I will need a good bike that's easy to pedal uphill, there are many in the trails we ride several times a week. I have had to ride my RM Switch 1.0 on a ride or two and it's a beast to pedal uphill, that and it's heavy and a lot of travel. I want something more suited for trails that can take a beating too. The Slayer seems a little less DH so I keep looking at it but if I'm going to drop a little cash I want to choose a good bike that I can ride for years and not keep wanting to upgrade every year or two, you know.

mtbr member
    heres a med Heckler for $2099 with 26" wheels. the Heckler has been around for a long time... its low maintenance, reliable and well loved. you can ride the heck out of it. look online for reviews, theres lots of positive ones

Santa Cruz Heckler D AM Complete Full Suspension Bicycle 2013 (100098451)
    Last edited by nauc; 10-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Looking at those Rocky Mountain Bikes, the Altitude looks promising.
    You already have a long travel play bike (your DH), so why get one that has only a little less travel. Anyway, 26ers are old fashioned now, so get the Altitude with larger wheels and still enough travel for your needs, 150mm.
    I would recommend a Scott Genius 740 as well.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want ~6" travel and 26" wheels, the Giant Reign is worth a look/test ride. The 2013 models are on clearance now too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i ride a '12 specialized enduro, at 160mm front and rear, travel adjust to 130mm on the fork for steeper climbs, i pedal it everywhere. and have plenty of friends with 150-160 bikes. our rides range from short 5 mile 1kft elevation, to 25+ miles with over 5000ft of elevation gain, all on our big all mountain bikes.

the Slayer is very similar to the specialized enduro, if that is what you are leaning towards then go find one to test ride.
    throw a leg over anything else in the 140-160 travel range and see what feels best to you.
    Juice

likes bicycles
    My buddy got a slayer this year. It's a really nice bike. Well built and a balanced geometry. He's been using it for every ride, and we ride Tahoe a lot. We're talking big , long climbs, and he does well on it. He's certainly not the first one up, but he gets there. And the slayer is a downhill ripper. Wide bars, slack angles, 170mm of plush travel. If that's what you want, get it. It's a nice bike that can definitely be pedaled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free