mtbr member

looking for new bike

So I need a little help...I'm looking for a new bike and I havent looked for new bikes in like 5 or so years so im not sure whats good right now. anyone got any suggestions?

looking for:
    all mountain type
    dual suspension
    under $1500
    durable

slap happy
    jenson has some good buys on Jamis bikes. i got the Parker 1 (of course before they lowered the price again) and for the money it's great.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=jamis
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    This is a good bike to start with if you tell them your sizes they will send the bike set up for you.

http://www.fezzari.com/full-suspensi...bajo-peak-2011

mtbr member
    unless you buy used or find a killer deal, theres not many AM FS bikes for $1500

you can get a Santa Cruz Heckler D AM for $1700 tho. thats what id get. Santa Cruz makes killer bikes and the Heckler has been around a long time and is very respected

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/heckler/#pricing.php
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I'd hardly consider an Abajo Peak an AM rig...

I'd say go used or do as nauc said and let your budget rise just a little bit to get a Heckler. Don't know much about Jamis as a company, but that Parker looks like a sweet deal too. Some pretty good spec for the pricepoint.

mtbr member
    okay thanks. yeah ive been checking out the santa cuz bikes.
    i have been riding for awhile now so id probably be willing to spend a little more

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran
    I'd hardly consider an Abajo Peak an AM rig...

I'd say go used or do as nauc said and let your budget rise just a little bit to get a Heckler. Don't know much about Jamis as a company, but that Parker looks like a sweet deal too. Some pretty good spec for the pricepoint.
    jamis as a company seems solid, their bikes are kinda hit or miss though. i love them, never had an issue, some people not so much. my #1 choice would be a xam off jenson, if not a sc heckler, if neither of those look used.

T.W.O
    Rode with my friend who has a Heckler today and those things are too sweet for the money. You can pick them up on eBay for cheap too, as well as the Specialized Camber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Rode with my friend who has a Heckler today and those things are too sweet for the money. You can pick them up on eBay for cheap too, as well as the Specialized Camber.
    the Camber is a Trail bike, not AM
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    jamis as a company seems solid, their bikes are kinda hit or miss though. i love them, never had an issue, some people not so much. my #1 choice would be a xam off jenson, if not a sc heckler, if neither of those look used.
    Good to know. Thanks b-kul.

mtbr member
    Under 1500, All mountain, durable frame, FS, check out the diamondback mission. (nashbar and giant-nerd had them on sale recently).
    The jamis bikes are also a good deal but I prefer the mission frame.
    good luck!!

mtbr member

Singletrack Slayer
    HOLY $hit A Diamondback Mission 2 2010 model for $1400! That is below cost! That is by far the best bike out of them all, 150mm travel, Fox suspension, 15qr axle, x9/x7drivertain and Hayes Stroker Trail brakes! That bike is on cleareance at my shop for 2k !!! That is a steal. I couldn't EP that bike for that!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow, I'm with David on this one. The DB Mission 2 for 2011's MSRP is $2950 and is selling at most places for around $2700 right now. That bike is a killer deal! I own one of the DB Mission 2's from this year's line up and I have not looked back since getting it! Great bike!

T.W.O
    Too bad most of those clearance bikes are sizes no one wants.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    the Camber is a Trail bike, not AM
    Oh god not this labeling thing again. The camber is a fine do it all bike, my buddy and I go down to North Carolina and ride everything there. In no way were we limited at all by the bike, and if that isn't your so called "All mountain" then I don't know what to tell you.

slap happy
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Too bad most of those clearance bikes are sizes no one wants.
    yea, but.....take the Jamis Parker for instance. the only difference between the medium and large frame is about 1.75" of top tube.
    easily offset with a longer stem and/or backswept seatpost.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

T.W.O
    I'm talking about the nashbar

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone
    yea, but.....take the Jamis Parker for instance. the only difference between the medium and large frame is about 1.75" of top tube.
    easily offset with a longer stem and/or backswept seatpost.
    Sure you can make a too large or too small bike fit but it won't handle as well as a frame that's the right size. Myself, I'd rather spend or wait a little more to get something my size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You should take a look at the GT Force or GT Sanction rather than the GT Sensor, The Force and Sanction are in the all mountain catagory. Giantnerd.com has a great deal on a Force 1.0. which is only a couple hundred over your budget, The Sanction 2.0 is also a good deal, and Nashbar and Performance have a even a better price on it.