Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for knee/shin/elbow guard suggestions

I'm looking for something I can actually wear on a trail, as opposed to just DH. Most of the stuff I've tried on seemed like it would be impossible to actually pedal in!

I did like the Fox Launch pads: very confortable and light. What about the Fox Raptors?

Six-Six-One? Roach?

Is there any difference between the the same models marketed to the MX and MTB industries? I ask because I saw a good deal on some Fox Raptors being sold as MX protection(?).

Brand and model suggestions mucho appreciated.

Thanks!

-Guy

Hi!!!
    EDIT

Damnit...nevermind.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    661 makes some cool shin and knee guards that look pretty light weight; they aren't to harsh on the wallet either. I will be picking some of these up sonner than later:http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...486b7e&pl=BIKE

Team Chilidog!
    If you can find a pair of Fox Radius, they're good knee pads. I'm using those now and I'm waiting for my chicken wings (661) to come in.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by xc-ss'er
    661 makes some cool shin and knee guards that look pretty light weight; they aren't to harsh on the wallet either. I will be picking some of these up sonner than later:http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...486b7e&pl=BIKE
    I use 661 race elbow and Lizard skin knee (only) pads. I ride hot weather and cold, if I don't wear them I will crash... it's just how it is...

They are a realtively cool combo. I chose both based on skin exposure to keep cool.

They seem to work well as I get up laughin' when I go down.

P

mtbr member
    661 Kyle Straits for the knees.

Chillin the Most
    my signature says it all. enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i use my gear from roller hockey. it works perfect for me. I only gear up for the downhill anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The lightest stuff I've seen is from Dainese. See their freestyle knee/shin guards and elbow guards. My wife wears these and she has no problems pedalling.
    If you need a little more protection, try Race Face Rally FR knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards. A little heavier than the Dainese stuff, but still ok for pedalling all day. I wear them pretty much all the time.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Specialized new armor was designed

to be pedaled in but it is not cheap either.

mtbr member
    I love the Azonic Slider Protector knee chin... does not interfere with pedaling at all!

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...a63a3de1775287

for elbows, i've tried several, but my issue is fit for my thick arms... I found a set of fox ones that are great, but i think they are disc... (the raptors are no good for me)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really like my rock gardn pads, they stay in place well and I pedal all over the place with them on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have gone down on my roach fr pads a few times but never felt a thing. They also stay in place and pedal pretty good. Also I was able to get them off beyondbikes.com for $40 after a 10% discount but the shipping was super slow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi,

If you like, look at my mini reviews. I ride 10 mile technical cross country in NJ all the time with my Rockgardn landing zone knee/shin and elbow/arm. I wear them all the time both up and down. They are a little hotter than going without but probably as cool as any protection. They pedal really well with no chafing. As soon as the going gets interesting I don't even notice that I am wearing the protection (except when I fall ).

I really like that the knee cup does not touch my knee most of the time due to the design. Most of the other leg armor I have tried was forced by design to rup against the knee.

As a side bonus this same armor also works very well for more daring stuff such as FR or DH.

Morten

Hi!!!
    I *might* have a pair of Fox Launch knee/shin pads that are small/medium if anyone is interested. Brand spanking new and have never been ridden. The only time I've put them on is in the house. I'll sell 'em half off of retail plus shipping and handling. PM me if you are interested.

Nick

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I *might* have a pair of Fox Launch knee/shin pads that are small/medium if anyone is interested. Brand spanking new and have never been ridden. The only time I've put them on is in the house. I'll sell 'em half off of retail plus shipping and handling. PM me if you are interested.

Nick
    Can you measure them and PM me? I just got some L/XLs and think they are a little too long for me. I am wondering if yours will work better.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Can you measure them and PM me? I just got some L/XLs and think they are a little too long for me. I am wondering if yours will work better.
    Sure thing. However I don't think they will be noticeably different than what you have. I think the only big difference is in the straps that go around the leg. Apparently my calves are too fat for a S/M.

Natural body armor
    Protection pads are very personal and I suggest you try as many as you can before deciding.
    I tried them all (661 4x2 and 4x4, Rockgrdn landing, Fox, Roach). When I tried the Roach I had no doubts, as they felt really comfortable (these are the Rally FR).
    Maybe a little more expensive, but definitely worth it. They give you full protection.
    Yes these are designed for FR stuff, but i feel very comfortable bedaling in them. Padding is very soft and doesn't rub. Elbows guards are great, you forget you are wearing them.
    I immediately ditched my 661 (which I had for little less than 1 year).
    But they may not work for you, so try and buy is my advice.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Thanks a heap for all the input guys. So far, I'm leaning towards the Fox Launch pads, because I tried them on and really liked how they fit. However, they are on the spendy side. Looking at the Azonic Sliders, they seem to be very similar, so I'm going to see if I can find some at a LBS to try on. If I could find some of the Fox Launch at a reasobable price, I'd definitely go with those.

Still looking for opinions on the Fox Raptors, as I have a line on some at a very good price. I'm shopping for two complete sets of pads: one me, and one for the wife.

Anyway, thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers!
    -Guy

Double-metric mtb man
    I went for the basic Roach set myself. Well padded, easy to pedal in, reasonably cool (in the temperature department, that is) and they were on sale.

The Roach pads (basic ones) don't have the fancy external plastic armor pieces, but the outside material is quite resistant...heck, I could get three sets for the price of the Specialized that the shop had in so I figured I'd let my engineering instincts take over: functional, cheap and readily available = sale.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am in the same boat trying to find some padding to pedal in. I have a few in mind. 661 Kyle Strait Knee pads and Chicken wings or the fox launch stuff. Problem is finding somewhere local to try them on (im in Australia may have to go to sydney). I have managed though to try on some TLD T-bones. They are similar to 661 ones. They werent to bad but like to try others first.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    They are 21 inches from top to bottom.

The retail on them is nearly $70, so I'll go $35 plus $10 to ship via UPS. PM me if you are interested. The original poster of this thread is also interested in them so try to get back to me by 2pm MDT today. If I don't hear from ya' by then, Magick Mountain may get 'em.

I take PayPal and would like the $ first before shipping them out today.

Nick

Hi!!!
    Oh yeah....I also *might* have a pair of large Race Face Rally FR elbow/forearm pads for sale too (are my damn forearms that meaty!?!!?!?).

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_roach.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    They are 21 inches from top to bottom.

The retail on them is nearly $70, so I'll go $35 plus $10 to ship via UPS. PM me if you are interested. The original poster of this thread is also interested in them so try to get back to me by 2pm MDT today. If I don't hear from ya' by then, Magick Mountain may get 'em.

I take PayPal and would like the $ first before shipping them out today.

Nick
    Funds sent, Nick. I tried to PM ya, but your inbox is full!

Cheers!
    -Guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi,

I would NOT get the Fox Launch. That design depends on the knee cup being pressed in close contact with your knee. Furthermore the fabric seems rather abrasive. Based on trying them out in the store just walking around, I think they would rub your knee really bad. That is unless you wear something else underneath, but that would make them hot.

Roach and Rockgardn are much better. The Fox launch pads also do not seem very substantial...

Morten

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast