mtbr member

Looking Into My Next Budget HT

Hello all. Im currently on the hunt for the best HT I can get for, at most, $750. Obviously, the cheaper the better but I want a quality bike.

My riding will consist mostly of easy to moderate single track and fireroad but Im always attracted to the occasional "rugged decent." I already have a commuter bike so this would be track and trail only.

Solid durability is a must and I'd like to have as much room as possible for upgrades later down the line. Which is not to say that I don't want to start out with some quality components.

Just to name a few I have in mind...
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ngo1_spec.html
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4300/
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...45803&eid=4340
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=blast

I've been reading meticulously through these forums for the past month or so and have found you all to be fantastically informative, so Im now coming to you for some advice.

Thanks for your time,
    Flea

think
    Jul 2008
    This is in the all mountain forum but those aren't really all mountain bikes (nor do you need one). Consider big wheels. They roll like crazy and give better traction and stability. Otherwise for a real all mountain ride you need to at least double your budget and take a look at all the all mountain hardtail threads that are floating around.

Someone recently stated that if they were going to buy a bike around this much money they'd be thinking of how much stuff they could NOT get so that what they did get was quality. Along those lines, the Monocog Flight: decent parts all around, real steel frame, will happily accept gears and a suspension fork if you feel the need and the price is close to where you wanted to be:
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ight-29er.html

If you must have gears, etc right out of the box then the Redline D440 is in your price range as well (although the extra coin for the D660 is well worth it).

Specialized Rockhopper 29ers...there's two price points to chose from. Decent bike for the money:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...45801&eid=4340

If you are set on 26 and etc, probably the Kona out of the ones you posted. 68 degree head tube angle and decent parts spec. The fork is a paper weight but for the money it's hard to complain I guess.

Hope that was helpful in broadening your search. Just some ideas. Keep in mind that all mountain bikes are built to survive a lot more punishment than the average rugged decent. any off the shelf XC bike is up to that task. If you don't need the extra strength (and often weight) then why spend money on it?
    Last edited by bad news; 09-09-2009 at 04:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I posted this on the all mountain forum because thats generally the type of riding im into and what I've done in the past. And yes, the bikes I've listed aren't considered "all mountain" but I'm looking for a bike I can do most anything with. More of a XC/AM trail bike.

I've looked into 29ers. I'm still considering them. But, for the most part, I've gotten mixed interpretations of them. I suppose it's more of a preference thing. As for now, I'm leaning more toward the 26ers.

I definitely want gears. Anything in the 1/2x8/9 range would be fine.

What do you think of the P1 All Mountain from specialized?

Also, thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Flea,

I live in the Bay Area and scored a '99 or '00Yeti ARC w/Hayes 9 hydro disc brakes, 2002 RS Duke SL 100 mm fork, Chris King headset, x-9 shifters/RD, XT FD, Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels, etc for about what your budget is. 27 lbs w/2.1 in Velociraptors. I scoured craigslist for ~3 weeks until I found what I was looking for. Granted its 10 year old, but I'm lovin' it just the same. Now's a great time to buy used since all of the kiddies want the new '10 bling.

Happy trails,

Ted

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ride a P1 AM. It's my first bike & what I'm learning trailriding on. No real AM but I wanted something that could take some abuse. You'd definitely have to upgrade parts on the P1 AM; I bent one of the Suntour crank arms & plan on getting a RockShox 100mm fork soon. Other than that, the bike has been good for me as a beginner. Late next year I plan on buying a Transition TransAM frame..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just built up a new AM hardtail for just under 1000. You really can't compromise on drivetrain, but if you do a lot of searching and get a good deal on a used AM fork, that'll save you a few hundo over new. Also wheelset is another thing you'd really have to get a sweet deal on in order to stay under the 1k mark. It'll take hours and hours of e-baying but it can be done.

mtbr member
    I don't trust myself enough yet to start a build up yet but sometime in the future i plan to. Probably way off in the future, actually. So I'll be buying a complete this time around.

I've upped my msrp budget to around $1000, hoping to get a better deal at my LBS on the same bike.

Im still perusing through the selection of 29ers but the quickness and agility of the 26er still makes me lean in that direction. Unfortunately, I've heard a lot of negativity regarding the P1 AM. Weak fork, low end components, weight, etc.

Kona's series of HTs has caught my eye though. Good parts for the money, big 68 degree HA, durability, etc. Anyone have any opinions/preferences about those?

As always, I'll consider other options too.

Thanks,
    Flea

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The P1 AM is a beginner's bike in terms of price, etc. It was my first bike so I was reluctant to spend much. Thankfully, I ended up LOVING trailriding so upgrading parts & eventually switching them to a better frame si cool. I do wish I'd done some homework before hitting my one & only LBS...

Members who have read this thread: 0