Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for a hardtail frame

I want something that could take up to a 160mm fork, slack head angle, and has really short chain stays.

Ideas? I just want something that's playful and has lots of pop to it.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    I want something that could take up to a 160mm fork, slack head angle, and has really short chain stays.

Ideas? I just want something that's playful and has lots of pop to it.
    My experience is that this combination (slack head, long travel, short stays) makes for a kind of stupid handling bike. I'm riding a bike that can be set up that way via adjustable travel and horizontal drops. The front end is waaaay more competent through the rough than the rear, so you always charge in on stuff too fast. Also, unless you have a very very long reach or really steep seat angle, its hard to get the front end to come down off of lippy jumps and tends to understeer; the weight distribution isn't right. All these new-school AM hardtails are pretty playful, I like the transition and chromag ones personally, and less travel up front is kinda better, provided the frame is still slack and the quality of travel is good.

...but that's just like my opinion, man.

mtbr member
    I have a full suspension bike that fits that travel in the front and rear for AM riding. I should add I'm planning on running a fork with adjustable travel.

I'm only asking because one of my friends gave me a frame that had just been repainted that I bought and rode for a month and the frame was a Giant Rainier (an older model, like 05 or something around there). I know I know, it's a girls frame. But after riding it with a 5.5" fork for a while just messing around I fell in love with the way it felt on the local trails. It was just so damn playful and fun to ride.

I know it's not an ideal set up, but after riding that set up I thought it would be a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Jackal.

Not sure how it is to ride it with 160mm, but they say it can take it. I think that would be the shortest chainstays.. Chameleon will be better suited for 160mm, but about an inch longer CS. Which I personally think is just fine.

mtbr member
    Cotic BFe
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip
    Cotic BFe
    Is this from personal experience or just outing a choice?
    I have been looking for a longer travel HT too and really liked the Cotic's but hopefully found me a Transition Trans AM that I'll pickup later today
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    Is this from personal experience or just outing a choice?
    I have been looking for a longer travel HT too and really liked the Cotic's but hopefully found me a Transition Trans AM that I'll pickup later today
    Transitions & Imperials (Evil) sprout like rabbits around these parts but they're both great bikes. I went with Cotic because the Geo #'s looked good and the GBP tanked when I paid for the frame - I'm sure either the Cotic or the Transition will suit you fine.

I am just flabbergasted at how much fun this bike is... I've barely touched the full-susser AM bike since.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Transition Trans AM that I'll pickup later today
    Like my TransAm. That's what OP really needs. Or some 456 for less $$.

mtbr member
    I'm psyched I finally found a used frame and it's local to boot. Been searching for one for awhile so hope this deal works out.
    I found the Cotic and was liking the geo and the fact they use Reynolds tubing, I love the way 853 steel rides. They're just kind of pricy at the moment for my budget anyway.
    Bikes=Sanity

the test dummy
    sinister ridge
    From my bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Ragley Troof

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Ragley Troof
    Is it out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Is it out?

January.

the test dummy
    Ragley Troof

oooohhhhhh i like it
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Evil Sovereign. Transition Trans Am, Chromag....loads of bikes that can do what the OP is looking for.

I love my SOV and will be moving the forks up to exactly 160 soon. Can't wait.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    Evil Sovereign.
    +1 on the sov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    January.
    Same with the Bagger 288?

As for color choice on the Troof, is this diarrhea yellow the only choice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    sinister ridge
    From my bikes
    That is suh-Weeeeet!!!!

Just picked up a used Trans AM frame this afternoon , heading out to build on it as soon as I'm motivated to freeze my butt since we had our first snow

Oh well, it's CO.....weather will change in a day or so of course I work this weekend and on Monday (my next day off) it's s'posed to snow again!
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    That is suh-Weeeeet!!!!

Just picked up a used Trans AM frame this afternoon , heading out to build on it as soon as I'm motivated to freeze my butt since we had our first snow

Oh well, it's CO.....weather will change in a day or so of course I work this weekend and on Monday (my next day off) it's s'posed to snow again!
    Enjoy the TransAm

mtbr member
    I got it thrown together enought to sit on and check out the fitting. Digging it and am wanting to get riding! Think it's going to be a SS for a bit 'til I can afford some shifters and derailluers and a different crankset. Should have some pics by Monday, working nights this weekend so only get to mess with it a little bit.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Same with the Bagger 288?

As for color choice on the Troof, is this diarrhea yellow the only choice?
    We're doing a red too.

mtbr member
    Evil Sovereign. Transition Trans Am, Chromag....loads of bikes that can do what the OP is looking for.

I read a review of a TransAm in a UK magazine the other day, and they seemed to be saying that it was quite steep angled up front. Ragley's have a 67.5deg head angle at ride height, TransAm's are that "static"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    I read a review of a TransAm in a UK magazine the other day, and they seemed to be saying that it was quite steep angled up front. Ragley's have a 67.5deg head angle at ride height, TransAm's are that "static"?
    I can only compare it to 456 and it feels about the same to me. It is not too slack, but I do not hold that against it. Does not feel too twitchy to me.

mtbr member

I'm looking at the Sov and Trans am right now after waiting for some info in this thread.

the test dummy
    That is suh-Weeeeet!!!!
    thanks man i love it
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast