Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Looking for good hydraulic disc brakes

I'm looking to buy new brakes. I still have the cheap brakes that came with the bike. I looking for hydraulic brakes for around $100 any tips?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    $100 per side or per set? With or without rotors?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    for the set. And without rotors

mtbr member

Re: Looking for good hydraulic disc brakes

What do you have now for brakes?

--
    Stephen

mtbr member

Looking for good hydraulic disc brakes

Can't ask for much better than XT

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-w-Adapter.htm

mtbr member
    Hunt around on ebay and the closeout bike sites and you'll find Shimano Deore and SLX and Hayes Stroker Trails in that range.
    Your search will get easier if you can up the budget to $150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have promax dt-160b and they suck so bad!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Dang thats actually a really good deal thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I know around the $200 range is better its just that I'm 17 and I don't have a job so all the money I earn comes from odd jobs i do for my neighbors

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dslush View Post
    I know around the $200 range is better its just that I'm 17 and I don't have a job so all the money I earn comes from odd jobs i do for my neighbors
    The front brake does something like 80% of the braking, so spend your money there. Go with a nice front brake and whatever you already have if you have to, then upgrade later.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mechanical BB7 are awesome and super cheap. I know they aren't hydraulic but I love mine! I stop just as fast as my buddy with Avid XX hydro

≈ > ♥
    Yes ^... a set of BB7s, running sintered metallic pads and 8" rotors will stop you much nicer than any cheaper hydro setup.

mtbr member
    Actually the XT brakes are great but you get almost the exact same brake when you drop to the SLX version:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter

Cheaper and only lacks the bite adjustment, which is not really worth the price difference. For $70 for the front is an amazing value.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Shimano SLX is the budget hydraulic brake winner for sure. But keep in mind that you want the Ice Tech version (SLX M666), not an older one - they've vastly improved them in the newer version. So, don't just buy any SLX brakes off Ebay or wherever, use the link to BlueSkyCycling or somewhere else that guarantees new ones.

If you want to go even cheaper, then ditch hydraulics and get Avid BB7s. Great brakes, and you'll save even more because you can install them easily yourself (you might be able to install the hyraulics too, but they're a lot more difficult since they usually require bleeding and cable cutting).

mtbr member
    I found a never before used set of BB7s with rotors for $90 on eBay, so it can be done. I used my existing levers, since I was going from v-brakes. I think that is the only route if you are looking to spend <$100 on both front and back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The 2014 Deore brakes (m615?) are Ice Tech compatible just like SLX and XT. They don't have the same adjustments and are probably heavier but if you're on a budget they're damn good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it especially as a young cyclist. I ended up buying Hayes Prime comp brakes.

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX or XT 2012-2014 models.
    Most of anything cheaper will suck bad.
    Ice tech rotors are worth it, get the small ones to save money.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    try to find deal on "older" new brakes or, if you're a little mechanical minded, as et of second hand hydros. I got front Hope Mono M4 and back Hope Mono Mini for cheaper than a new set of SLX ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it especially as a young cyclist. I ended up buying Hayes Prime comp brakes.
    Never ridden the prime comps, but I really liked my Stroker Trails...that is until I swapped in my XTs.

Either way, glad you've got something that works. Ride your bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    Either way, glad you've got something that works. Ride your bike!
    This! You did your research and chose something. Now ignore everything else and go ride. People will say "you should've gotten this or that" but in the end, you have brakes now and presumably they work. Go out and have fun.

mtbr member
    Got any riding in on those new brakes yet? I'm considering a purchase of the Prime Comps also...really like the idea behind the crosshair alignment system, and Price Point has a good price on them. Looking for some firsthand testimonials and there as there are scant reviews out there on these brakes. A friend of mine has the Stroker Trail brakes and he is very happy with them and the Prime series are supposed to be an upgrade from them so...

mtbr member
    Shimano slx or deore.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Okay I'm building a singlespeed and all I have left is brakes. I also have a $100 budget but need that to include rotors. What are my best options, preferably hydraulic.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but BB7. There are some deals on BB7s either on pricepoint or blueskycycling and some Hayes brakes on pricepoint that could fit that budget, but I'd prefer BB7's, SD-7 levers, and some halfway decent pads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast