mtbr member

looking for first FS bike for $2000

i want it to be an AM bike. thinking the Heckler D AM with the RP23 upgrade, should be $1815 i think. i want something thats super reliable yet gets the job done nicely

thoughts?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can't comment on the heckler, but $2k should get you what you want. If you want the most bang for your buck look for last year's models that have been marked down. Last summer I picked up my Trek fuel ex7 for ~1500 after it had been marked down twice. But at that price point you should be okey-dokey.

T.W.O.
    What about the APP Butcher, the shock rate should mirror the Nomad, it's should be in your budget range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    What about the APP Butcher, the shock rate should mirror the Nomad, it's should be in your budget range.
    how are the Heckler and the Butcher different, cause theyre both single pivot

thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    how are the Heckler and the Butcher different, cause theyre both single pivot

thanks
    Shock rate, APP's rate is suppose to mirror the VPP. APP is a "seven pivot point" SinglePivot.

So in the nut shell, you'd get a Single pivot that ride like a VPP, at least that's what SC claim. So the shock rate instead of looking like a downward slant, it would look like a smilie face. Soft and responsive at the top, progress into a mid sweetspot, then ramp up nicely.

mtbr member
    got it, thanks...
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I think with the introduction of the Nickel and the Butcher, you'll see the Heckler disappear from SC's lineup eventually. The linkage actuated single pivot performs a lot better than the standard single pivot. There's really no reason to keep the Heckler around, unless they significantly decrease the price.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Heckler is a great performing bike that does not need to be redesigned. A price drop to make mtb riding more accomodating to more people in the long run will bring more people to the sport and give higher profits to the company as well. We all break parts and most of us have more than one bike. Wouldnt it have been great to get a Heckler as a first bike and still have it? Infinitly upgradeable. A no ******** performer that rolls with ones twice the price on any trail.

Huffy Rider
    Giant Reign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    go with last year's model, something left over in the shop. it's still a new bike and they are eager to move them off the floor.

i just picked up an '08 cannondale rize 4 (retail 2550) for 1600. 2k was my price point too, so plenty of bike at that price with room to spare for accessories.

My spelling is atroshus
    Cannondale RZ.

mtbr member
    How about the Specialized Camber(120mil version of the Stumpjumper) or if you want a little more all mountain the Pitch. You might be aboe to find some 2010 Pitches on sale right now too.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    i think im gonna pass on the Heckler. ive read that many peoples calves rub on the rear triangle, that would drive me kewkew

ive had my eye on the 2011 Pitch Comp, thing looks badazz....

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    pitch is a great bike, pedals almost as good/better then most of the boutique bikes just not as well spec'd.

perpetual pucker factor
    if you're going for the Pitch, at least have a look at the Giant Reign. Usually, you can get a much better component loadout on it for the same price, if not much cheaper. The Reign is an incredible bike. I beat mine up daily, and it's never had a single issue. Climbs FAR better than the Pitch, has more travel, and feels like a mini DH bike on the way down. EXCELLENT bike.

tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

T.W.O.
    Don't know about the weight difference, but Pitch is about 30ish lbs, probably same as Reign, and heck why not Reign X.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Don't know about the weight difference, but Pitch is about 30ish lbs, probably same as Reign, and heck why not Reign X.
    the X is a little more than i want to spend, $1700 more, actually

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...x0/7324/44550/
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert