mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Looking for a dropper Post

Hey guys
    I have a 2013 Salsa Horsethief and am searching for a dropper post that will fit
    I have 7 inches of exposed post from the top of the seat collar to the rail on my saddle
    We had to cut the stock seat post so I cold have some up and down movement in the frame but I want a dropper post any suggestions
    I have a short inseam at less than 30"
    Thanks

mtbr member
    almost any of the longer seatposts (125 to 150mm or thereabouts) should work for you if you have 7 inches of seatpost sticking out. Just make sure that the lower section is short enough that it doesn't hit that bend in your frame. The manufacturers' sites will have that info. And make sure the diameter you need is offered. I have heard good things about KS and Gravity, and I really like my Rockshox Reverb.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

undercover brother
    My reverb has been the best bike related purchase in a while.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and chime in with my love for the Reverb as well. It's been really reliable, and it's really changed the game for me.

mtbr member
    gravity dropper.... if you buy from their site you can get your name engraved on it. Cool!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I REALLY WOULD NOT suggest the reverb, a lot of them are very... "tempermental" you could say. Some work, some don't, some work for a little while, and then crap out on you. So, I would suggest the KS LEV which is just about the same price as the Reverb. But, if you are on a tighter budget, you can go with the KS Supernatural. Its the next model down, and you can find it for $230 for the 125mm version, and $280 for the 150mm version. Thats the seatpost that I run, and I have NO complaints what-so-ever.

Re: Looking for a dropper Post

I dunno... I've been researching them all over and I've read almost more complaints about KS and terrible customer service for warranty. I've read really good things about the 2012 and newer reverbs, the bad complaints were for the 2011 versions... or so I've read.

Knollician
    I too am looking for a new post. I had a LEV and sold it due to the horribly engineered seat clamp. Since it is not fixed to the post, it creaks horribly and needs tightening every other ride or so. I also noticed some fore/aft play developing in a very short period of time.

I have narrowed down my search to the Reverb (100mm since I only drop my regular post 2.5", and I found the 5" drop excessive), or the Thomson. I like both, and both have their advantages. However, the Reverb has the best lever being hydraulic, and looks to be pretty easy to service at home. Most of the issues I have read with the Reverb have been with the first generation. The 2012 and newer products are pretty solid. Also keep in mind, the Reverb is likely the most popular post, so naturally you will see more complaints. Not to mention, if you look around you can find Reverbs for about $150 less than a Thomson
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thomson Dropper all the way Bit pricey but worth every penny and if the longevity is as good as they say, you will recoup the extra $$$ very quickly.

Team Chilidog!
    Had Gravity Droppers for years. Anytime there's a problem, even if it's years after you bought one, they've honored the warranty. Great CS, and the post is mechanical, so you can work on it yourself with no need to bleed it.

The only maintenance I've had has been to replace the cable and housing 1-2 times a year. No big deal.

Borrowed a friend's bike with the Reverb, but I didn't like the control. It was only for a couple of weeks, so I don't know how about longevity.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    so 7.25' exposed post
    and when I push it all the way in it is 6.25"(max insertion)
    what will work

mtbr member
    I have a Reverb (stealth) as well. It gets used all the time with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Asking what dropper post is like asking what kind of bike should I buy these days. So many choices! Everyone's got a different answer and the other company's post sucks.

I got a Kronolog and it stopped working four weeks after I got it. I packed it and sent it back. Crank Bros told me they'll check it out and fix after one call. I took LeeL's advice and recently purchased a Gravity Dropper. It works well... for now.

I will say one thing, dropper posts are addictive. Feels like cheating almost as bad as Hans Damf tires! I imagine years from now the bikes will pilot themselves.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not exactly asking for what post I should buy, but more so if anyone has any experience with one that will fit with these tight parameters

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    You're going to need to know how deep in the seat tube your post will go. Most of the posts are referred to in total length, like 300mm, 450mm, etc., but don't give dimensions of the portion stuck in the seat tube. If your tube will accommodate a large length, you should have no problem finding one that fits. If it won't drop all the way down, you might need to consider a post that has the ability to limit it's total length like the Kronolog from Crank Bros. It's extension can be limited by 20mm with a spacer from it's 125mm max extension. I have one and it works very well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    I'm not exactly asking for what post I should buy, but more so if anyone has any experience with one that will fit with these tight parameters
    Almost every company will make a dropper post that fits the numbers you wrote. Convert inches to mm since all posts are measured in millimeters.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Another happy Reverb user here.......Mine is two years old and I haven't had a single problem. I have a right handed remote mounted on the left upside down to get it out of the way, this has worked well for me.

29ers Forever
    I have heard great reviews on the Reverb and I am thinking about buying one for my hardtail Trek Cobia.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike