mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Looking to buy a used trail/all-mountain bike. Have a few questions.

So I've been scouring the classifieds lately for a trail/all mountain bike, around 140 - 150mm travel, and really only looking for 2011 or newer.

I have been trying to find a Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, but I am not seeing any of these ever pop up... I wondered why that is? Is this not a model that sold really well?

I have been seeing a ton of Yeti SB-66's come up on the market, and am considering those as well, but I would prefer the SC.

I'm also really eyeing the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon EVO, but I have a few Spec. bikes right now and would prefer to go with a diff brand.

What do you think? Any ideas why the Blur LT / LTC is so hard to find? Any other bikes in this price/travel range that I should be looking at?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    How many santa cruz dealers in the area?.....

I would look at used ibis mojos...

What you trying to spend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I forgot to mention that I live in the midwest. All I have around here are Trek & Specialized dealers and AM bikes are not common around here, all the shops have are XC bikes. I'm trying to spend $3000 for used, trying to get a good deal on a bike with XT or better components, but can afford more if the bike was new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    mojo is all carbon design. in a 140 it probably a great xc bike also with the dw link. if your ok with aluminum that opens up a whole bunch of other brands and models.

what specs are you looking for, headtube angle? is a 160 bike out? would you rather have 150 or 140. lighter or sturdier? shorter and playful? less playfull, longer and more highspeed stable? yetis run longer ;like the latter. what do you ride now? what do you want the new bike to focus on, or where and what type of terrain do you want to ride with it?

if you can dial in these specifics you wont be like I wish I would of got this or that later cuz its a good fit and what your were lookin for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    like for me, I have a 140 bike, had 150 bike and really didn't use all the suspension but rarely. the 140 is perfect. I would probably bottom a 120 bike too often if I set it up plush enough.

my current bike is 68 headtube. but I would actually prefer 67 to plow some little rock sections better. in my mind the banshee spitfire would be perfect. but for some it maybe too slack, and climbs too slow, or for some not enough suspension, or too low of a bb and pedal strikes too much. but for my trails and style l would love it. just cant afford it.

btw low bb bikes corner better but pedal strike more, that's why your trails terrain and how you ride decide the perfect bike for you, a high bb bike would be above 14inch. the low side would be below 13. which also determines how high up the bike postures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think 160 is too much for what I am looking for. I want a bike that can handle rough terrain and small drops and jumps, rocky descents that I ride when I travel out west to Colorado or Oregon, but still be fun and rideable on the short climb/short descent smooth dirt single track we have here in the midwest.

I pretty much ruled out 160mm bikes like the Nomad, Enduro, and Remedy. I really like those bikes, and if I was living on the west coast, I would go for that, but around here they feel too sluggish. I think the 140mm to 150mm of travel seems perfect for what I want.

Right now I have a Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon hardtail 29er, and it is probably the best style of bike for the area, but I'm not looking for a bike that is best for my area I'm looking for one that can handle what the rest of the country throws at it. I've ridden my hardtail 29er at Fruita and at bike parks, and in Colorado, and it's a great bike, but I do not like taking it off of drops or jumps at all.

I'm definitely not opposed to aluminum, I just thought I might try carbon this time around, and as far as angles go I'm not sure which I would prefer, I think I would almost have to do some test riding to be sure.

The bikes I have ridden and loved riding out in Oregon were the Rocky Mountain Altitude (when it was still 26"), the Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, and the Trek Remedy.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not sure what size you are but I know some guys selling their Ibis Mojos around here.

For Sale Medium Orange Ibis Mojo XTR/XT for sale $2800 - MORE Forums

For Sale Ibis Mojo size medium with XT build - MORE Forums

mtbr member
    What are you ridding now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Those are the right size, but I'm looking for newer models, 2011 - 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Not sure what size you are but I know some guys selling their Ibis Mojos around here.

For Sale Medium Orange Ibis Mojo XTR/XT for sale $2800 - MORE Forums

For Sale Ibis Mojo size medium with XT build - MORE Forums

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bet if you look hard enough on other sites and places like craigslist you could find a blur. They are great bikes its not like a specialized where the bikes change every few years so you sell your bike for the next lastest and greatest. I would ride all of them and see if they are what you are really looking for. Make sure you give them a good once over!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have the bike for you.

I'm 5'11" and wish this bike was bigger- part of the reason I am selling it. For "all mountain" riding I like LONG top tubes and short stems. this is a Large but it's on the small side of a Large (compare to yeti sb-66 geo). How tall are you, whats you're preferred saddle height?

I'll take $2500 for this, which is a killer deal on a bike that pedals very well (pusghed rear shock) and is super confident on descents.

2011 Trek Remedy 9.9 carbon, slacked out blinged out, price reduced! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Edit: the Remedy is a 150mm bike, not 160mm, and it has no problems keeping up with my friend on a Mojo SLR. Heck, I even used my Remedy in a very flat (but rocky!) XC race in Kansas and it worked out great.

Take a look at my bike, if you'd prefer the stock 68deg head angle, and I can install the stock cane creek headset. Personally, the current 66.5 deg head angle has never bothered me one bit on the short steep midwest hills I have around Omaha, Des Moines, Kansas City and the Ozarks where I ride.

another Edit: quality of travel is more important than whether a bike has 140 vs 150 vs 160mm of travel. Well tuned (by Push) 150mm of travel can be just as efficient if not more efficient than stock tuned 140mm of travel.

mtbr member
    OP did you see rfxc's bike for sale?

I dont know him or anything but you should take a look...thing is silly nice for the price.

if he drops his price much further I may consider buying it just to part it out and turn a profit or keep the spare wheelset and tires

mtbr member
    would you consider a transition bottle rocket?
    2010 EWR OWB 29er
    2012 Transition Bottlerocket