Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

looking for an agressive hardtail.

Im pretty much set on getting a hardtail for next summer. ill probably wait till late winter or spring to get one. but i figure i should start looking now.

my style of riding is pretty "freestyle" oriented, i like popping off everything, and definitely want a bike more aimed at descending and jumping rather than for xc and uphill riding. though i dont want it to be a slouch, im looking at a hardtail because i want something i can ride around the trails near me, where my full suspension bike is pretty sluggish. also just because i really like the feeling of riding a hardtail.

i dont want to look at DJ bikes, ive spent some time on DJ bikes, and dont like the feeling on trails. ive always felt like im riding on top of the bike, even on bigger sizes.

I also want something i can take to the resorts and hit some of the smoother less technical DH trails and jumps.

Im looking at the transition trans-am and ragley troof, they both seem like they fit my style pretty well, and i like that they take pretty long travel forks. i just want to see what else might be out there.
    and just a thought.. are there any aggressive 29ers that might fit what im looking for?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    are there any aggressive 29ers that might fit what im looking for?
    Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy
    Banshee Paradox

I have a Yelli with Flows & a 140mm Marz Bomber. Super fun bike.Goes up or down very well. Never heard a bad word about the Paradox either
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy
    Banshee Paradox

I have a Yelli with Flows & a 140mm Marz Bomber. Super fun bike.Goes up or down very well. Never heard a bad word about the Paradox either
    wow the yelli screamy looks amazing! still dont know if id wanna go with 29, but that seems like a ton of fun. do u have much experience with resort riding, downhill trails, jumps, more agressive riding etc??

El Pollo Diablo
    I <3 my On-One 456 Summer Season.

Slllllaaaaaccckkk steel rig, but I've had no problems with climbing
    (She's about 33 lbs, 150mm fork, 1x9 w/ a 34t up front)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got the On-One 456 Carbon. Awesome. Slack, low, light, fast, strong. Leave my Intense tracer in the shed unless the track is super gnarly. Don't recommend it if you don't like longish bikes though - it's no manual-monster.

The White Jeff W
    wow the yelli screamy looks amazing! still dont know if id wanna go with 29, but that seems like a ton of fun. do u have much experience with resort riding, downhill trails, jumps, more agressive riding etc??

No. Mostly buff single track around here but Ive done some pretty rocky tech stuff and it handled it fine. There's a few rooty washed out downhills nearby. I can usually just let the bike go with just a little feathering on the brakes. It really is a fun bike. handles great!

Ive seen some videos of people doing North Shore riding, etc but couldnt tell you where they are. Then there's this...

No moss...

mtbr member
    Chromag Stylus

mtbr member
    A TransAM with an adjustable fork should do you well. Based on what you're saying, I don't think you want something super-slack or too long travel, more a properly sized bike that handles like a dirt jumper.

Gary Fisher used to (or still does? not sure) make the Biggun' series, which was somewhere between a trail bike and a DJ bike with shorter chainstays. Something like that with a 100 - 130mm fork on the front can be a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    loving my bagger on the shore. great aggressive geometry; toss on a 160mm fork and ride anything. should be at the top of your list for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Add the Transition TranAm 29'er to the list also... coming in 2012.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS View Post
    Add the Transition TranAm 29'er to the list also... coming in 2012.
    hmmm sounds like that could be really cool. do you have any more info or know where i can get more info?
    im still pretty skeptical about 29ers, they have always seemed like the kind of bikes i would hate to ride. all about serious xc pedaling, not about fun. but now with bikes like the paradox, yelle screamy, transitions new bandit 29er, etc.. they seem to be going towards my style of riding.

i was looking at the chromag stylus too, havent heard a lot about it though.

mtbr member
    Another vote for On-One 456. A few frame materials to choose from too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another vote for the Chromag Stylus here! Love mine, just got it this season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have had a Santa Cruz Chameleon for a few years and have been happy with it. It has an early version of the Fox 32 TALAS. It takes a lot of abuse on my local trails. I haven't taken it to the bike park, although I've been wanting to.

Bionic Mtn Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    I have had a Santa Cruz Chameleon for a few years and have been happy with it. It has an early version of the Fox 32 TALAS. It takes a lot of abuse on my local trails. I haven't taken it to the bike park, although I've been wanting to.
    +1 on the Chameleon.

I have a friend who owns a Santa Cruz Chameleon as well, also with a Fox 32 TALAS, a short stem and 2.35 tires. He uses it for Urban, DJs and VERY aggressive trail riding, taking the difficult lines and jumping/hucking/DHing anything on the trail. He prefers this to his DJ bike because he feels more connected cockpit-wise and he's a lot faster on the trail.

The frame can take forks up to 160mm, 203mm rotors, and 2.7" tires (though a little on the overkill side, hehe). It's a freaking versatile bike.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

DH.FR.0ne
    Im not really a fan of Kona anymore but the 5-0 is a great hardtail for trail and downhill. (or is it five-0?)
    Slack enough angles for DH and stable in the air. Get a 150-180mm fork on it and your laughin.
    Can find em at a good price too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hmmm sounds like that could be really cool. do you have any more info or know where i can get more info?
    No info available yet other than confirmation that TransAm 29er is coming and more info to come at Interbike.

Kona also has a cool new 29er AM Hardtail...

KONAWORLD

Nice short chainstays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know someone already said it, but the Chromag Stylus is one hell of an awesome bike. The geometry is so friggin' snappy. I'm in love with mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Evil Sovereign

- Extremely versatile geometry
    - ISCG 05 tabs
    - Up to 160mm travel fork
    - 4130 Chromoly Steel (adds a degree of comfort over aluminum)

Dislike:

Price
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for an agressive hardtail.-evil_sovereign_prop_big.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are these the types of bikes you can take off of decent sized drops, even though they're hardtails? As much as i would love a bike like that, I don't know that that's possible?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look at the Mountain Cycle Rumble. The size small (15") frame is available on eBay now for 300$ from crosslakesales. I can't post links yet, sorry.

I've had a Rumble for a couple years now and I love it. It's set up as an All-mountain rig with a Pike 454 up front, 2.4" Panaracer Fire FR tire up front and a 2.25 out back, 1x9 SRAM with a Blackspire chainguide. It's a great go anywhere ride. The cool thing is that the entire dropouts are replaceable. The cooler thing is that Mountain Cycle sells 29" dropouts (albeit for a steep 80$ a pair) that will bolt right up in about 3 minutes to replace the stock 26" dropouts.

Unfortunately, it seems you're pretty much SOL at this point unless you ride a small. No more Rumble for 2012.

Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stumpjumper hardtail

mtbr member
    Transition TransAM, Evil Sovereign, or Canfield Yelli Screamy gets my vote!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by utasidian View Post
    I know someone already said it, but the Chromag Stylus is one hell of an awesome bike. The geometry is so friggin' snappy. I'm in love with mine.
    care to tell a little more about it? what type of stuff do u ride? anything you dont like? does it seem like it would be a good jumper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'd recommend a Cotic BFe. Sounds ideal for what you want. Nice short chainstays, longish, low slung top tube. Not to slack, not to steep. Similar to a Chromag but much cheaper.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast