mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Looking for advise on a new bike. I've been absent for over 10 years.

I Appreciate any and all knowledge as I've been reading through the forum with big eyes and a blown mind.

As I've stated, I haven't road in a long while due to life and I just sold my old bike which was a specialized rock I picked up when I was 18 and would travel many miles with it.

Some details about my view and budget.

The type of bike I'm looking for is a hard tail. I don't like full suspension due to losing pump on flat suffices but I like the extra control in the mountains, unless this has changed? (knowledge?)

Budget : 1k US

I'm 6'4 with a 32" hem. I have a longer upper body which I found not all bikes are designed for odd ones like myself (ha)

My goal for the bike is California trails but I live on the beach so riding with the kids on the beach, possible trailer or kid bike extension would be considered being used on this bike.

Components: a light bike would be good but if I were to choose components over weight I'd always choose top components over a lighter bike.

My knowledge:

Lately I feel like a kid in a candy store with limited knowledge, just see lots of really cool stuff that is blowing my mind.

I am noticing this company called Giant? Which is new to me, I'm familiar of brands like specialized, mongoose, schwinn but obviously more fish joined the sea since I road so I'm looking for daily riders knowledge on the latest and anything else to better my search and help me choose a bike that is a great addition to me.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
    Brad

mtbr member
    I recently chose a Salsa Timberjack NX for what you describe. It can take fancy accessories like a dropper but also not-fancy accessories like a trailer hitch and rack. If you want to use a rack other than the one made for it, though, it's not perfect.

I think a Trek Roscoe 8 would have done the job too, but it wasn't in stock when I was buying. The Trek does not have fancy swapping rear dropouts like the Salsa, which means it can never take a thru axle wheel, but it's probably better for the standard rack mount. The X-Caliber is the same frame, or nearly so, and with taller narrower tires.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ver-mtb-1.html

mtbr member
    Also: full suspension bikes are pretty awesome now to ride! But they're not great for racks and trailers. They have thru axles and dropper seat posts. You need an aftermarket axle to mount a hitch and you can't mount a trail-a-bike on the dropper post. And a rear rack is just a total non-starter. $1k is not really enough for full suspension, either. You can find $1200 if you shop hard for a mail order bike on clearance with a very low spec, but approaching $2000 is more in line for a decent aluminum bike.