Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

longer travel FS/XC or "all mountain" frame - options and opinions?

Thinking of replacing my Superlight frame this coming late winter/early spring, and I'd like to hear some ideas on some newer FS frames. Here's what I'm looking for - basically something in the FS/XC or "all mountain" category with at least 4" of rear travel, but 5" would be preferable. I've found that the Superlight's top tube (I'm riding a size L that has a 23.3" top tube) is just too short for me, so I'd like a little longer top tube - somewhere around 23.75" to 24". (This rules out the Blur - same TT measurements as the Superlight.) I'd like to stay as close to 6 lbs total frame/shock weight as possible, and certainly no heavier than 6.5 lbs. I also want to be able to run up to a 120mm travel fork (Fox TALAS is what I have now) without compromising the handling. BB height should be closer to 13" than 12". Here's the kicker - I'm looking to hopefully spend less than $1500, and closer to $1000 if possible. Frames that have piqued my interest recently are the Rocky Mountain Slayer (Supergo deal for $899) and the Turner Burner (also Supergo, 'bout the same price). The Ventana X5 looks like it's right up my alley (wish I'd bought the Pantera instead of the Superlight!!), and the Titus Switchblade looks like a possible contender too. I've also considered a new Heckler. What else is out there? Recommendations? I'm a shade over 6' tall, weigh between 170 and 180 fully geared up, and I ride mostly smooth, non-technical XC stuff with LOTS of climbing, but I want a bike that can easily handle steeper, rockier, more technical DH terrain that my Superlight's racy XC angles just don't seem to like. This would be a go everywhere and do anything bike for me (but NOT a race bike). Can you help a brotha out with some thoughts on this?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    how bout a yeti 575?? i got one in september and love it..6.2 lbs, 5.75 inches of travel...i recently rode a slayer (a friends who wanted to try the yeti) and noticed the slayer had serious brake jack while descending a flight of stairs while the yeti is smooth as butter...imo its a no brainer, the yeti is a very nice ride with a very reasonable weight and price (i think 1399 for a frame? or 1299) anyway good luck
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Any base model Specialized Enduro from 02 to this yr., can be setup with 4"or 5" rear, head angle/BB adjustable with shock link. Dealers were blowing out last yrs. base model for around a grand, not bad for a complete bike, upgradeable at will. It'll handle most burley 5" forks, & comes in a variety of sizes. My 02 large frame weighs slightly over 6 lbs.
    Specialized stands behind a lifetime frame warrentie, I know a guy who wasn't even 1st. owner & recieved a new frame under warrentie.
    All the turner folks are pleased with their 5 spots, a great bike I'm sure, but a consideral amount more $. Prob. would be my next choice.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Check you're PM.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I guess first question would be, why are you getting rid of the Superlight? Just want a new ride, try something new? Were there any characteristics of the SL you didn't like beside TT, like low BB or brake jack?

I only ask because I am looking for a bike similar to you and similar to your weight, but a bit shorter.

I considered all the bikes you're looking at, SL, Heckler, Yeti, Turner, but I think I have narrowed it down to either a Specialized Stumpy 120FSR or one of the Giant Maestro's (probably Trance, but maybe a Reign). Unfortunately they are both new models so no long term review is available, just quick opinions from InterBike attendees.

I would love to get a 5-spot, but out of my price range, Yeti 575 looks good, but I don't like the carbon pivots, Heckler is a single pivot minimal maintenance ride, but has all the single pivot characteristics.

With the 120 FSR I am afraid they took the 100 mm model and just added another 20mm to ride without reconfiguring the geometry therefore not optimizing the extra travel, but just a marketing gimmick for the 'more travel' crowd. This could just me being paranoid, but it's a possibility.

Now, the Giant seems like a great option, but I am leary of bearing life similar to the blur's and I don't know which one fits me better in regards to the 4" vs. 6" models.

So, I don't know if I made any sense or helped you, but that is what I am thinking right now.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Never considered a Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    how bout a yeti 575?? i got one in september and love it..6.2 lbs, 5.75 inches of travel...i recently rode a slayer (a friends who wanted to try the yeti) and noticed the slayer had serious brake jack while descending a flight of stairs while the yeti is smooth as butter...imo its a no brainer, the yeti is a very nice ride with a very reasonable weight and price (i think 1399 for a frame? or 1299) anyway good luck
    What's the quality of the Yeti's these days? I know that "back in the day" when I first switched from BMX to MTB (late 80's) Yeti was all the shiznit, but they kind of dropped off the radar for a while. What's the story with Yeti these days? I hadn't really considered a Yeti, but you're the second person to recommend the 575 so I checked it out. Looks like a fine sled indeed at a good price point.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Checked again...not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    Durn it, I don't think the 575 would work for me. The M size would be too small (18.5" ST, 23.4" TT), while the L is too big (20.5 ST, 24.4 TT). Nice bike, though!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i would test ride before you make the decision, i thought the medium would be too big for me (5'8") but it fits really nicely, you can always add a shorter or longer stem or laid back seatpost if you get the smaller..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

hand me the dice

Second the Enduro

i'm with kneecap on this one. the enduro is the perfect bike for someone thats going to be climbing and you can build it up pretty much any way you want. you can tweak this bike almost endlessly. best bang for the buck out of all of the bikes that have been mentioned and you can find amazing deals on the frames here in the classifieds and on Ebay.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by diiulio
    I guess first question would be, why are you getting rid of the Superlight? Just want a new ride, try something new? Were there any characteristics of the SL you didn't like beside TT, like low BB or brake jack?
    The Superlight was/is my first FS bike. I was a dedicated hardtail only rider until a couple of years ago. I bought the Superlight because it was the closest to a hardtail (short travel) and I was coming off a Gunnar Rockhound that had a super-long TT, and I wanted to try a shorter TT. It's been a great first FS bike, but I started riding more technical terrain this past summer and I've reached its technical performance limits, with its race-inspired geometry and relatively low BB height. Plus, I love my TALAS fork and technically you're not supposed to run anything longer than 100mm on the Superlight frame, so I rarely if ever get to explore the longer end of its travel spectrum.

I considered all the bikes you're looking at, SL, Heckler, Yeti, Turner, but I think I have narrowed it down to either a Specialized Stumpy 120FSR or one of the Giant Maestro's (probably Trance, but maybe a Reign). Unfortunately they are both new models so no long term review is available, just quick opinions from InterBike attendees.
    Unfortunately, Specialized and Giant are two mfrs I just don't know too much about. Odd, because most of my riding buddies are big Specialized fans, and another swears by Giant. I'm leaning towards the Ventana X-5, but it's a little over my price range.

I would love to get a 5-spot, but out of my price range, Yeti 575 looks good, but I don't like the carbon pivots, Heckler is a single pivot minimal maintenance ride, but has all the single pivot characteristics.
    Agreed on all points. 5-spot is a little heavier and spendier than I'd like to go. The Yeti has very strange sizing (the M would be too small and the L too big for me), and the Heckler is basically a beefier Superlight with slacker geometry and I'd like to try a different style of suspension than single pivot.

If I had the $$ right now to spend, I'd probably go with the X-5, although there's no Ventana dealer in my area, so I couldn't ride one first. Decisions, decisions!

www.derbyrims.com

Marin Attack Trail frame

It may be a pound heavier than the lighter 5 inch bikes with the same shock because it's designed for 4 to 6 inch travel. It rides awesome, and is well matched with stock RP3 for your Talas. It's about $995 list price.

Try to get a ride on it (or it's sister the Wolf Ridge).

Adrenalin bikes recently had them on sale for much less.

- ray

only slightly broken
    Titus motolite?

Had a superlight, sold it to get a XCE, wanted more travel so I got a Heckler,
    missed the horst so I got an Enduro, then someone offered me way too good
    a deal on a 5spot, so I have two very comparable bikes and they are both amazing.
    I can highly recommend either, but I would also seriously consider a Motolite...

patrick

http://www.titusti.com/motolite.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Have you seen the Ventana sale on their website? You can get an 04 X5 for $1595 at the moment. Should make your choice easy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

devinci remix

I too am in the same boat as you - coming off a sugar + and just wanting more travel. I have these 3 bikes on my shortlist
    1. Devinci Remix 5.75 inches of travel, 6.6 lbs with shock and almost the exact same geometry as the turner 5 spot.
    2. Heckler - I figure I can't go wrong with this bike but it is heavier than my 155 lbs really needs.
    3. Yeti 575 - if I could get a test ride it'd be higher on the list but I haven't seen one in person

I already rode that
    I just wanted to bump this thread cause it seems like the thing to do to these old threads in this forum.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

BBW
    mtbr member

Wink Motolite

Check redbarncycles (Chad) I bought my Motolite from them
    Read the reviews!!!!!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    I just wanted to bump this thread cause it seems like the thing to do to these old threads in this forum.
    Please don't do that. It waists people's time. I was in the process of responding to this thread when I realized it was too old to be useful to the poster.