Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Long-travel hardtail frame choices and where to buy

This is a popular topic lately; forgive me for yet another post.

I have a hankering to build up a bigger travel hardtail 26er to accompany my regular ride, a Titus El Guapo. I'm selling my SS29er to fund the build. The bike will be used on extremely technical AZ terrain but won't likely be my "go-to" build unless I fall in love with it.

I'm 6'2"/190 pounds and a reasonably skilled technical rider.

What I'm looking for: Steel, reasonable price, ability to accept 150 to 160mm fork, slack, higher BB is better than lower for our trails, in stock somewhere and relatively easy to get. Secondary desires: ISCG mounts, 1.5 headtube, seat tube sized for current dropper seat posts.

I'll be honest that I know almost nothing about this newest generation of 26er all mountain hardtails, other than the reading I've been doing on here. Based on that research, I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

-- Evil Sovereign (most pleasing to me aesthetically, expensive, few retailers)

-- Transition Trans Am (good company, weird seat post size?)

-- Ragley Blue Pig (appears on CRC as a source, inexpensive)

-- On One 456 Summer Season (cheap, hard to find at retail)

I know most folks will recommend the frame they own. Anyone have experience with more than one of the listed frames? I really like the Evil best from a looks perspective, but it's hard for me to justify the price difference. I'd be willing to buy a complete or used build, but these bikes don't really seem to come around for sale often.

Thanks for any insight.

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    What I'm looking for: Steel, reasonable price, ability to accept 150 to 160mm fork, slack, higher BB is better than lower for our trails, in stock somewhere and relatively easy to get. Secondary desires: ISCG mounts, 1.5 headtube, seat tube sized for current dropper seat posts.
    This sounds like you're looking for somethinng like this: Bagger 288

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...ardtails-28062
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    In the market to buy now. Appears that frame is not available.

mtbr member
    What is your frame budget?

have a look at the Dialled bikes Alpine while you are at it.......you can get them sent from the UK to the US for not a ton of coin and they look pretty sharp to boot!

Visit this page for some visuals:

http://www.google.com/images?client=...w=1152&bih=700

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't have a frame budget per se. Like to do the complete build for ~$1,200 with a mix of new/used parts.

The Dialled looks very nice. Again, seems hard to buy. Don't like the integrated der. hanger. We're hard on hangers here in AZ.

mtbr member
    Most steel frames are going to have steel derailleur hangers. Steel bends, and bends back too!

Buy an On One Summer Season from www.unrealcycles.com

Cheap and available.

mtbr member
    In the market to buy now. Appears that frame is not available.
    Bagger 288s will be available early in the new year, not long to wait now...

Although if you want ISCG tabs, replaceable dropouts, slack angles, geo for a 160 fork and you want in now. I highly recommend the NS Surge.

It's one of the nicest looking frames out there and of the people I've met who have one none have a bad word to say about it. Only downside is it's a 27.2 post so limits your choice of dropper seats. Geo's about 67 HA with an extended Pike.

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Bagger 288s will be available early in the new year, not long to wait now...

Although if you want ISCG tabs, replaceable dropouts, slack angles, geo for a 160 fork and you want in now. I highly recommend the NS Surge.

It's one of the nicest looking frames out there and of the people I've met who have one none have a bad word to say about it. Only downside is it's a 27.2 post so limits your choice of dropper seats. Geo's about 67 HA with an extended Pike.
    Yeah, that's a nice frame, it looks so simple and clean,... quite heavy though.
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Kona Steely is cheap and has decent angles. Has tabs as well. Don't know if it will accept a 160 fork, spec is 130. It does come as a frame only.
    I have not ridden one.

I'm with stupid
    Does the summer season have a 1.5 headtube?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Probably going with either the On One or Ragley. The Evil is just too much coin. Frankly, the Trans Am and Dialled are both too expensive as well for my budget.

I e-mailed Unreal earlier today but haven't heard anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72
    Kona Steely is cheap and has decent angles. Has tabs as well. Don't know if it will accept a 160 fork, spec is 130. It does come as a frame only.
    I have not ridden one.
    Frame retails for $599, full bike is $1K with meh specs. I've been over this bike in my mind.

I'm either getting a 2011 Ragley Blue Pig or Bagger/Troof. I wake up every morning with a different build spec in mind.

And to the OP, what size frame you looking to get and how tall are you?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm 6'2. I suspect I'll get an 18" though 20 may be more appropriate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For whatever its worth, here's my $0.02 regarding the Evil Sovereign:

- Generation 2 series frame allows forks up to 160mm without voiding warranty
    - Asymetrical chainstay accommodates larger tires (up to 2.4" depending on where rear wheel sits in dropout) - a 2.4" Conti Trail King is a no go however
    - Sliding drop out system allows adjustable chain stay length (around 16.19" to 16.93")
    - Derailleur hanger is separate from frame dropout making replacement easy (not that you would - its very very robust)
    - Seat brace design allows for a super low top tube, better stand over clearance and lower center of gravity
    - ISCG 05 tabs - much easier installation and adjustability compared to BB mounted ones and if using a taco, chance of it shifting on impact is significantly reduced

I'm not going to comment much on the geometry however - that is a very personal thing. If you like a roomy cockpit with slack head tube and seat tube angles, the Sov delivers.

DISLIKES

- Price
    - Limited color options
    - Paint quality/durability
    - PRICE!

Fanatikbikes sells them PLUS they are just up the street from Evil's headquarters which is comforting should anything go wrong.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 12-02-2010 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    What Chrom said. +1

mtbr member
    Edit: Wrong Thread =]b

Meant to post it here: Steel HT for Pumptrack-Trail-AM
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To follow up, I ended up ordering an 18-inch sqwosh Blue Pig from CRC last night. It actually ended up being a mite cheaper than the 456 Summer Season I was considering from from Unreal, once you factor in the free shipping from CRC (and the mysterious 10% discount on checkout).

Fingers crossed that the frame fits.

If CRC could keep decent stock on Hope brakes and Hope/Flow rims, would've bought those, too.

greedy
    To follow up, I ended up ordering an 18-inch sqwosh Blue Pig from CRC last night. It actually ended up being a mite cheaper than the 456 Summer Season I was considering from from Unreal, once you factor in the free shipping from CRC (and the mysterious 10% discount on checkout).

If CRC could keep decent stock on Hope brakes and Hope/Flow rims, would've bought those, too.
    Are you setting it up as a SS or geared bike?

I'm about to build a 26'er, long travel, hardtail and am not sure if I want a one or multiple gears as a second bike to my full suspension. I haven't had a SS since I was hunting smooth and fast trails. I don't know if I'll like a SS for the steep, rocky, technical stuff I prefer now.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll set this up initially as a 1x9

mtbr member

I'm wondering if I should do the same thing. That price is hard to argue about. I've been waiting for the 20" 2011 Blue Pig ($420), but looking at the geometry, the old Blue Pig that CRC currently sells has a longer TT in 18" than the new 20" that is coming.

One of my old Trek hardtail had the same TT as the old Blue Pig at 23.5" and it felt fine. Maybe I should save myself $150 or so and get the 18" Skwosh Blue Pig and call it a day.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just received shipping notification from CRC. My entire order shipped ... except the Blue Pig frame. Their order notes are vague, but it appears the frame may not actually be in stock (though it shows to be). We'll see if they reply to my message. May have to rethink my build options at this point.

local trails rider
    I think CRC has some "Christmas discounts" going now.

The 18 inch Blue Pigs show "in stock" for me too. My shipments have usually come with the small stuff packed into the box that contains the largest item. Did you order any other large things?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Nope, just some other small stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm looking for the same "kind of bike/ride" .... I was looking for the mmmbop (I know alloy, but that makes it very responsive) ...so I just want 1.5 head tube, 67 HA, bb tabs, and of course very long travel.....no rush though

mtbr member
    CRC are doing a 10% off orders over £50 sale at the minute.
    You would have better luck finding a US Hope dealer and putting your name down for the Pro2/flow rims.

There's a waiting list for them, they've been going much faster than Hope can get stocks of Flows so the most reliable way to get some is to order from a shop and then wait. The DT Swiss/Mavic 521 wheelsets are much easier to come by though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast