mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Long Travel Hardtail 29er ?

Hey guys. Looking for recommendations for a Long Travel HT 29er w 27.5 + option. Iím Currently on a XXL Tallboy LTc and looking to possibly replace it with a long Travel 29er HT. I Ride rocky north east (PA) single track, small jumps and drops. Greens and blues at the bike park a few times a year. But also like a good 25+ mile cross county ride every now and then. Iím a Clyde at 6í4ish and 270#. I have been eyeing up the Cromag Rootdown and also the GG pedalhead. Would love some feedback on these models or any other suggestions that you may have. Thanks in advance for your time. - Matt

mtbr member
    Im on a Niner Ros9 with 140mm of travel, but I am running 27 plus tires. I am in New England and the plus size wheels make a hardtail much more tolerable with the rocks and roots. They no longer make the ros frame and finding a used XL frame would not be easy. I agree you should go with a plus size compatible bike. I would also recommend steel as it adds more compliance.

mtbr member
    Check out the Canfield lineup of hardtails. Carbon(EPO), aluminum(Yelli Screamy), or steel(Nimble 9). I have had two Nimble 9s and an EPO, all with 140 forks, and they may be my favorite bikes of all time. Great deals to be had right now, too!

I fix choppers
    You really can't go wrong with the Surly Karate Monkey, the Honzo, Canfield's Nimble 9/Yelli Screamy, etc. However, my vote goes to the NS Eccentric Cromo 29. Bang-on aggressive geometry, steel, no bs and a bargain.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Hey guys. Looking for recommendations for a Long Travel HT 29er w 27.5 + option. Iím Currently on a XXL Tallboy LTc and looking to possibly replace it with a long Travel 29er HT. I Ride rocky north east (PA) single track, small jumps and drops. Greens and blues at the bike park a few times a year. But also like a good 25+ mile cross county ride every now and then. Iím a Clyde at 6í4ish and 270#. I have been eyeing up the Cromag Rootdown and also the GG pedalhead. Would love some feedback on these models or any other suggestions that you may have. Thanks in advance for your time. - Matt
    Tough order. Your current bike is pretty damn fantastic. I'm a huge long travel hardtail fan and i wouldn't replace an XXL tallboy with one. The range of trails where a LTHT is the most fun is right where your tallboy excels. Like, i wouldn't even buy a LTHT if the tallboy was staying in the fleet. I'd probably optimize the shock (monarch, right?), wheels, and fork.

Me, i have my LTHT and i have an enduro bike with a heavy build kit. That covers a lot more breadth and most situations i don't want to be riding the other bike.

For hardtails, you want at least 470mm of reach, 32 spoke wheels, and a 36/lyrik class fork. Nothing less is worth faffing with.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Nukeproof Scout 290 ^^

If I had a boost fork I'd be running 2.6 (F), 2.4/5 (R)

Currently 140mm travel up front...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    [QUOTE=scottzg;13469927]Tough order. Your current bike is pretty damn fantastic. I'm a huge long travel hardtail fan and i wouldn't replace an XXL tallboy with one. The range of trails where a LTHT is the most fun is right where your tallboy excels. Like, i wouldn't even buy a LTHT if the tallboy was staying in the fleet. I'd probably optimize the shock (monarch, right?), wheels, and fork.

Me, i have my LTHT and i have an enduro bike with a heavy build kit. That covers a lot more breadth and most situations i don't want to be riding the other bike.

For hardtails, you want at least 470mm of reach, 32 spoke wheels, and a 36/lyrik class fork. Nothing less is worth faffing with.[/
    QUOTE]

I do love the Tallboy LTc. At my size I have never been able to get it to pedal how i like it. Also the steeper head angle does not exactly fit my riding style. Currently have a custom tuned DVO diamond and Topaz setup with -1deg headset.

My HT build would be FOX 36 / Lyrik. Longer reach / short stem and a good 32 spoke Carbon 29 wheel set (Likely reserve i9 build) Iím sure I will miss the Tallboy but canít afford to keep both, and I hoping the HT would cover most of my riding without limiting me too much in the chunky stuff and also allowing me to pedal/climb much more efficiently.

mtbr member
    Chromag rootdown ba with a mrp ribbon fork would be bad ass if you want to go as long as 160 if not a then Canfield nimble9 with a 140 ribbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    You really can't go wrong with the Surly Karate Monkey, the Honzo, Canfield's Nimble 9/Yelli Screamy, etc. However, my vote goes to the NS Eccentric Cromo 29. Bang-on aggressive geometry, steel, no bs and a bargain.

Have you tried one? My LBS is a dealer, and I'm thinking of building one up.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mbtr member

My HT build would be FOX 36 / Lyrik. Longer reach / short stem and a good 32 spoke Carbon 29 wheel set (Likely reserve i9 build) Iím sure I will miss the Tallboy but canít afford to keep both, and I hoping the HT would cover most of my riding without limiting me too much in the chunky stuff and also allowing me to pedal/climb much more efficiently.
    I totally understand your perspective. Although i'm 50lbs lighter I've been more than your weight, i've ridden the tallboy and hightower, and i've had a hardon for hardtails that i should have taken to the doctor many years ago.

I've been able to set the tallboy up to be pretty awesome, but the LT just didn't work right for me. I'm not going to offer an explanation for it (it was only a 2 day demo), but i couldn't get it to pedal right and descend right at the same time. The heavier you are the more likely you're going to struggle with the suspension.

With a hardtail the rear suspension is already as ideal for you as it is for anyone else, and generally forks aren't nearly as fidgety so long as you run a bigger one... so hardtails are already more optimized for us large folk than FS bikes are. A hardtail with a big fork and a long reach is pretty incredible when most of your FS options are shitty.

A clydeworthy/sorted FS bike will ride circles around a sorted hardtail. That's life. On a FS bike that handles your size well you can feel more confident, faster, safer, and have insignificant downsides. If you don't care because hardtails are fun (that's my attitude) then a hardtail is still usually superior. If you want to hang with your mates and ride the bike park all day then it's better just to identify the best FS bike for YOU and recognize the tires/suspension/brakes/?gearing? aren't going to be appropriate on the production model.

If you weren't a continent away i'd be happy to loan you my custom hardtail and fatso-tuned enduro bike to see what both platforms are capable of when properly set up for a big guy. 270lbs changes your relationship with the bike so much.

Err, at 270lbs and 6'4 you need a low leverage ratio frame, a somewhat linear (and rising rate is great!) leverage curve, and a somewhat sophisticated shock. >470mm reach. A custom tune and a remote reservoir are things to consider now and certainly when it's time for a rebuild. You also want 8" rotors, a freeride/enduro fork, and 900g+ tires. Carbon rims will not give you the improvements in riding experience that other stuff will. (but if you hit bigger jumps or land jumps crooked or make proper power a quality hub is a no-brainer)

All the above is true whether you're looking at XC whippet or 8" gnar-charger.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I totally understand your perspective. Although i'm 50lbs lighter I've been more than your weight, i've ridden the tallboy and hightower, and i've had a hardon for hardtails that i should have taken to the doctor many years ago.

I've been able to set the tallboy up to be pretty awesome, but the LT just didn't work right for me. I'm not going to offer an explanation for it (it was only a 2 day demo), but i couldn't get it to pedal right and descend right at the same time. The heavier you are the more likely you're going to struggle with the suspension.

With a hardtail the rear suspension is already as ideal for you as it is for anyone else, and generally forks aren't nearly as fidgety so long as you run a bigger one... so hardtails are already more optimized for us large folk than FS bikes are. A hardtail with a big fork and a long reach is pretty incredible when most of your FS options are shitty.

A clydeworthy/sorted FS bike will ride circles around a sorted hardtail. That's life. On a FS bike that handles your size well you can feel more confident, faster, safer, and have insignificant downsides. If you don't care because hardtails are fun (that's my attitude) then a hardtail is still usually superior. If you want to hang with your mates and ride the bike park all day then it's better just to identify the best FS bike for YOU and recognize the tires/suspension/brakes/?gearing? aren't going to be appropriate on the production model.

If you weren't a continent away i'd be happy to loan you my custom hardtail and fatso-tuned enduro bike to see what both platforms are capable of when properly set up for a big guy. 270lbs changes your relationship with the bike so much.

Err, at 270lbs and 6'4 you need a low leverage ratio frame, a somewhat linear (and rising rate is great!) leverage curve, and a somewhat sophisticated shock. >470mm reach. A custom tune and a remote reservoir are things to consider now and certainly when it's time for a rebuild. You also want 8" rotors, a freeride/enduro fork, and 900g+ tires. Carbon rims will not give you the improvements in riding experience that other stuff will. (but if you hit bigger jumps or land jumps crooked or make proper power a quality hub is a no-brainer)

All the above is true whether you're looking at XC whippet or 8" gnar-charger.
    Thanks for for reply and all the info. I also have never had the LT pedal as I would like. On my 3rd custom tuned rear shock at the moment. I think I have had enough. Once it is sold a Clyde worthy hard tail build will be underway. Likely the GG pedalhead.

mbtr member
    Likely the GG pedalhead.
    Sweet. XL all the way!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Sweet. XL all the way!
    I emailed GG, they suggested XL also based on my reach numbers. Now I just need to sell my Tallboy LTc to fund it.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Have you tried one? My LBS is a dealer, and I'm thinking of building one up.
    Yeah, a friend of mine has one. It handles like a champ and the plus tires (he has a Minion DHF/Rekon combo) really ratchet one's inner reprobate way up. The Pedalhead is a really awesome frame too, but the Eccentric's price is hard to beat. They are hard to find as they sell out fast. My friend's shop (also an NS dealer) has me and couple others on the waiting list for them. The 17's are gone, so guestimate is late winter early spring for the new ones to appear.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    I've been eyeballing building a pedalhead for a bit. Being on the the other end of the spectrum height wise 5'7". GG stand over is lower and with my short legs more like my FS Evil Calling . I really like lower stand over if that makes any difference to you. GG being located in Denver is plus also for me . Checks a lot of what I'm looking for 29r or 27+ 140 fork threaded bootom bracket geo etc.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have ordered a Moxie, and will post my thoughts in a month or 2.

Moxie Enduro Hardtail | 27.5/27.5+/29er Compatible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Travel Hardtail 29er ?-pipedream-moxie-1200x600-shrek.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I looked hard at the moxie. Awesome looking rig. The lower stack height kinda killed it for me given my size. But look forward to your thoughts. I ended up ordering a Pedalhead Frame. Just have to wait a few weeks.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Lower stack attracted me

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here she is folks. My custom build XL Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. Just waiting on better weather and a new dropper and she will be ready to shred.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Saw your bike on the GG facebook page, looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Here she is folks. My custom build XL Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. Just waiting on better weather and a new dropper and she will be ready to shred.
    Nice. Looks great. Enjoy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Chromag Primer or Rootdown

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ^^He already posted his new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    ^^He already posted his new bike.
    Thatís cool and the gang

mtbr member

Looking forward to your review....

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mbtr member
    My custom build XL Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead.
    That's a super nice bike and a wonderful build. I can't imagine a better bike for fast smooth trails or for a simple 1 bike quiver.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My Moxie impressions. Pipedream Moxie

mtbr member
    I am really enamored by that Pipedram Moxie, but I can't convince myself that a long-travel hardtail makes sense. It seems that for any trails that warrant 150-160mm fork travel, having rear suspension would be certainly be appreciated, if not necessary. I worry that the front would "write checks that the rear can't cash" and I'd get myself in trouble.

What do you like about the long-travel hardtail compared to a full squish trail bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I am really enamored by that Pipedram Moxie, but I can't convince myself that a long-travel hardtail makes sense. It seems that for any trails that warrant 150-160mm fork travel, having rear suspension would be certainly be appreciated, if not necessary. I worry that the front would "write checks that the rear can't cash" and I'd get myself in trouble.
    I feel the same way. The purpose (performance wise) of suspension is to maintain traction and balance. My hardtail has a 120mm fork and 67* HTA. In the really rough stuff it's the rear of my HT that's misbehaving more so than the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post

What do you like about the long-travel hardtail compared to a full squish trail bike?
    I canít speak to the Moxie. But Im the original poster for this page and came from a 150/135mm Tallboy LT. I finally got my new Pedalhead out last night for it first shred. Itís set at 140mm with very similar geo numbers as the moxie. This bike absolutely rips. Amazingly fun on the downs. Climbs like a goat with minimal flop on the really steep stuff. Of course on the big hits and fast rough sections you will notice the lack of rear suspension at times, but for me itís a none issue, I could not stop smiling. Itís great to feel the power go down on the fast flats and climbs and not soaked up by the rear shock.

Trails are Mixed single track. Some roots and rocks, few jumps and small drops. North east weather sucks right now so only one ride so far. Will post up full review after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    140mm, which is what Pipedream specs for 29 forks, is not that much travel.
    Personalty I think over 150mm you start having an unbalanced bike, but I think the Moxie is spot on

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I love my Moxie and don't see a good reason not to have a long travel HT. Read all about it Pipedream Moxie

One ring to mash them all
    In case anyone's looking for a black sheep, CRC has these completes for $1700 shipped to the US:

Ragley Big Wig Hardtail Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I think I read you could go 140mm on the fork, and the Yari can do that with an air shaft replacement.

They also have 17" & 19" frames for $471 shipped.
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    ó Jonathan Swift

mtbr member
    I finally got my new Pedalhead out last night for it first shred. Itís set at 140mm with very similar geo numbers as the moxie. This bike absolutely rips. Amazingly fun on the downs. Climbs like a goat with minimal flop on the really steep stuff. Of course on the big hits and fast rough sections you will notice the lack of rear suspension at times, but for me itís a none issue, I could not stop smiling. Itís great to feel the power go down on the fast flats and climbs and not soaked up by the rear shock.
    Awesome. I'm keen on adding GG PH to the fleet as well. Everyone who gets one seems fully stoked with it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    🤟Pedalhead

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6280 View Post
    🤟Pedalhead
    What do you like about it?

mtbr member
    In one word - Fit
    Iím 5í9Ē and ride a M. Reach is the most comfortable.
    This is the bike I usually take out on my local trails. Itís the first one I think about for every ride. I have a FS as well but I think the PH does everything so well. Very playful and maneuverable. I just switched from Nobby Nics to Maxxis (27.5x2.8). Front DHF, Rear Rekon. Made a huge difference. I feel I can ďpushĒ the bike into corners and it just tracks.
    I live in CO.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Sounds pretty awesome

mtbr member
    Next up is a 29r setup

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There is something indescribably awesome about a well built long forked HT. I just finished building up a steel Kona Honzo

https://i.imgur.com/l6ACYYo_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

I've had more fun riding in the past few days than I can remember. I grin like an idiot every time I crush the down hill, everytime I clear a jump smoothly, and love the power transfer when climbing.

Anytime. Anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That looks sick. Canít wait to see the full specs on that frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why don't any of these bikes have 2 bottle mounts in the triangle? Seems like the main reason you would want a hard tail.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by wollongongdave View Post
    Why don't any of these bikes have 2 bottle mounts in the triangle? Seems like the main reason you would want a hard tail.
    If you put mounts on the seat tube it will interfere with the dropper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My Chromag Surface has mounts on DT and ST with a dropper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you put mounts on the seat tube it will interfere with the dropper.
    Plenty of XC racers are running droppers on their hardtails now, so I dont think that would be a problem. That plus the fact the bolts are very short on bottle mounts.

mtbr member
    My Giant Fathom had seat tube mounts and a dropper. I had a mini pump mounted there.