mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Long Travel 29er geometry???

Hey guys, first post, 1st year mtn biker. I ride a Fuel EX8,which is cool but I want to upgrade to a 150mm bike. I was checking out the Specialized Enduro 29er or Niner WFO. I'm a fan of the 26" but I cant help it, the 29ers roll good and I can only have one bike so this one has to do some XC duty as well... plus it seems like every new trail has corners built for 29er turns...That being said the Rumblefish was a schoolbus the Kona Satori when it got slow and techy liked to flop the front end and pedal strike everything in the trail, the Epic 29er was fun but I don't like wearing spandex and racing fireroads. Those were my DS 29er demos so far, I get the comparisons on 26" between fuel/remedy/slash using trek but I don't get how the geometry applies to the 29ers,. what numbers do I look at? I need a bike that's all around rideable not just downhill. I'm looking at the Enduro 29er and Niner WFO, the reviews are positive on both but neither one is available to ride around here. Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I won't publish an Enduro 29er review here, just do some searches and you'll find many. We love the bike. It offers things that are exceptionally unique. It's also not for everyone.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'm with stupid
    Any bike with geo like or as close to the yelli screamy or nimble nine will rule them all.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Specialized Enduro 29er is the way to go.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enduro 29er will do the job.

Other than that, although it's "only" 140mm you can also check the Trek Remedy 29er which is good for pedalling and a very good climber too.

Mo.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    A couple other contenders with good numbers is the Intense Carbine 29 160/140, and BMC's new all mountain 29er, which has 150 in the back. The BMC has 17.1" stays.
    Not much in the way of ride reports and reviews yet for either. They both happen to be Carbon, so I would love to read a shoot out between these two and the Enduro!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Banshee Prime

_DSC5872 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

Does it all from epic XC to light/moderate freeride.

Don't get too hung up on chainstay length. I also have a Kona Honzo hardtail (16.3" chainstays) and recently moved the sliding drop-outs back to 16.7" to get some stability back on higher speed rocky downhills, which was lacking. IMHO 17-17.5" is the sweet spot. Other things are more important like reach/top tube length, seat angle, head tube length, stiffness etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try and test ride a Stumpjumper FSR, it's only 130mm but will at least give an idea if you will like a FSR bike. Everyone is different, I found VPP to be a much better climber for me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Specialized Enduro 29er is the way to go.
    +1 on that

Great bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was up in the harbor this weekend and kept my eyes open for an Enduro 29 but no go. The reviews are all positive, except the low BB... The question to the guys who have it, since the Kona Satori I rode seemed floppy in the front when it got slow and technical wont the Enduro 29 get the same way since its even more slack? or does the longer wheelbase make it stable at slow speeds. And by slow I'm talking climbing rocky single track or technical rock gardens where you really cant carry momentum, at least I cant! I've read on here the Banshee is a great bike but the only dealers I have a shot at getting a demo from are pretty much Trek, Specialized, Kona, Norco, Scott or Niner. Its a small long travel community around here. Thanks

perpetual pucker factor
    get a low BB to improve handling and agility. Don't worry so much about pedal strikes. It will take a few rides to get used to pedaling, but you will soon figure out ways to avoid pedal strikes. I have a 12.8" bb height on my Canfield, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It handles SO much better! I no longer even think about when/how to pedal, as I've gotten so used to it. I had never realized how much I just ham-fisted/fumbled my way through rough sections before. It took half a dozen rides, but I really don't even notice it at all anymore. The lower bb has made me a better rider.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Propr
    Transition Bandit 29er or Covert 29er - Check'em out.
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    08 Demo 7 II
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I dig my Remedy 8 29. All I've done so far is get a 2014 FIT damper installed in the fork (2013 Evolution damper is AWFUL), 50mm stem, 350mm seatpost, and went tubeless and it's killer! Many trips down Braille, a few Downieville runs and I can't imagine a better all-around bike for myself. I can haul ass on flat/slightly uphill trails right with my XC buddies, and follow the lines of my buddies with somewhat built up FR bikes on some local trails. Yes, it gives up on the XC bikes on long, steep climbs, and it does give up on FR bikes in nimbleness and burliness, but when I can go out and do a 20mi loop with 5000' of climbing and a few light DH trails thrown in while shredding the whole time on one bike? Love it.

About to throw on burlier tires on some Hope/Flow EX wheels and a KS LEV Integra to really make this beast a quiver killer.

Long Travel 29er geometry???-0722131231.jpg

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    I dig my Remedy 8 29. All I've done so far is get a 2014 FIT damper installed in the fork (2013 Evolution damper is AWFUL), 50mm stem, 350mm seatpost, and went tubeless and it's killer! Many trips down Braille, a few Downieville runs and I can't imagine a better all-around bike for myself. I can haul ass on flat/slightly uphill trails right with my XC buddies, and follow the lines of my buddies with somewhat built up FR bikes on some local trails. Yes, it gives up on the XC bikes on long, steep climbs, and it does give up on FR bikes in nimbleness and burliness, but when I can go out and do a 20mi loop with 5000' of climbing and a few light DH trails thrown in while shredding the whole time on one bike? Love it.

About to throw on burlier tires on some Hope/Flow EX wheels and a KS LEV Integra to really make this beast a quiver killer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0722131231.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	830037
    The Remedy 29er is a great bike that should live forever. It has less travel than the 155 in the Enduro 29, but that is OK because the Remedy has a full floater, which in theory makes a shorter travel bike feel like it has mre travel.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ya the remedy is on my short list too, might be able to get a demo on it actually. I guess the other question is once you get to 120mm why not all the way to 155? Seems most them all way 30ish lbs. does having more travel hamper its climb and xc that much? Thanks for helpin the newbie, my other hobby of racing enduro on my ktm makes me want the most suspension possible but everyone keeps saying "too much bike"...