mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Long Travel 27.5", Nomad or ....

I have spent the last year turning a 5010 into what its not. I have a Fox 36 set at 150 and an 11-6 on it. I want to bring that bike back to stock and put the upgraded parts on a new frame. I ride parks 5-10 times a year and have some pedal up downhill near me. I also want to be able to use it on some more mellow stuff too, so not a straight downhill bike. I might race some enduro events this summer too. I will still have the 5010 for local xc stuff. I want to keep it in the $2k range so I'm mostly looking at alloy frames.

My front runners are the Nomad 4 alloy, 2018 Transition Patrol, GG Megatrail, and the YT Capra. These are all bikes that I can get my 11-6 rejiggered for. I'm just paralyzed over which one. They all get screaming reviews. The YT comes built so I have some stuff to sell and a spare drivetrain. I'm drawn to the Nomad because it is so big but people say it pedals great. And I'm pretty interested in Transition's new geometry.

If anyone has any insights or has made this choice recently, I would love to hear about it. Also, anything else I should have on my list?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have a GG megatrail and love it! the 150 (trail mode) is great for daily use! and the 165 (gravity mode) is just incredible for going warp speed and taking ridiculous lines.

also the guys/girls at GG are amazing , you will not find any better customer service than them (well maybe MRP). I will definitely be purchasing another GG bike (trailpistol or pedalhead)

Biking Like Crazy!
    I think I had read somewhere that the 11-6 won't fit the Nomad 4 yet, but they are working on that. You might want to check with first if you want the Nomad.
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Niner Rip9 RDO
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I think I had read somewhere that the 11-6 won't fit the Nomad 4 yet, but they are working on that. You might want to check with first if you want the Nomad.
    There is a thread on that in the Santa Cruz forum. So far it seems to be designed and prototyped. Maybe just a few months till release? I think I could manage on the air shock till then. They also said they will only keep updating if they don't get a flood of calls, so I'm doing my best to just guess about whats going on.

I think the Capra is out for me. The geometry just seems dated compared to the others.

Of the rest I am the most interested in the Transition. This might just be due to the fact that it is prettier than the others. Does anyone know what happens if you don't run a fork with their proprietary offset? And if its an explosion, how much does it cost to convert my fork?

I'm with stupid
    Take a look at the canfield Balance as well. Bike shreds

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Problem is these days, there are so damn many good bikes out there. It would be hard not to enjoy a new Nomad or Patrol or Megatrail. That said...

I think you owe it to yourself to look at the Canfield Balance, particularly if you prefer shorter chainstays.

Beyond being a fantastic bike, you can order it without a shock and save a couple bills.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Out of those, I'd probably get the GG Megatrail for the suspension design. Simple, effective, no pivot in between the dropouts and BB pivot-so laterally rigid, with 1x will pedal well, etc.

But out of all of them, I choose my RFX with it's custom tune suspension
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Take a look at the canfield Balance as well. Bike shreds
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Problem is these days, there are so damn many good bikes out there. It would be hard not to enjoy a new Nomad or Patrol or Megatrail. That said...

I think you owe it to yourself to look at the Canfield Balance, particularly if you prefer shorter chainstays.

Beyond being a fantastic bike, you can order it without a shock and save a couple bills.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I briefly looked at them before but wrote them off because no boost. Thinking about it, it would be no big deal to relace my rear wheel to a non boost hub. Looking though, there is one 2016 medium frame in their webstore. Maybe there is an update on the horizon? I might give a call on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! I briefly looked at them before but wrote them off because no boost. Thinking about it, it would be no big deal to relace my rear wheel to a non boost hub. Looking though, there is one 2016 medium frame in their webstore. Maybe there is an update on the horizon? I might give a call on Tuesday.
    If it's any help I believe the Balance frame can accommodate boost hubs if you order a longer axle. It's a killer deal for a pretty sweet frame if they have your size in stock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Yes the Balance will allow for a boost rear end and is Canfield approved to run it that way.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    can you change the travel on the Fox 36? I think most of these bikes need something more than 150mm. But to answer the question. I vote for the Megatrail. American made? Hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    If it's any help I believe the Balance frame can accommodate boost hubs if you order a longer axle. It's a killer deal for a pretty sweet frame if they have your size in stock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Yes the Balance will allow for a boost rear end and is Canfield approved to run it that way.
    Thanks for that. It looks like they are changing to 2018 models. Too bad I wasn't looking sooner. The medium that is all they have in stock wont work for me. Hopefully they keep it alloy for 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Out of those, I'd probably get the GG Megatrail for the suspension design. Simple, effective, no pivot in between the dropouts and BB pivot-so laterally rigid, with 1x will pedal well, etc.

But out of all of them, I choose my RFX with it's custom tune suspension
    Thanks! I've tested the Patrol and the Nomad so I'm getting a handle on what I want geometry wise (loooong!). But I don't look at suspensions like I should. Checked out that Turner. I was lusting after one of those fifteen years ago! Doesn't look like they have a frame only option. And even if they did, the carbon would probably be too pricey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    can you change the travel on the Fox 36? I think most of these bikes need something more than 150mm. But to answer the question. I vote for the Megatrail. American made? Hell yes.
    Yes. The 27.5" fork can be bumped all the way to 180mm, I think the 29" can go to 160mm. All it takes is installing a new airspring, its about a $45 part. There is also a version that can be lowered to 100mm that can't be extended all the way to 180mm, so you do have to check the fork model.

I do keep coming back to the Megatrail. The Patrol and the Nomad haven't won me over yet and I'm interested to try something different. That army green with blacked out parts and big white wheel decals would be a killer bike. How does it climb in Gravity mode? Do you have to change from gravity to trail during the ride? I get two different damper circuits and I am wondering how I would have them set up.

I am really just bouncing all over the place. I'm pretty interested in the Knolly's and the Canfield too! Its not too bad though. I love picking out a new bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ok, I'm going with forum consensus and weighing the Balance against the Megatrail. I am curios about a few things though. Are there big changes on the horizon for the Balance that I should wait for or is it just going to be minor changes and new colors? If its the latter I feel like I would be ok with a used one. And would the chainstays being 7mm shorter than the Megatrail be noticeable? As to the Megatrail, head angle is steeper. Anyone running an Angleset to put it in the 64.5-65 degree range? And if so, any ill effect on steering? I'll probably always keep it in gravity mode.

mbtr member
    The megatrail and balance have 30mm of wheelbase separating them. That's a lot and i don't think these bikes really compare directly. If you have a short travel bike and plan to run the GG in the low setting i don't think the balance is going to be what you want. Too balanced.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    The megatrail and balance have 30mm of wheelbase separating them. That's a lot and i don't think these bikes really compare directly. If you have a short travel bike and plan to run the GG in the low setting i don't think the balance is going to be what you want. Too balanced.

Thats true if you compare size to size. I am considering the Balance in large and the Megatrail in medium. I think that the reach and effective top tube are showing that those are the closest in actual size. Then the wheelbases are only 16mm different. I would also be running the Balance with a 170mm fork versus the 160 that their geo numbers are generated with, so that would put the wheelbases a bit closer again. Just with the Balance still having the 7mm shorter chainstays. I am getting from what you are saying that you think the Balance is an allrounder and that the Megatrail in low is a pedally gravity bike? One thing that I do not have a lot of experience with is suspension designs and how they interact with shocks to give specific characteristics.

I guess one thing that I am worried about with the Megatrail is that it has all this versatility with trail modes and even a different bike with a shorter shock. I am going to be using one of those options, maybe two. In my experience, there are compromises made for versatility and I would be living with the compromises and getting none of the versatility. I might be wrong on this though.

I'm with stupid
    Balance is a little DH sled. Mega is not as sled worthy. The multi link canfield suspension will out perform the FSR set up on the Mega. The balance with a 170 for is at 64.5 HA and makes it even more of a DH monster. I have ridden both and the Balance wins hands down for me. The only place the mega has a edge is that is weighs less on a scale. But pedals worse so, I call it a wash. All this said with GG being about 45 mins from my front door. I do not know what is on the Horizon for the balance. Canfield is very tight lipped about what they are working on and do not drop info until they have bikes in stock and ready to sell. I would not think anything major is coming till Oct 2018 ish and I think that will have more to do with the riot. But do not quote me on it im just guessing.

Disclaimer: I am a huge Canfield geometry fan. Once you ride one you will see why they have almost a cult like following.

mbtr member
    Balance is a little DH sled. Mega is not as sled worthy. The multi link canfield suspension will out perform the FSR set up on the Mega. The balance with a 170 for is at 64.5 HA and makes it even more of a DH monster. I have ridden both and the Balance wins hands down for me. The only place the mega has a edge is that is weighs less on a scale. But pedals worse so, I call it a wash. All this said with GG being about 45 mins from my front door. I do not know what is on the Horizon for the balance. Canfield is very tight lipped about what they are working on and do not drop info until they have bikes in stock and ready to sell. I would not think anything major is coming till Oct 2018 ish and I think that will have more to do with the riot. But do not quote me on it im just guessing.

Disclaimer: I am a huge Canfield geometry fan. Once you ride one you will see why they have almost a cult like following.

Quite a claim! Seems like canfield is fighting an uphill battle with the short wheelbase, tiny chainstays, and pedally linkage. Pretty cool!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Trail Ninja
    Europeans have an easier decision. Nothing really touches the Radon Swoop for value ($2666 USD), overtaking the Capra with its longer and lower geo. Doesn't help your decision, but at least might be interesting trivia.

Also interesting how people use the term "cult-like" to make something appealing. xD
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Quite a claim! Seems like canfield is fighting an uphill battle with the short wheelbase, tiny chainstays, and pedally linkage. Pretty cool!
    Ridden one? You might be surprised. Not saying that predictive analysis of the geographic chart is not accurate the GG does "look" more plowy to some but riding and looking are different in this case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    Ridden one? You might be surprised. Not saying that predictive analysis of the geographic chart is not accurate the GG does "look" more plowy to some but riding and looking are different in this case.
    No, i haven't ridden one, although i'm a former canfield owner and fan. I just feel like really nicely tuned suspension/tires/brakes and a stiff chassis can make a short bike punch above its weight, but it's ultimately limited by that short wheelbase. That said, if you can't use the length then it's a waste.

I'd love to ride one! I almost bought one when i broke my canfield, but they didn't have any XLs in stock and i was on a big bike vacation and couldn't be bikeless until they got more off the boat. ...so i have a patrol, which i'm psyched with.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Thanks for the insight! And its great to hear from someone who has ridden both. I just realized that Canfield is about two hours north of me and I sometimes go ride in Bellingham. Sadly, it will be forever till I can get a weekday to go up there and demo one. I am having troubles sorting out if I am best on a medium or large. I'm 5' 8" with a 32" inseam and average length arms. The large has a crazy tall seat tube it seems on paper so it would be like a 125 dropper at most which I'm not sure I'm ok with.

Does anyone have a weight on the Balance frame without shock? I'm not concerned with weight for this bike but am always curious.

I'm with stupid
    My large was 9.3lbs with a cane creek double barrel air cs. So whatever math that turns out to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My large was 9.3lbs with a cane creek double barrel air cs. So whatever math that turns out to be.
    Thats almost exactly the same as the Patrol and alloy Nomad frame. The Megatrail is really the outlier in weight coming in about a pound and a half lighter! I should still be able to build one up under 33#. They are out of frames till summer but I have found a used one for a fair price and am going to go for it. Its a large and I'm 5'8" but I have been wanting to try out this long bike thing for a while. I can still get a 150mm dropper on it and thats enough for me. If it doesn't work for me I'll probably be able to move it on for not much loss and try the Megatrail.

I'm with stupid
    sweet! post up what you come up with!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    IMG_2519 by leland gibson, on Flickr

Finally had my first ride in today. What a bike! I'm not seeing my 5010 getting a ton of use in the near future. It goes up surprisingly well for what it is. Built up to 32.5

These are mostly parts I had already, still waiting on the internal 150 dropper and I need to shorten the chain. The Elevensix is on its way back from Push.

Thank you all for the help!

I'm with stupid
    awesome!! Looks great. Raw bikes are bad ass! Welcome to the cult...haha