Thread: Log Rolls

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Log Rolls

Although I have been riding for a long time I now have grown the "courage" to go over bigger and bigger downed trees. Some have been built up and others are are not. I recently got a new bike and it helps, but sometimes I roll up to it and stop. The built up log rolls a lot of the time are not built up the best and the far side is messed up with the sticks all over the place. It is mentally easier on the waist high ones with no build up but if I do not get enough speed and I land straight down on my Fox 130 RLC it could go back or forwards. Are there things / tricks that can help. Bigger travel bike, shorter stem, longer 36mm fork, lower saddle height, protective gear, etc. I realize that it is 90% mental. If you can lift the front wheel up onto the log then jump the rear wheel up and land the front down nicely, piece of cake. The other trail riders sometimes build up the logs less than 30" and that screws it up.

I have seen videos / pictures of other trails in other areas and it looks like the logs are well maintained with packed branches as a build up that do not move, sometimes they cut a v out of the crown.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Your absolutely right in that mental attitude has alot to do with it. I used to do the same as you, roll up to it and stop, look at it and think about it.... then usually walking/riding around the obstacle and continuing on.

I finally realized, you just have to commit yourself 100%.

I cant remember his name, but one of the members on here that posts quite a bit has written in his signature "Commit or eat Sh%$". That is so true....

mtbr member
    i totally agree

#1 sometimes my clips can be a mind block - "what if i cant unclip"
    #2 if something is really big or bigger then the usual - "what if i land face first"

stupid really cause most of the time when you do end up going over the log or jumping that jump or doing that rocky terrain and you realize you can do it easy, you go back 10times and do it again.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I can't see that you're doing anything wrong (except not commiting). IMO it would be stupid not to check out the backside of a log pile beforehand. I've built plenty of smaller log piles, and I know that it's tough to get the angle right and to find the correct size of logs to make the thing rideable. To often I find that people have wussed out and built up the front but not the rear or built it too steep. You have to figure that most riders want to do that -- RIDE. They don't want to bother making a stunt. It takes a lot of work to find the material and build it correctly, test the ride, make adjustments. So I say, always take a good look at the pile before attempting. Walk it with your bike if possible, and you'll be able to tell how it will ride.

mtbr member
    I absolutely agree 100%, know what is on the other side, lol. I just assumed (from reading his post) that he was familiar with the trails, and the obstacles.

I dont belong to any local groups, but i can really appreciate all the hard work and imagination that goes into trail building. I do my best to help in keeping the trails in good shape, and CLEAN. i get so aggravated when i see trash or anything that lazy arse's cant take with them.

anywho, im digressing, always remember this.... bikes are meant to roll, and they will roll over just about anything you decide to point them in the direction of,

I think you'll be surprised (as long as the obstacle isn't insanely big, or beyond your skill level), that if you commit and see yourself doing it, you'll go right over it.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "Commit or eat Sh%$".

I like that!

A nice bike helps the confidence, im usualy worried that the bike will break and I have to walk home. Recently I upgraded my bike with shimano saint cranks and replaced the large cog with a alloy bash gaurd and some tough platforms and im doing alot of crazy stuff.

livin' large
    If you like that expression, get theese:

http://store.nsmb.com/index.php?main...products_id=27
    it tied the room together man!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    ...It is mentally easier on the waist high ones with no build up...
    If you can ride over a 40" high unramped log you should be able to ride over anything.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    If you like that expression, get theese:

http://store.nsmb.com/index.php?main...products_id=27
    Oh great, i was looking for those, now I have to get some blue ones.