Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A little help for a cross coutry guy

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  zebrahum 
#1 ·
I race cross country but now making the switch to downhill. I wasn't sure if I could get away with a 6" travel bike or if I should go with 7". I'm 5 10" and can get a smoking deal on a KHS Lucky 7 but it's a size small frame. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
If you mean actual DH racing then it depends on the courses you're planning on riding. The lucky 7 could probably handle most courses but the rougher it gets the more you'll be at a disadvantage to the guys with even more slack geometry or more travel. You could ask the people in your regional forum about the courses you are planning on riding and if you would be able to race there on that bike.

Short answer is yes, but you might not make the podium on some courses.

#7 ·
pfox90 said:
You wouldn't need a L DH bike unless you were like 6'5 lol
i completely disagree with that comment.
it all depnds on the bike, the lenght of you arm and how you like your position on the bike.
I had a few medium bikes (am/xc and dh) and all in all i'm way more confortable with a Large bike. I only buy large bikes now.

try to ride the bike before you buy, or at least sit on it to get the feel of the bike.
what size you xc bike is?

#9 ·
pfox90 said:
Come back to me when you destroy yourself because the bike is too big.
I'm a mere 6' and almost universally I feel more comfortable on L bikes including DH bikes. I have a long torso and I feel cramped on medium sized bikes. It's really person and bike dependent. Your misinformation isn't really helpful and you're being a dick about it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.