Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    powered by bacon

Light, strong crankset

Can anyone recommend a good crankset and bb that is less than 800 grams and will hold up to rocky, technical, am riding. I'd like to keep it below $350. Will be used 1x10
    Last edited by helidave; 12-19-2012 at 10:11 AM.

I'm with stupid
    Its a bit above 800 but with a single chain ring will be pretty close but I have had great luck with XT cranks with tons of rock hits and still going. Im trying out a XO setup right now we shall see if that gives me as much faith. I have had my XTs for 3 summers now and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Another vote for an XT double, just replace the big ring with a bash. It'll help keep the chain on and protect the chainring in the chunk. 820g with both rings, probably a bit less just a bash on the outside.
    "Got everything you need?"

powered by bacon
    Just saw the new sram xx1. 650 grams and should still work with 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    I have been looking at that crankset too, and according to this thread it will work fine with 10 speed.

SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Huffy Rider
    Middleburn or devinci. Ti bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    I'm running XO with MRP Bling ring with no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good crankset and bb that is less than 800 grams and will hold up to rocky, technical, am riding. I'd like to keep it below $350. Will be used 1x10
    I would check out E13's TRS+ cranks that just came out. Will be my next cranks to replace my very robust and heavy Saints on my AM bike.
    Ride On!

powered by bacon
    It looks like the xx1 will be hard to beat for the price and weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am of the opinion that 2 piece with a pinch bolt (shimano and a few others) is the best design around. The pinch bolt design lets you set the bearing pre load exactly.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Stay away from Rotor. I had one of their cranksets on my RIP 9 when I bought it used; broke the spider in 2 weeks. Now have a XT triple w/ bashguard and it seems to be working great.

mtbr member
    It looks like the xx1 will be hard to beat for the price and weight.
    Yep, would be my prefered 1x trail/AM set-up, but after you buy the required cassette, rear der, shifter, chain, your in it well above a grand, ouch! And the idea of having to replace the cassette and ring every year for well over $500 for disposable parts that need to be replaced somewhat regularly is crazy talk, unless you are made of money of course.
    Ride On!

powered by bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Yep, would be my prefered 1x trail/AM set-up, but after you buy the required rear der, shifter, chain, your in it well above a grand, ouch! And the idea of having to replace the cassette and ring every year for well over $500 for disposable parts that need to be replaced somewhat regularly is crazy talk, unless you are made of money of course.
    None of that stuff is required... Plenty of people are running the xx1 crank with 10 speed chain/cassette/derailleur

mtbr member
    None of that stuff is required... Plenty of people are running the xx1 crank with 10 speed chain/cassette/derailleur
    Nice...if that's the case then should definitely be a good option for ya. If I went 1x, I would have to get all the other XX1 stuff to take full advantage of the 10-42 gears out back. 1x10 is not enough gears for me as I like to run at least a 36t ring up front and do a lot of long, sustained steep climbs to get to good descents around my neck of the woods, so it's 2x9 for me all day. Come Enduro season, probably go 1x9 for optimal chain retention (but thicker rings such as Blackspire SuperPro's w/bash and front der does pretty good as well for not losing chains).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jensonusa has the SRAM XO GXP 2x10 for $179 (plus bottom bracket). I picked up one with the Truvative bottom bracket and and MRP Bling Ring for around $260. They only have 170mm left but its a great deal if the lenght worked.

Weight was around 600 grams. Add the Race face rubber boots for $10 and you have your rock protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Saint. You'll never need to buy another crankset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Saint. You'll never need to buy another crankset.
    True that as that is what I am running on my AM bike as well. But Saints are about 1/2 lb heavier and more money than was OP is looking for.

Saints are solid as f%#% though and I noticed them to be much stronger and stiffer than XT or SLX, especially when stomping landings when jumping, railing turns w/angst and standing and mashing on the pedals thru chunky terrain. Bombproof they are My only dis with them is they are noticeably the stiffest thing on my bike, lending notice to some frame and wheel flex with hard riding on my "AM" bike and they are much heavier than other cranks of course.
    Ride On!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    If you're crank shopping, buy Jgusta's E13 cranks in the classifieds!

I am running E13 cranks & BB on my banshee prime, they are hands down the best cranks I've ever owned (and yes, I've owned saints). Noticebly stiffer than the XT's they replaced, totally silent, super Quick & easy install & removal.

Personally I am not a fan of the NDS pinch-bolts on shimano's crank designs. They are in an impact area and tend to get packed up with bark & rock. It's also difficult to use a torque wrench on them as the cranks want to spin as you are applying leverage to the wrench, which can round out the bolt heads. Lastly, they get creaky if you don't use a torque wrench.

Ow!
    Well, the RF Sixc crankset would easily meet your <800 grams, but not for $350. Jenson is selling the double/bash 9s for 410 right now though. I am interested, just concerned with ending with a well-beaten carbon crank to look at, but just looks (supposed to be strong and very stiff). I don't ride South Mountain, but enough of that kind of stuff around Tucson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    True that as that is what I am running on my AM bike as well. But Saints are about 1/2 lb heavier and more money than was OP is looking for.

Saints are solid as f%#% though and I noticed them to be much stronger and stiffer than XT or SLX, especially when stomping landings when jumping, railing turns w/angst and standing and mashing on the pedals thru chunky terrain. Bombproof they are My only dis with them is they are noticeably the stiffest thing on my bike, lending notice to some frame and wheel flex with hard riding on my "AM" bike and they are much heavier than other cranks of course.
    Ah, if only Shimano would give us XT with steel pedal inserts...or even an updated SLX crankset with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    If you're crank shopping, buy Jgusta's E13 cranks in the classifieds!

I am running E13 cranks & BB on my banshee prime, they are hands down the best cranks I've ever owned (and yes, I've owned saints). Noticebly stiffer than the XT's they replaced, totally silent, super Quick & easy install & removal.

Personally I am not a fan of the NDS pinch-bolts on shimano's crank designs. They are in an impact area and tend to get packed up with bark & rock. It's also difficult to use a torque wrench on them as the cranks want to spin as you are applying leverage to the wrench, which can round out the bolt heads. Lastly, they get creaky if you don't use a torque wrench.
    Cheers..thanks for the promo man! I just got these from E13 direct last week, along with a bunch of other goodies from them that I'm keeping (guide, rings, BB) for placing 1st in my Cat at Oregon Enduro Finals race in Sept. They look like very nice cranks and some lighter than Saints I think. Would keep them if I already didn't have the Saints and wanting the TRS+ cranks for a little lighter package. E13 would only send me the LG1+'s or XCX's for winning, not TRS's so selling them.
    Ride On!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'd pick 'em up myself for the winter hardtail build project, but alas the holidays killed my budget (and I have some beatdown XT's that will get 'er done for now).

usually cranky
    if your going xt might as well go slx. cheaper and barely heavier. i think when you replace the ring with a ss ring any weight difference shakes out in the wash.

Helmetless Crasher
    I recently just picked up a set of '11 FSA SL-K Light carbon cranks w/ BB30 for about $250 on e-bay. Been running them for about 3 months. Have had a few major rock strikes, but zero damage. Quite stiff and reasonably lightweight (below your limit), bling-blingy too.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Have two sets of e13 cranks... good stuff, stiff strong, solid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast