Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light Rubbers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Light Rubbers

Hey all,

I've been running Conti Trail King 2.4 UST black chiles front and rear for about 2 years now on my '11 Remedy. I have them setup tubeless at 24psi front and 27psi rear on WTB Frequency i23s. After going through 6 of the TKs, I'm thoroughly impressed with the grip and durability (only one sidewall tear, no flats, no burping)! The TKs just have a huge volume, roll decently fast, and are great in just about everything. I've done everything from lift access DH to 50 mile XC races with the TK 2.4 UST.

But...

The TK 2.4 USTs are so damn heavy (1110 gr)! I've been getting restless and started looking at some of the lighter options out there. Seems like there are a quite a few sub 800 gr larger width (2.3+) tires available. Giving up 1.5lbs+ of un-sprung rotating weight seems like a pretty big deal to me, but I obviously don't want to give up much grip or durability. I enjoy riding aggressively and have built up my Remedy to reflect this (heavy with a 160mm Vengeance HLR coil). If lighter, weaker tires force one to dial it back a bit, then I'd rather avoid them!

So what do you guys think? Stick with my lovely TKs and deal with the weight, or experiment with some lighter rubbers? Any recommendations on lighter all mountain tires?

Thanks!

The Fastest of Bananas
    What are your requirements?

UST?

The non ust Mountain king 2.4s are reasonable

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would try some tubeless ready tires in the 800gm range. Still durable but but much lighter and will liven up your ride. Yours are heavier than I'd be willing to pedal to the top. I'm on On-One Chunky Monkeys 2.4 (800gm range) and they are beefy and grip very well. Lots of good tires in this range.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Weapon of Choice
    Just go with the Protection version 2.4 Trailkings and problem solved!

Super Unknown

mtbr member

Light Rubbers

Or TR Hans Dampf front and TR Hans Dampf out back or if trails dry or less aggressive Nobby Nic in the back or even a Trail King Protection 2.2. My personal opinion is that Mountain King 2s are utter garbage on rocks and roots particularly when even a little damp never mind wet but Trail Kings are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usually cranky
    trojan extra thin. oh, wrong forum...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Agreed with Hans Dampf. the 2.35 may still a bit smaller compare to TK 2.4, but pretty close IMO.
    MK2 2.4 is narrow, same width with ardent 2.25.
    Or you can try Ardent 2.4, 860gr.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My Hans Dampf Trailstar rear didn't last 3 months. Gripped well while it lasted though.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member

Light Rubbers

Trailstar front Pacestar rear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Seems like the Protection version of the Trail King is kind of a no-brainer, considering you are already a big fan of the Trail King tread design and Black Chili Compound (UST is Black Chili, right?).

Predicting how well the sidewalls of a lighter tire will hold up is impossible to tell. Some people are much harder on sidewalls than others. Only way to know is to try.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Exo's are great and relatively light (880grams). I've been running Specialized ground control Butcher Fr , Clutch Rr (weight it 760gram)on my FS and have been very impressed, run them at a little higher PSI and they're very aggressive.
    nothing witty here...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Maxxis Exo's are great and relatively light (880grams). I've been running Specialized ground control Butcher Fr , Clutch Rr (weight it 760gram)on my FS and have been very impressed, run them at a little higher PSI and they're very aggressive.
    I run the Butcher of front as well, and love it. I is my favorite front tire under 800g (mine is around 775g). Only thing that OP should keep in mind is that it is a much smaller volume than the Trail King 2.4. FWIW, my Rubber Queen (old TK name) non-ust weighed in something like 930g or 960g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I like the Bontrager XR4 team issue 2.3, big volume and sick tread. The latest TLR or Team issue is said to be better for tubeless but I've had no problems with them. I'm 230 and go fairly fast and through technical stuff on a 160mm bike. Not bombproof but never torn a sidewall like some have said on the old tread design that looked lame. Also the WTB Vigilante is for Enduro racing and looks pretty beef and directionally aggressive, made for their UST rims so it is heavier but burly and they also make an AM 740g tire too-I may just get that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Good job!

Thanks for all the input people!

UST isn't a requirement, but they better be able to seal up and not burp. Also, the trails around here are mostly hardpack with lots of rock and chunder. We lack loamy conditions and mud is usually rare.

Protection TK 2.4
    I did try a non-UST TK 2.4 with black chili, but I got a sidewall tear on the second ride with said tire. So I decided to stick with the UST versions and all 5 of those have been tear-free. Probably just bad luck on the non-UST TK. If I find a good deal on the non-UST Protection version, maybe I'll give them another shot.

Hans Dampf
    These have me most intrigued. A 2.35 SnakeSkin TLR in both compounds weighs 765g! That will save me 690g (1.5lb) of total rotating weight! I've been using this website (Reifenbreiten-Datenbank) and it seems like the HD 2.35 is only slightly smaller than the TK 2.4. My only concern is durability. I can deal with fast wearing tires, but thin sidewalls may be a problem.

Mountain Kings II
    I've never tried the MKIIs, but from what I've gathered, they might not be a good fit for aggressive riding? They certainly are light though! Seems like they're on the smallish side too? They might be worth a gamble.

Butcher
    The smaller volume of the Butchers kind of puts me off a bit. I think I can feel the benefit of the fatter TK 2.4s, but maybe the difference isn't the big of a deal. I'll do some more research.

Chunky Monkeys
    This is the first I've heard of these, but after some quick searching they seem to get good reviews. Cheap too! Interested.

Ardents
    Also seem to get good reviews. I'll do some more looking around.

Trojan Extra Thin
    Sorry, but I'm more of a Durex guy.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I guess I've made up my mind that, while the UST TK 2.4 is great tire, the weight just isn't worth it. So I'll be trying something lighter in the near future. Besides, it's always fun to experiment with something new!

insert sarcasm here
    +1 on Max is Exo tires. I'm running a 2.5 Minion Exo front, Ardent Exo 2.25 rear. IMHO, I think the 2.5 Minion is one of the best front tires out there for aggressive riding. Large volume, big aggressive knobs, and only weighs 910 grams or so.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Mountain Kings in 2.4 is the same as a 2.2 Trail King.

They aren't the best for aggressive riding however. I love my 2.2 Trail Kings, but I have them in UST, which is heavy, but super durable.

I think I will end up going to Nobby Nics, or Hans Dampf

mtbr member
    Geax Sturdy

mtbr member
    FWIW I had a Schwalbe Fat albert 2.4 and a TK 2.4 and the TK was huge compared to the Fat Albert. Just standing back and looking at the bike you could see the height difference between the 2.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Hans dampf 2.35 is bigger than the Albert 2.4. PS I ride very rocky trails and knock on wood never ripped a sidewall. If you want a lightish, aggressive, wide tire that's good in rocks I think it's hard to beat. If you'd rather the devil you know get protection trail kings - they'll still save weight over the ust's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Japanese polypropylene are awesome if you have to bag it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Light Rubbers

Quote Originally Posted by cacka_lacka View Post
    Thanks for all the input people!
    Chunky Monkeys
    This is the first I've heard of these, but after some quick searching they seem to get good reviews. Cheap too! Interested.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I guess I've made up my mind that, while the UST TK 2.4 is great tire, the weight just isn't worth it. So I'll be trying something lighter in the near future. Besides, it's always fun to experiment with something new!
    Grab a set of ChMonks. They do exactly what I wanted as a trail tire, and have exceeded it.
    They use the same casing reinforcement as the Maxxis EXO, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Specialized tires have worked great for me, set up super nice tubeless. The Purgatory 2.3 control model weighs 685 grams, and they are usually right on with their weights. The Butcher comes in at 730 grams. Both seem like a great all mountain type of tire and the weight savings should transfer to a huge improvement in climbing and acceleration. And...best of all.. the standard Control models are TL ready and around 50$, which these days is pretty reasonable for a great tire.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    As much as I love them for what I do, If sidewalls are a particular concern for you, I would stay away from the Specialized "control" models (Butcher, Purgatory, etc). They have pretty thin sidewalls. The non-UST trail king I owned had significantly thicker sidewalls.

Unfortunately, sturdy sidewalls add weight. As does volume. As do meaty treads. It is all a matter or what you value most. With the Trail king, you get meaty treads, high volume, and reasonably sturdy sidewalls.... but they are not light. Butchers have meaty tread, mediocre volume, OK weight.... but pretty thin sidewalls.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Unfortunately, sturdy sidewalls add weight. As does volume. As do meaty treads. It is all a matter or what you value most. With the Trail king, you get meaty treads, high volume, and reasonably sturdy sidewalls.... but they are not light. Butchers have meaty tread, mediocre volume, OK weight.... but pretty thin sidewalls.
    It's always the compromise, and it'll vary where you ride. I have trouble moving off anything that isn't proper UST in its sidewall thickness, simply because the rocks out here, not even EXO or ProTection or Snakeskin is enough to save you from it, they're at that point where nothing is a good enough substitute for that THICK rubber protecting the walls.

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/3875/i...0929084028.jpg

You'll know best the terrain you ride on and what's appropriate for your needs, but keep in mind that a heavy tyre that doesn't fail is faster than a light tyre that does. Might not be as aggressive as you'd like, but 2.4 Ardent's are a seriously great tread, although of the "All Mountain" style's, they're probably the one most leaning towards the XC side of the spectrum, also been unable to find their 2.4's in a LUST setup, although I believe and EXO set exists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Butchers have meaty tread, mediocre volume, OK weight.... but pretty thin sidewalls.
    they make you feel really great until you crash and burn. weight, grip and price are addicting, and so far i've been pretty lucky and have only popped 1 tire out of 6 and they've ridden everything from downieville and tahoe to SLO, santa barbara, santa monica, san gabriels & OC to South Mountain and Moab, and i would say that i ride pretty hard. there's a couple Flow ex's that are square, dented and cracked in my garage though.

I really love the EXO minion/ardent combo, probably the best combination of pure performance to weight and durability that i've tried.
    nothing witty here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast