mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Light hardtail frame for 115mm fork

I'm thinking about donating my current set of components from my hardtail to a build for my brother who just had his bike stolen. I have a 2005 rock shox Reba team, 26" tubeless wheels, and some aging drivetrain components that now that I think about, shoul probably stay in my possession. Anyways, if I could find a decent frame that can climb well with the fork's travel maxed out (115mm), that would be pretty clutch, and that's what I need help with. I want mechanical disc brake and threadless headset compatibility. Budget wise... Probably around $300 and I'm not adverse to buying used.

Thanks for your suggestions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I will probably just have to look at what bikes came with that fork or one like it but I was hoping I'd get some suggestions on some bikes or frames people have bought in the past that they thought climbed and otherwise felt really good.. Somewhere to start.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil View Post
    I will probably just have to look at what bikes came with that fork or one like it but I was hoping I'd get some suggestions on some bikes or frames people have bought in the past that they thought climbed and otherwise felt really good.. Somewhere to start.
    On-One 456 Carbon.
    Rides well.
    1500g
    Tough
    Can use a 100-150mm fork
    Not expensive.
    Http://on-one.co.uk
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

usually cranky
    +2. really any on one. cheap and people like them. and really, i dont think you could find a ht that climbed poorly with a 115 fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That frame is $475. On the expensive side but I'm sure it would climb nice since I'd be sticking a fork well within it's range. Does it have any weird rear or front derailleur requirements? How about it's compatibility with bottom brackets or headsets? Standard issue?

I dissagree with the one comment made that any hardtail would climb well with my fork. I have a schwinn homegrown with that fork and climbs horribly with the fork maxed out. It throws the geometry way off. It's happy with 80mm of travel and not much more.

usually cranky
    obviously if you try and use components on a bike thats not meant for them it will mess up the ride characteristics. any hardtail designed with a 115 fork in mind will climb well. specific enough for you?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil View Post
    That frame is $475. On the expensive side but I'm sure it would climb nice since I'd be sticking a fork well within it's range. Does it have any weird rear or front derailleur requirements? How about it's compatibility with bottom brackets or headsets? Standard issue?

I dissagree with the one comment made that any hardtail would climb well with my fork. I have a schwinn homegrown with that fork and climbs horribly with the fork maxed out. It throws the geometry way off. It's happy with 80mm of travel and not much more.
    The 456 Carbon is all standard kit except for the headset. Use our Smoothie mixer for a 1-18' steerer fork and you are set.

As b-kul said, any of our frames would work, steel or aluminium. I mentioned the 456C because you posted to the all mountain board.

Any current XC hardtail frame will work well with a 115mm fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common