Thread: Light AM bike

mtbr member
    May 2006

Light AM bike

Hello. I'm in market for a new AM bike, I'm 5'5" and really lightweight (130) so I'm looking for a light bike, probably a tough 4" XC would also work for me. my budget is around $1600. any suggestions???

Bernardo

Keep on Rockin...

Prophet....

A lot of bike for it's weight.

mtbr member
    Marin are always well priced,
    have alook for a deal on a Marin rocksprings, you can usually pickup a bargin,
    4" to 6" travel great spec and light weight.

bump and grind
    Heckler with lighter wheels and a light trail fork. yum

Riding a Rig.
    First thing that came to my mind when you said tough 4" trail bike is the Ibex Asta. Its definatly no lightweight and from the pictures I've seen its built up in all the right places to take some abuse. The price is great too.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-Details.html
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

Frame Only:
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-FRM-Details.html

I belive DogonFR just built one up a month or so ago, talk to him to see how it is doing for AM riding.

A Marin is also a solid choice. I recently built up a Quad Tara and have been pretty impressed with it so far.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Light, strong and cheap.. pick any two (haven't we all heard this?). For $1600 your not going to get a very light bike that can stand up to real trail riding/All mountain riding/ Aggresive XC/ ye olde freeriding/etc..

I'm about your weight, and although I can't get away with some lighter parts, I still feel a light weight rider can break the same parts as a heavier rider (may just take something bigger or a little longer).

Start with a frame that is light for it's strength and get yuorslef a cheap/mid level build kit. Spend more on fork and frame and then as you get money upgrade to lighter parts.

Other option would be to get a cheap XC racing dually and to slowly make it more suited to trail riding..

Either way.. it will be difficult to get a bike for $1600 below 28lbs without giving up All mountain performance..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    what do you think about cannondale rush 400, specialized stumpjumper fsr and garyfisher cake3 dlx???

bernardo

Yasco
    May 2006
    Santa Cruz Superlight complete bike with D XC package is $1380 - check their web site and the list of dealers

mtbr member
    The Superlight is definatly the bike to look at.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardo
    what do you think about cannondale rush 400, specialized stumpjumper fsr and garyfisher cake3 dlx???

bernardo
    I've seen the Rush and looks good, but haven't ridden it. The Stumpjumper is a great bike! It has a pretty good handling and lightweight. I just think it's above your budget (msrp is about 2,000), but probably searching here and there you could find a bargain. I don't really know anything about the Cake other than it has a special geometry called Genesis. It might come to fit.

Another options are Giant Trance, Ironhorse Azure or MKVIII, Ibex, Marin.

ballbuster

Dang. I wish people would stop repeating that...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Light, strong and cheap.. pick any two (haven't we all heard this?).
    ... piece of crap advice. There is plenty of light cheap and strong parts out there. You just have to look and use your brain.

I'd say if you're 130#, the, the Specialized FSR 5" bike will work great for you, and breaking stuff won't be an issue.

I've been on a 3.5" stumpy fsr-xc for the last couple years and I've had no issues wtih it, and I rail it down rock gardens, get air and all sorts of stuff... did I mention that I'm over 200#? My bike is built to about 27.5 lbs with chubby tires ATM, but it's closer to 26.5 with race tires.

mtbr member
    a used 05 stumpjumper might be your best bet, then upgrade over time.

or as someone metioned, a heckler with an air shock and a 4ish pound fork is a solid option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=pimpbot]... piece of crap advice. There is plenty of light cheap and strong parts out there. You just have to look and use your brain.
    QUOTE]

Only gets repeated because it's "generally" true. There are not so many parts that truly achieve all 3 criteria. I'm sure there are some exceptions, care to name some examples?
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member

$1380 is a super price

I did check the Santa Cruz site because this sounded like a deal that was too good to be true. While the site is a bit confusing and gives you a price of $1876 if you check the bike builder part and put in the same items (RS Tora 302 fork and DX build kit) they definely do list a complete bike for $1380. They must be trying to get rid of the Superlight but that is one good price. I'm tempted myself. Even more tempted by the Powder Coated Heckler for under $900 for the frame and shock.

Hmmmmm.