mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Let's annihilate this horse carcass...

My Specialized Demo 9DH was stolen out of my locked garage a few days ago, so, unfortunately, it's time to rethink the bike path I was treading.

My Demo was my Swiss-army-knife bike. I pedaled that thing everywhere. Sure, at times it was slow and steady and at times, on the uphills, the Fox 40 turned my bicycle into a unicycle, but I had the will and mettle to try...and succeed.

I race from time to time, but only DH, SuperD, and sometimes dual slalom. For DH, it was adequate, though being a 2005 technological wonder, it was bulky and sometimes sluggish. For SuperD, I was lagging on the ups to be competitive. On dual, it was too long to make those rapid turns rapidly. Majority of the time though, i rode for fun and never shuttled...and had too much pride to hike-a-bike.

I upgraded to it from a Heckler and tried an Intense SS, but just couldn't replace it. Now, I'm looking for a 160-180mm travel rig to do it all. I don't need a dual crown since most 180mm singles can be just as competitive on the down, but shaving off 10-20lbs would be nice.

1. Intense Uzzi - the bike I dreamt about for the past two years, but I've heard nightmare stories about the noodle feel of the rear, something I can vouch for from my time with a 2009 SS, plus VPP required a lot of sag.

2. Giant Reign X - I've heard Maestro is very well behaved, but not having the option to put a coil in the rear makes me hesitant.

3. Specialized Enduro

4. Intense 951 - it's an oversized Uzzi that can still accept a front derailleur. I'm no stranger to pedaling big bikes.

5. Used Giant Faith with Maestro or Glory.

Any thoughts?

PS, I don't know why the pic is upside down, not symbolic of anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's annihilate this horse carcass...-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reno83 View Post
    My Specialized Demo 9DH was stolen out of my locked garage a few days ago, so, unfortunately, it's time to rethink the bike path I was treading.

My Demo was my Swiss-army-knife bike. I pedaled that thing everywhere. Sure, at times it was slow and steady and at times, on the uphills, the Fox 40 turned my bicycle into a unicycle, but I had the will and mettle to try...and succeed.

I race from time to time, but only DH, SuperD, and sometimes dual slalom. For DH, it was adequate, though being a 2005 technological wonder, it was bulky and sometimes sluggish. For SuperD, I was lagging on the ups to be competitive. On dual, it was too long to make those rapid turns rapidly. Majority of the time though, i rode for fun and never shuttled...and had too much pride to hike-a-bike.

I upgraded to it from a Heckler and tried an Intense SS, but just couldn't replace it. Now, I'm looking for a 160-180mm travel rig to do it all. I don't need a dual crown since most 180mm singles can be just as competitive on the down, but shaving off 10-20lbs would be nice.

1. Intense Uzzi - the bike I dreamt about for the past two years, but I've heard nightmare stories about the noodle feel of the rear, something I can vouch for from my time with a 2009 SS, plus VPP required a lot of sag.

2. Giant Reign X - I've heard Maestro is very well behaved, but not having the option to put a coil in the rear makes me hesitant.

3. Specialized Enduro

4. Intense 951 - it's an oversized Uzzi that can still accept a front derailleur. I'm no stranger to pedaling big bikes.

5. Used Giant Faith with Maestro or Glory.

Any thoughts?

Holy crap what tires do you have on that thing to make it stick to the ceiling like that?

The versatility of the Specialized Enduro on your list would make it a front runner. Others that are not on the list that I would add looking into - the Knolly Chilcotin, and the Evil uprising seems to be getting lots of attention if you want carbone

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Enduro with the Olin rear Shock FTW !

mtbr member
    Canfield The One. I've heard great things about it. I would buy one if I had the money. Supposed to be really good going up for a 7-8 in bike.

mtbr member
    Endruo
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Let's annihilate this horse carcass...

Enduro evo

No Clue Crew
    If was able to buy a bike right now it would be between the new Enduro EVO and a 27.5 Firebird. I've never heard anything bad about the 'Bird and my Pitch is the same platform as the Enduro so I know it climbs well. I'd just like more than 140mm/150mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That doesn't sound right... Mine is the old pierced-downtube Reign X (which came with a coil), but the newer design should be even more coil-friendly in terms of clearance and access.

mtbr member
    I'll vouch for the Chilcotin. Add the Liteville 601 onto that list as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Reign X will accept a coil, and pedals really, really well for being a mini DH rig. Probably the best peddler on your list. The X is better than the enduro on the ups and downs. I haven't tried the others. I would be getting a Reign X if they came in carbon, instead I'm getting an Uprising.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Morewood Sukuma / Jabula. Think outside the box dude

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do you have a budget or did I miss that part?

Nomad 2 with a push link and RC4, Mojo HD, FB 26 or 27.5, slayer, so many good AM bikes to choose from.

If I had to chose from your list I'd go with the Reign x or Enduro since you pedal to the top.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

If only there were programs that could rotate digital photographs...

mtbr member
    Canfield The ONE, its an amazingly pedal friendly rig, that will do AM/DH depending on fork/shock/cassette choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd go with a 2010 Knolly Delirium. You can find them for a reasonable price these days. Think 170mm in the rear, and 180mm in the front. It's the perfect all around bike.

Oh keep in mind that I believe a Giant Reign X can take a coil shock. I have a friend that has a 2012-13 (not sure which one) Reign SX and that has a coil shock on it, I wouldn't think the regular Reign X would be much different.

perpetual pucker factor
    I'm an owner of a Canfield One, and it is an insanely good bike. HIGHLY recommended. 7 or 8" of travel in the rear, and it pedals like a 6" AM bike. It won't void the warranty to put on a dual crown fork and coil shock for your DH races either, so you can swap out forks (rather than full bikes) depending on what kind of races are coming up. I have mine set up as a 180mm air-sprung aggressive AM bike, and it tips the scales at 33-34lbs. It will outclimb my old Giant Reign easily, which pedaled noticeably better than a Reign X. It has a very smooth feel while climbing, and it descends like a full-on DH bike. Feels MUCH lighter than a Demo while sprinting and when you need to change direction quickly. They are discontinuing it next spring though, and are replacing it with the newly announced Balance. So far we have been told it's a 160-170mm 650b bike bike that will take full bike park abuse. If it is worthy enough to replace the One, it will be an amazing bike.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Ow!
    I have a Nomadc that seems very versatile using both a 180mm (Marz 66) and 160mm (Marz55) fork on it. Worked very well for me doing DH this summer (well, light DH--not because of the bike, but because of the rider). This winter it has the 55 on it, and it rides very well on my local trails (I can see why some call it a do-it-all bike). It doesn't do XC great, and likely doesn't do DH great, but seems like it does everything well. I have no concerns about it if I start getting more air at the park. I use both a Fox DHX coil (DH riding) and a Manitou Evolver (all else).