Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let you tell me about upgrading my Fox Vanilla DHX 3.0 coil shock to an air shock

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  suspman 
#1 ·
I'm trying to switch out the Fox Vanilla DHX 3.0 coil shock on my brother's Kona Stinky to something lighter since I've been replacing stuff on it make it more All-Mountain/Trail friendly, and most importantly getting it to a respectable weight, the shock is the only thing left stock on that bike.

I found a Float RL air shock off a Santa Cruz Butcher that matches up in size 8.5x2.5 and it's a high volume can, low compression, low rebound tune.

I contacted Kona and they said I'd be best with a high volume can since it ramps up less abruptly, and should go with a low compression, medium rebound tune.

Being a hardtail rider all my life, I'm clueless when it comes to this shock stuff.

How different would the bike ride with the low rebound vs. the medium rebound they recommended?

#2 ·
I was told it would be a non issue with my weight-over 200 to have the opposite mismatch on rebound. But I found on a similar linkage 5. Spot that it just made me use less clicks to achieve the Rebound speed I wanted. So for your case, you'll dial in more clicks. Its an RL which is rebound Lockout only so you can't super fine tune the compression anyway so it should be fine until you get more involved with the setup and get a higher end shock. No disrespect its just limited, if its a deal go for it. If you can wait get one with 2 or 3 clicks of propedal and the right tune. But still it should be fine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.