Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Large, Lightish Platform/Flat Pedal XC/Trail Riding

I'm going to be trying out flat pedals, already got some 5.10's. I have size 13 feet so I'm looking for a pedal that's got a large platform. I'd like something thin too. I'm not going to be riding any crazy downhill/freeride stuff, I ride xc/trail but I do want something durable. I would like to be under 400g, a little over would be ok, no titanium. Right now I'm looking at some Diety SkyScrapers, Canfield Ultimates, Spank Spikes or perhaps Blackspire Sub4. So whats a good, large, lightish pedal for xc/trail riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Scrap all the others on the list..DMR Vault is the only choice
    Nice large platform, very light(for the size) and thin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalray View Post
    Green is a bonus, going on a Cannondale Trigger29er1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

pedal bender

Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    I'm going to be trying out flat pedals, already got some 5.10's. I have size 13 feet so I'm looking for a pedal that's got a large platform. I'd like something thin too. I'm not going to be riding any crazy downhill/freeride stuff, I ride xc/trail but I do want something durable. I would like to be under 400g, a little over would be ok, no titanium. Right now I'm looking at some Diety SkyScrapers, Canfield Ultimates, Spank Spikes or perhaps Blackspire Sub4. So whats a good, large, lightish pedal for xc/trail riding?
    Im 6"2 210

For some weird reason im blowing through pedal axles. I bent one after the next.

Im not crashing or hitting anything.

I bent wellgo b117 , deity decoys.

So i ended up with wellgo 117 and ti spindals. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have 2 sets of Spanks. Red for the Jamis XAM 2 and titanium color for the Goblin XO.

Coming from clipless I cannot say enough good things about Spank.

These pedals coupled with my 5 10 shoes is just an amazing experience.

As far as durability i am a big guy and have on a few occasions slammed into rocks. The pedals are built like a tank.

Need I say more?

Best price i have found is Jenson.

Oh yes, be careful. Never having gone platform before I have several nice cuts on my legs from the pins .

Thats the price you pay for secure grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalray View Post
    Green is a bonus, going on a Cannondale Trigger29er1
    The Apple Green Vaults are sick. I have them in regular silver and the platform is massive. Can't wait for the first ride this season and hopefully they blow my last year's Point1 Podiums out of the water.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Canfield Ultimates (green ) work for me. I use them with size 13 5.10 Freeriders and they are just wide enough. With wider Impacts you might want something even wider. I have replaced Canfield supplied pins with much shorter ones. For pedally bikes it all works very well in minimizing pedal strikes - for downhill bike I might try those DMR Vaults...

mtbr member
    Is the only way to get Canfields straight from them? I'd like more of lime green than apple green. The Spanks are still really appealing to me.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Canfield pedals. Super thin so you don't snag rocks easily, but feel super burly underfoot. I wear a 12 and it feels like I've got tons of real estate to stand on. They also have very low maintenance du bushings. Some might say that bearings are better, but where do most pedals fail? The bearings. The du bushings are super smooth rotating (feels like needle bearings) and will last for a long long time.

One last benefit deals again with the thin pedal design. You are basically standing at the pivot axis of the pedal, and that makes the pedaling feel, at least to me, very easy on my knees. Natural and easy to pedal. Excellent design from an excellent company

And they come with an extra set of pins and free loctite.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm running in to this too. I've been on my VP Vices for about six months now. They are great pedals and a great price, but I'm finding myself wanting more room for my size 12 Freeriders. I'm getting some pain in my right foot and hoping a bigger pedal might fix it.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Is the only way to get Canfields straight from them? I'd like more of lime green than apple green. The Spanks are still really appealing to me.
    I bought my Canfields direct. No reason not to. If you want ask your favorite local shop to order them for you. I have the previous generation pedals but they are very nice. Been using them for over a year now and I have been very happy. Can't talk about how well size 13's fit as I ride 12's but I can say that my pedals have been very durable and are still spinning smoothly after many snags and strikes. They are pedals so don't expect the finish to stay pretty for very long. My white ones are starting to look silver in many spots
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra View Post
    I bought my Canfields direct. No reason not to. If you want ask your favorite local shop to order them for you. I have the previous generation pedals but they are very nice. Been using them for over a year now and I have been very happy. Can't talk about how well size 13's fit as I ride 12's but I can say that my pedals have been very durable and are still spinning smoothly after many snags and strikes. They are pedals so don't expect the finish to stay pretty for very long. My white ones are starting to look silver in many spots
    I would have no problem ordering from Canfield, just saw on their website black was out of stock, the green is too dark. I'm interested in the Deity Skyscrapers. Anybody have experience with the Deity pedals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I fondled a pair of deity skyscrapers at the lbs and they look very nice. I've been on Deity decoys for probably a 1.5 years and I'm still on the same set. I do a lot of medium drops, rock garden riding, and riding in PNW mud/rain. So far no problems to speak of. One thing I will note is that the skyscraper pedal appears to use smaller diameter pins that are a little longer than the decoy. I'm sure Deity did their homework and they're still just as durable, but the pins in the decoys have been strong for me.

mtbr member
    Do the Deity pedals have a large platform, I didn't see dimensions on their website?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think the skyscraper looked slightly bigger than the decoy but I didn't do a side by side. The decoy is large enough for my size 10.5 impacts, but it's not a massive platform compared to some offerings.

mtbr member
    I was able to compare a Deity Decoy and the Crampon Ultimate today. The platform size is very similar so I would assume the Skyscraper is close too. I did like the thinness of the Canfield though. Wish I knew somewhere local to checkout the Spank Spikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was able to compare a Deity Decoy and the Crampon Ultimate today. The platform size is very similar so I would assume the Skyscraper is close too. I did like the thinness of the Canfield though. Wish I knew somewhere local to checkout the Spank Spikes.
    in Fl. by any chance ?

mtbr member
    Nope, in VT

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well that won't work.

Nice up there. Spent alot of time at Killington and Stowe. All in the winter. Must be great biking this time of year.

I'd venture to say your downhill is a bit more extreme than mine .

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm running in to this too. I've been on my VP Vices for about six months now. They are great pedals and a great price, but I'm finding myself wanting more room for my size 12 Freeriders. I'm getting some pain in my right foot and hoping a bigger pedal might fix it.
    I have tried a few clipless combos but all the shoes make my toes hurt for days. I need a size D wide shoe and by then clipless seem combersome.

Flat pedals seemed like the logical solution for me. My neighbor picked up some answer rove pedals and they seem realy sturdy but they are super heavy with the steele axles.

Question, why are manufactures using du bushings with sealed cart bearings, why not just use sealed ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im in palm beach gardens

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Shimano Saints
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Fxyation Mesa MP. Nylon body deflects instead of breaking. 390g. Work really good with my 5.10 freerides. Plus they are cheap so you wont feel bad if you break them.

Mesa MP Pedal - Online bike shop for commuter, fixed gear, single speed and urban cyclists

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    kcnc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Really? Vices are supposed to be 105x105 and one of the larger platforms. I think only the DMR Vault and Twenty6 Predator are larger.

I'll find out tonight, Vice pedals should be in the mail to go on my new bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast