mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Lapierre Spicy 516 vs. Cube Fritzz The One

Both of them are model year 2009 and I have difficulties to pick one up. The main differences/"my observations" are:
    http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/...058_.htm#anker
    http://www.lapierrebikes.com/lapierr...ns/SPICY-516-1
    - price difference: Lapierre is around 800 euro more expencive than Fritzz (for the price Fritzz wins)
    - equipement is more or less the same with some smaller differences in pro for Fritzz (better brakes on Fritzz, better overall equipement including also rear suspension is RP23 on Fritzz, on Spicy only RP2)
    - weight is more or less the same; -300g on Spicy officialy but once I will put the same tires on Fritzz, I don't think there will be 100g difference
    - geometry is more or less the same
    - looks: both looks very nice to me

I will definitly try both of them, but if you have some concrete argument pro or cons, please tell them to me
    Last edited by shark36; 11-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have test ridden the Spicy, but it was only the 316: I really liked it, but just didn't feel right for me. I ended buying a Banshee (a.k.a. Mythic) Rune which I love.

If was going to buy one the 516 is the one I would go for, although it does come with an air fork and I just prefer the simplicity and feel of a coil.

I can't comment on the Cube ride-wise, but did have a nice chat to one of their guys on the stand at the london Bike Show, about the Cube Fritz, and I thought it looked amazing value for money.

Better brakes and rear shock is certainly nothing to be sniffed at so I would suggest that if you like it, get that one, as it may save you money in the future.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

Huh?
    I wouldn't get the Lapierre. It just uses a 4 bar linkage... not too good nowadays, but not bad by any standards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i have spicy 316 and i love it, you dont need RP23 on spicy ,bike is rock solid when you pedal,dont need lever fork,climb like mountain goat i was looking at the same models 516 and the one (after a talk to owner of spicy and some tests i ended with 316 and save a lot of money. try it and then go for it ,you wont regredit.
    talas+spicy=pr0n

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ive test riden a fritzz , its a very very good bike , climbs really well and is reallt stable on the downs too , great spec for the money too

lidless ascender
    I'd pick Fritzz for the price difference alone.Spend the remaining 800 euro on a biking holiday
    I haven't ridden the Spicy, but have heard mainly good things about them.I have ridden this year's Fritzz quite a lot though.As b45her mentioned, it is a impressive climber and very capable on the downhills, too.The only complaint I have is that it wasn't perfect on very steep sections with lots of big rocks/steps.The high bottom bracket puts a bit more of your weight to the front and combined with a longish stem (90mm on the medium) can make it a little less confidence inspiring in slow speed techy situations.The good news is Cube had lowered the BB by 17mm on the '09 model (and slackened the HA to 67) so this should be a non-issue on next years' models.And it's a good idea to change the stem to 60-70mm anyway.
    One more thing, Nobby Nics are not suitable tires for such a capable bike (Fat Alberts on the '09 are better, but still not perfect).They are just too lightweight, crappy climbers in the wet and tend to wander on gravel/loose rocks.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography