Thread: Lapierre bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Lapierre bikes?

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on some Lapierre models....unfortunately I know nothing about them.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinion of their stuff from current or very recent model years? How about specific models? Mostly a hobbyist rider, nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Bueller?

mtbr member
    I bought a 2014 LaPierre Spicy 327, when I was living in South East Asia.
    The local dealer was blowing out leftover models at more than 50% off MSRP.
    I didn't want to spend a lot of money at that time, because it was going to be a "temporary" bike that I would either sell, or left overseas when I returned to the US.

It turned out to be a very capable bike that handled well, and was good in both climbing and descending. The trails where I was riding in were mostly enduro type technical trails.
    There was a lot of rain, and you often rode in muddy and wet conditions. They bike held up incredibly well.

The Fox suspension was great, and the geometry was actually very current (considering it was a 2014 model). The only 2 things I didn't like were the Avid Elixir brakes (swapped to Shimano XT) and the lack of a dropper post (added one). It also came with a 2x10 drivetrain, and tires where not tubeless, but I am OK with the last 2 items considering the price I paid.

The LaPierre brand isn't popular in the USA, I think they left the US market a few years ago. Their recent offerings include electronic suspension, but I havent tried them personally to know whether they are a marketing gimmick or if they actually work.

Let us know what model(s) you are considering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyRocks View Post
    I have an opportunity to get a good deal on some Lapierre models....unfortunately I know nothing about them.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinion of their stuff from current or very recent model years? How about specific models? Mostly a hobbyist rider, nothing crazy.
    Their ei shock is absolute horror according to I rode Lapierre e:i shock all summer, verdict: HORROR

mtbr member
    I rode one in Wales a few year back (could actually be like 8!) and it was a great. A firmer feeling bike but one that could climb well and descend like a beat. They were all fox forks and shocks back then so I don't know what they are like now but in reality, shocks are cheap to replace.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I rode one in Wales a few year back (could actually be like 8!) and it was a great. A firmer feeling bike but one that could climb well and descend like a beat. They were all fox forks and shocks back then so I don't know what they are like now but in reality, shocks are cheap to replace.
    I don't think this is true at all.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If it has the electronic rear shock I would avoid it unless extra-extra-stupid-cheap. My friend has one, he says he likes it pretty well, but had to replace the rear shock setup, I'm not sure he's got it completely dialed in yet, I suspect that the rear suspension design may need the electronics to function properly. If it's cheap enough, it could be a great donor for a chinese fs or ht build.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was debating getting a Spicy but from what I gather they pulled out of US. I emailed their US email as well as messaged them on fb without response. I scrapped the idea as I figured it'd be hard getting service. I could be wrong but that was my experience from November.