Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. l5 s1 disc surgery...how long off bike?

1 week post micro discectomy. Was told I would likely be back on the mtb in october.
    Was wondering if anyone had this surgery...and what the recovery time was.

I know I can hit the road earlier.....so any feedback is cool.

Note...I'm following dr orders and will not be doing anything stupid to jeopordize recovery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: l5 s1 disc surgery...how long off bike?

Had the same exact surgery two years ago. Was back on the road in three months and back on the dirt in six. Rest and recover now or you'll pay for it the rest of your life. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input...
    can I ask whether you did any pt? If so what did it consist of and when did it start?

10 days out now and am walking 2 miles around the neighborhood.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    had the exact surgery you did a year ago. Was back on the bike in about a month and a half.. but then waited another 3 months before getting back on.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    Note...I'm following dr orders and will not be doing anything stupid to jeopordize recovery.
    This is a VERY GOOD attitude. Stick with it and discuss in detail with the surgeon on your follow-ups! I would definitely take advantage of PT when you're able.

I'm 4 months out of C5-C6-C7 discectomy, fusion, and Phygen Titanium plate as seen in my avatar. ANYTIME they take knife to bone, you better expect a long recovery to be safe. I started riding at about 2.5 months out on the road but am now on the single track. Was on a hardtail but my surgeon said get on a squishy bike. Problem was he would not write me a Rx for a new Enduro Comp. Fail.

I'd guess your lower back issue could be more dicey for riding anything too soon so play it safe. If I can ask, what lead to your needing surgery? I've had 2 surgeon's opinions, my phenomenal Neurosurgeon included, that said NO to surgery for my bulging and incredibly painful 24/7 with little to no relief of my L4-L5 issue. No one around here wants to work on this kind of problem.

likes bicycles
    I had the same surgery, but on the L4-L5. I followed all of the docs' orders, and was back on the bike/running within about 4-5 months. My surgeon seemed to be more of the opinion that once the tissues which were disrupted from the surgery healed, I should be fine to start pushing the limit.

I woke up with a lot of leg pain still, which I guess is not the norm. Did you wake up pain free? I still get some leg pain, but a little naproxen seems to take care of it. Just can't spend all day sitting, which is fine with me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    This is a VERY GOOD attitude. Stick with it and discuss in detail with the surgeon on your follow-ups! I would definitely take advantage of PT when you're able.

I'm 4 months out of C5-C6-C7 discectomy, fusion, and Phygen Titanium plate as seen in my avatar. ANYTIME they take knife to bone, you better expect a long recovery to be safe. I started riding at about 2.5 months out on the road but am now on the single track. Was on a hardtail but my surgeon said get on a squishy bike. Problem was he would not write me a Rx for a new Enduro Comp. Fail.

I'd guess your lower back issue could be more dicey for riding anything too soon so play it safe. If I can ask, what lead to your needing surgery? I've had 2 surgeon's opinions, my phenomenal Neurosurgeon included, that said NO to surgery for my bulging and incredibly painful 24/7 with little to no relief of my L4-L5 issue. No one around here wants to work on this kind of problem.

what led to surgery....was that the low back pain migrated to my left gluteal mussle WAY deep down in the tissue. PT made required by the insurance company made the problem worse! the glute pain was so bad I could not sit down at all. I work in a corp setting and sit at a computer all day. the pain was unbearable. Tried to drive to work and had to pull off the road to jump to my feet. Oral steroids, Celebrex, Norco...no relief.
    Herniation of L5 S1 was really bad according to ortho and nuero surgeon. Both agreed surgery was only option for relief...i was terrified of surgery since I only had stitches in the past.
    I'm very thankful my nuero surgeon fit me in to his schedule.

mtbr member

waking up

Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    I had the same surgery, but on the L4-L5. I followed all of the docs' orders, and was back on the bike/running within about 4-5 months. My surgeon seemed to be more of the opinion that once the tissues which were disrupted from the surgery healed, I should be fine to start pushing the limit.

I woke up with a lot of leg pain still, which I guess is not the norm. Did you wake up pain free? I still get some leg pain, but a little naproxen seems to take care of it. Just can't spend all day sitting, which is fine with me.

I woke up with my glute pain gone (I am able to sit for short periods which is the best feeling in the world)!! I was EXHAUSTED for basically standing for 2 weeks.
    The numbness in my leg from the pressed nerve was gone with the exception of my 2 toes and the bottom of my left foot. this numbness is still there 11 days post op.
    I was told days, weeks, months...maybe permanent. I'm hoping it heals.

In terms of TRUE pain, all I really have is where the incision was when I sit on a high back chair or lay on my back. I was off narcotics completely 3 days post op when I got out of the hospital...only tylenol now maybe once a day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the input...
    can I ask whether you did any pt? If so what did it consist of and when did it start?

10 days out now and am walking 2 miles around the neighborhood.

Thanks again.
    Yes, I did PT but I did it on my own. I've been in and out of PT for my back for 10 years, so I pretty much knew what to do. My doctor's office gave me specific low-stress exercises and stretches.

First week post-op was spent lying down most of the day. Very limited activity allowed, since my muscles that were torn apart had to heal properly. No bending, twisting, lifting, etc. I was only allowed to go up and down the stairs twice a day.

After a week, I started the exercises. I was out of work for 6 weeks in total.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My l5/s1 exploded and pieces of the disc were lodged into my sciatic. I had to wait two months before i could get surgery. First month I had to drive to work, second month I told them I had to work from home or quit. I was having to pop 4-5 norcos a night to pass out for about an hour, then wake up to my leg on fire from the sciatic pain. Pop another norco, go to sleep for another 30 minutes... wake up to hell again. There was 1 single position that I could lay in on my couch that was bearable thank god. Ice packs and that couch were my best friends. Got the surgery, woke up pain free and wanted to jump out of bed and run a marathon. Waking up from that surgery pain free was probably the best feeling in the world.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    My l5/s1 exploded and pieces of the disc were lodged into my sciatic. I had to wait two months before i could get surgery. First month I had to drive to work, second month I told them I had to work from home or quit. I was having to pop 4-5 norcos a night to pass out for about an hour, then wake up to my leg on fire from the sciatic pain. Pop another norco, go to sleep for another 30 minutes... wake up to hell again. There was 1 single position that I could lay in on my couch that was bearable thank god. Ice packs and that couch were my best friends. Got the surgery, woke up pain free and wanted to jump out of bed and run a marathon. Waking up from that surgery pain free was probably the best feeling in the world.
    wow...sounds 10x worse than mine.
    so glad you finally had the surgery and feel better.
    it's an impossible pain to explain to others unless they have been thru it.

i just hit 2 weeks post op today. i'm still walking every day, maybe get on the single speed for a road ride in another 2 weeks or so (depending how I feel). i'll call the doc again before i try it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you guys sorta give me hope... I've been dealing with 24/7/365 sciatic pain due to L4-L5-S1 herniation's and supposed disc degeneration disease for 3 years. No one wants to operate so i've worked out a stretching regimine that keeps the pain level down to 3-5 for the most part. Can't get the sciatic pain/numbness/tingling to go away. I waffle back and forth daily it seems on trying to find a surgeon that will do it.

What to do... what to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    you guys sorta give me hope... I've been dealing with 24/7/365 sciatic pain due to L4-L5-S1 herniation's and supposed disc degeneration disease for 3 years. No one wants to operate so i've worked out a stretching regimine that keeps the pain level down to 3-5 for the most part. Can't get the sciatic pain/numbness/tingling to go away. I waffle back and forth daily it seems on trying to find a surgeon that will do it.

What to do... what to do.
    3 years is a long time to suffer. Does the mri warrant surgery?
    I was told that the longer the nerves are pressed the higher the chances of perm numbness.
    I would keep seeking out opinions from both ortho surgeons and nuero surgeons.
    Good luck...i hope you find a solution.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    3 years is a long time to suffer. Does the mri warrant surgery?
    I was told that the longer the nerves are pressed the higher the chances of perm numbness.
    I would keep seeking out opinions from both ortho surgeons and nuero surgeons.
    Good luck...i hope you find a solution.
    From what I am told because of my disc degeneration disease a distectomy isn't the full answer because of the degeneration of the fluid in my discs. The thought is that a disctectomy and fusion would be required all in one shot... and then I'm told there is no guarantee that the vertebrae above and below won't just do the same thing over time.

L4-L5 = 6mm Herniation
    L5-S1 = 7MM

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=minimusprime;10493304]From what I am told because of my disc degeneration disease a distectomy isn't the full answer because of the degeneration of the fluid in my discs. The thought is that a disctectomy and fusion would be required all in one shot... and then I'm told there is no guarantee that the vertebrae above and below won't just do the same thing over time.

L4-L5 = 6mm Herniation
    L5-S1 = 7MM

[/QUOTE

Its a big decision for sure...
    But wont the surgery benefit you today?
    I just cant imagine having to live with that pain if there was an option.

mtbr member
    Update...
    18 days post op...feeling some dull achy pain that comes and goes.
    wondering if this is from walking daily...healing process....etc.

Have any of you experienced slight returning pain as you healed?

Just so paranoid that pres surgery symptoms will come back!

Steve
    Jun 2013
    Good luck with the recovery. I've had three discectomies. Two on L4/L5 and one on L5/S1. Still have numbness in toes. Last surgery was 6 years ago. Some pain comes back, but I carry extra weight, so that can be corrected. I'm looking to purchase my first bike and thought I had made up my mind on a HT, however I've heard folks recommending a FS. What experience do any of you have post surgery with either type of bike?
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    FS, definitely. In my opinion and experience with degenerative disc disease and multiple herniations in the past 10 years (C4/5/6/7, L3/4/5/S1), HT is simply not an option unless you're just riding gravel roads. More travel is better, and I'm soon making the move up to both more travel and bigger wheels (650B) to get a plusher ride for my back. I'd love a nice, lightweight HT, but it's not in my future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wont even consider a ht...just crashed on the fourth. Had some issues with back..just got over most of the pain today. Going to do some stretches and only ride super smooth trail...hope to god it doesnt come back like before.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ih ya the slight pain will be there for a long time. Im a year post op discectomy and I just had a flare up rhe past few days after a wreck
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,

mtbr member
    just an update...plus to check to see how everyone with back issues are doing. I hope everyone is feeling better.

I just looked at my MRI and felt sick to my stomach. The herniation on L5 was massive and it was clear why the docs told me I needed surgery.
    2 days away from my 5 week post op anniversary.
    Went back to work last week...lots of walking around after sitting at my desk for like 20-30 minutes at a time.
    Dull achey pain once in awhile but no meds needed at all.
    Worst thing is the numbness in my left toes (2 + bottom along the outside).

I rode my single speed out of my driveway today an turned around...wife blew a gasket.
    I'm feeling really good and am wondering if a ride around the block would benefit me...or hurt progress??

Is the 5 week mark too soon? It's an upright fully rigid single speed. Not hunched over like a road bike.
    Next dr appt is a week away. I was told therapy will be discussed.

likes bicycles
    just an update...plus to check to see how everyone with back issues are doing. I hope everyone is feeling better.

I just looked at my MRI and felt sick to my stomach. The herniation on L5 was massive and it was clear why the docs told me I needed surgery.
    2 days away from my 5 week post op anniversary.
    Went back to work last week...lots of walking around after sitting at my desk for like 20-30 minutes at a time.
    Dull achey pain once in awhile but no meds needed at all.
    Worst thing is the numbness in my left toes (2 + bottom along the outside).

I rode my single speed out of my driveway today an turned around...wife blew a gasket.
    I'm feeling really good and am wondering if a ride around the block would benefit me...or hurt progress??

Is the 5 week mark too soon? It's an upright fully rigid single speed. Not hunched over like a road bike.
    Next dr appt is a week away. I was told therapy will be discussed.
    Congrats, dude! Glad you're feeling better. If I were you, I'd wait and talk to the doctor about hopping on the bike. After all you've been through, what's one more week? I'd guess he'll tell you it would be ok to start doing some low key rides, but it'll prob mostly be up to your therapist.

Keep the healing vibes going, and you'll be riding singletrack in a few weeks.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I'd bet you're premature on riding by 3 weeks. I wouldn't consider it until discussed and cleared with your surgeon. My surgeon was very clear and concise with limitations and had me in his office every couple weeks for eval and x-rays. Perhaps my situation was different but I'd definitely not do anything till you run it by the surgeon. You could always just call and have the girls in the office get a message to him with your question. Always worked for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I made the mistake od riding four weeks after surgery. I couldnt wait. Anyways id wait if I were you.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,

Team Livemedium
    my girl has an 11mm hern at l5s1. she's going in thursday. her ct pic is gnarly. she can only lay on her belly. hopefully it turns out good.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast