www.derbyrims.com

KS LEV stuck down after 10 minutes, normal?

Less than 5 minutes lowered is no problem, it always rises freely.

But every time I leave my month old daily used 150 LEV in a lowered position for more than 5 or 10 minutes, riding or not, the seat needs to be tapped to release the sticktion for it to rise. All the way down gets very stuck needing a few taps to release.

Is this normal?

At Sea Otter, a KS staff mechanic in their booth spent nearly an an hour rebuilding it, took the post seal off, re-lubed it (Slick-Honey is recommended), and lowered psi to 170 psi, saying the lower pressure would not be as sticky as the stock 180psi delivered to the 230psi I tried with no difference except firmness when lowering it. The KS mechanic found no problem with the bushings, the seat post clamp was not over tight, cable adjusted correctly.... no difference in the sticktion, it still sticks down the same as before after 10 minutes lowered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does it have the same problem when not installed on the bike? I had some problems with sticking only to find out that I had the clamp a little too tight. A quarter turn of the clamp bolt and issue resolved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My KS i950 sometimes does the same thing

mtbr member
    My LEV did that when new. If I left it lowerer, next day I'd need to tap it to release. Was just matter of use to brake in what was needed. A couple of months probably, honestly I don't remember exactly when that stopped happening.

One difference is that in my case, while riding it worked fine and it was stuck just overnight.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mast3rof0 View Post
    Does it have the same problem when not installed on the bike? I had some problems with sticking only to find out that I had the clamp a little too tight. A quarter turn of the clamp bolt and issue resolved.
    No difference, when clamp is completely loose. I have it torqued to spec, the KS mechanic checked that too.

www.derbyrims.com
    Finally my LEV has broken in sufficiently now after 3 months and won't stay stuck down now unless in a lowered position for more than an hour or more. While riding it is rare to stay in one low position so long. Only when left overnight lowered it stays stuck down, but now is easier to loosen than before. And my 150 LEV post still has no slop at all, unlike my prior AMP post which increased in slop by 3 months and more over time.

The only thing I'd want more, besides much lighter weight, is some kind of click indicator every 1.5 inches while lowering or raising. I like finding the same height mid positions for semi-lowered, where pedaling is still strong enough for short steep climbs, which can be difficult to find especially when lowering while on rough trail and the bike is bucking like a rodeo bronco.

mtbr member
    All you have to do is leave one inch exposed. When you leave it like that, a small tap and it comes up. Dont push it down all the way, the seals are pretty tight and it wont have anywhere to go to break them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My newly installed Lev 125 is doing the same thing. Gets stuck if left lowered for more than a few minutes; works fine if continuously raised/lowered.

I find it ridiculous that it takes 2-3 months to break these things in, considering there is no mention of this behavior in their manuals or website.

I emailed KS support, but haven't heard back yet. I hope it breaks in sooner than later and that mine isn't a defective unit.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    Mine has basically just worked from the start. When I first started using it it would sometimes stick down when I would test it before riding, I would pull it up and then it would work fine for the whole ride. Now it just works when I test it before riding. I have had down for a week at time when I had to lower it fit it in a van and then didn't raise afterward, and then when I hit the lever it just came up on it's own.

So I guess that some work better than others, and it does seem that sticking down improves with use.

mtbr member
    My wife has a KS post and it did the same thing. The LBS said to put a ziptie around the post and it will not go down all the way. So I grabbed a 1/4" ziptie/zapstrap and did so and it worked 100% Kind a bummer that she lost 1/4" of travel, but it never gets stuck down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkboy View Post
    My wife has a KS post and it did the same thing. The LBS said to put a ziptie around the post and it will not go down all the way. So I grabbed a 1/4" ziptie/zapstrap and did so and it worked 100% Kind a bummer that she lost 1/4" of travel, but it never gets stuck down.
    Mine gets stuck anywhere below the max height. Even just an inch drop and if left for about 2 mins it gets stuck and I have to pull the saddle up to return it to max extension.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As others have mentioned, it may just take a little more time to get broken in. I don't think it took more than a month for mine, but I'm sure it depends on how often you ride (I was riding about 2-3 days per week). Also, I've found that if you don't install that little red cover correctly, it can cause issues, though in my case there, it was the opposite. . .i.e. it sometimes wouldn't lower correctly. That I ultimately traced to the little nob on the end of the cable housing where it connects to the seat post wasn't seated properly in the depression on the red cover when everything was installed. That probably isn't your problem, but you may want to check it, or perhaps just remove the cover, push your seat down, wait 10 minutes and see if it comes back up normally. I think I've also heard a few people say that the pressure in the seat post wasn't to spec.
    Don't listen to me. I'm too new to have an opinion yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, thanks to Art's Cyclery's super awesome customer service, they are letting me return it as a defective unit. I've lost faith in KS. I still haven't heard back from them (not to mention it's not super clear how to get in touch with them on support issues on their website). This was actually an exchanged unit from Art's. I had originally ordered the Integra version, but discovered that it doesn't come with the ODI-compatible remote like it says it does in their installation video on YouTube. So I exchanged it for the non-Integra, and then ran into the sticking issue. The build quality seemed solid, but I don't have time to wait 2-3 months for something like this to "break in". I mean, it's not a cheap product! I expect it to work as advertised, out of the box. And if requires a break-in period, they should mention it upfront. Personally, I think mine (and any others that require this break-in period) are defective. We shouldn't have to just accept this as normal functionality unless it's marketed as such.

Anyway, Art's Cyclery FTW!

mtbr member
    Mine started sticking after a bit and what I found was that it lost some air pressure. Bumped it back up to 150 or so and it's been fine.

mtbr member
    Mine sticks both up and down. It's only a week old so I'm hoping it improves. But if I leave it overnight in any position it gets stuck and needs lots of coaxing to move. I've checked the air pressure and seat bolt torque, so that's not the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Mine sticks both up and down. It's only a week old so I'm hoping it improves. But if I leave it overnight in any position it gets stuck and needs lots of coaxing to move. I've checked the air pressure and seat bolt torque, so that's not the problem.
    If you unscrew the dust wiper collar, does it still stick down?
    On mine, after cleaning and relubing under the collar, it was back to normal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have had my lev for four months and had to send it back. The have had it for three weeks and told me it would be at least a couple more weeks until they ship it back because they are waiting for parts. I hope they can figure out the durability issues because the post works so well and I miss it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    U might have the seat collar clamp to tight only 7nm on the clamp any tighter and the dropper post wont function correctly mine did same thing when i first got it. Called KS and said to loosen seat collar clamp. Sure enough as soon as i did it works fine ever since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    If you unscrew the dust wiper collar, does it still stick down?
    On mine, after cleaning and relubing under the collar, it was back to normal.
    That worked! Unscrewed the wiper collar (which turned out to be awfully loose), glooped on some slick honey and re-tightened the collar. thanks!