mtbr member
    Sep 2005

KS Lev Sticks at Top of Travel

I have a new KS Lev 150mm 30.9.

The post works well for the most part and I like it better than any of the others I have used (Joplin, Reverb, Kronolog).

What I dont like is the post is sticky at top of travel. It returns fine but at top of travel it takes a bit of ooomph to unstick post and come down. Once it unsticks, it has good smooth motion.

Anyone have any insight into this and how I can get better performance out of it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine only seems to stick when it is hot out. I live in Phoenix so that is sort of a problem. It actually locks up solid and the release lever is frozen until I bring the bike indoors, or the shade. Everything works normal after it cools down. The only work-around I have found is to extend it all the way and then drop it down about a 1/4-inch. When I want to drop it usually will work just fine. If not I unseat slightly to extend that last 1/4-inch and then it drops perfectly. I have trained myself to always leave a little space at the top, or I can lose operation for a whole ride in hot weather. It isn't quite bad enough to make me want to return it but just short of the flawless operation I was expecting !

mtbr member
    Unscrew the top collar and slide up onto the stanchion. Clean out the old grease and or dirt. Re-grease with Slick Honey or similar light weight grease. Screw collar back down to hand tight. Cycle the post several times. See if that does the trick.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't think that will help in this case because it happened with a new post that was all slathered up with grease and also right after factory service. The issue others report where it sticks a little at the top I think the release lever still cycles OK. When this happens the release lever is rock solid and there is no way to cycle it without damaging something. It is not the lever because you can reach out and wiggle it side to side a little. It is definitely something locking up inside the post.

mtbr member
    Make sure you have the "hook' in correctly. The face plate of the hook should be on the inside with the hook going over the bar, that releases the post, facing outwards. If you have it back wards, it will stick.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes agreed the cable end is per the instructions. I think that is the part that nobody really understands because they haven't experienced it with their post. When it is indoors, or a cool day everything is smooth as glass. When it heats up it locks up so you can't release it with any amount of force. Something will break if you push hard enough to move the thumb lever. Only solution for me, don't let it extend all the way and use the extra 1/4 inch to give some working room to release it. Per the O.P mine is a LEV 150.

mtbr member
    There is good advice in this thread, but one thing I don't think was mentioned yet is that your seat collar may be too tight. Since you have the 150 mm version, I am guessing that you have the outer post inserted pretty deeply in your frame. If the post seems to hang up right where the bottom of the inner stanchion (you'll have to imagine where the bottom is) passes through the collar, then you need to relieve pinching at the collar. When the post is inserted deeply, the pinching only happens at the very top of the travel and the rest can be totally smooth.

This possibility can be demonstrated by moving your post up or down a bit in the seat tube and seeing if the 'sticky' place moves correspondingly.

FWIW I didn't just dream this up, it is exactly the issue I had w/ my 150 mm LEV Integra when I first set it up.

Not to get into a pissing contest w/ happy LEV owners, but KS says the post can take up to 6 or 7 Nm clamp force and I have found this to be bull. I use friction paste and tighten my clamp in tiny increments until the very minimum where the saddle+post stops twisting (ande this technique works for me). I have used a torque wrench and gotten pinching at as little as 3 Nm.

I would reason that the roundness of the seat tube, any debris or paint chips, the roundness of the clamp, etc., play a role in just how the force gets applied to the outer post, and that one user's 6 Nm (at the fastener) is not necessarily another user's. The take home is that the LEV is really sensitive to cable adjustment (as the other folks in the thread have said) and to the squeezing force of the collar.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Snfoilhat - All good advice and that is exactly what I have been looking for is something simple. I started low and gradually tightened my clamp until the post quit slipping during my rides. I did not measure the torque though and did not use any friction paste. I did recently buy an in-lb torque wrench so I should check it. I have heard about the pinching problem and did think about that. The part that has me stumped is that it isn't the post becoming a little sticky, it is the release lever locking up rock solid that I can't explain. I have occasionally cycled the lever and had the post stick down for a few seconds and occasionally sticks at the top, but un-weighting the seat and a quick wiggle fixes that. If you tell me your release lever didn't cycle at all (frozen in place) and all you had to do was loosen the seat clamp I will definitely give it a whirl.

mtbr member
    Sorry slowprogress. I am no LEV expert. I only chimed in on the OP's question because i had the same exact symptom and was able to fix it. No idea what is going on w/ your cable routing. Mine worked OK out of the box and has never snagged or frozen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a KS Lev 125mm dropper post and as yet have had no sticking problems.
    But the post now when fully extended and you lift the seat the post will lift up another 1/4 of an inch. There is some side movement as well. When the post is lowered to any height it will do the same thing with the post being able to move up and down 1/4 inch and side to side.
    Is this a common problem or is it a bigger issue as the post is only 3 months old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crebbinreid@bigpond.com View Post
    I have a KS Lev 125mm dropper post and as yet have had no sticking problems.
    But the post now when fully extended and you lift the seat the post will lift up another 1/4 of an inch. There is some side movement as well. When the post is lowered to any height it will do the same thing with the post being able to move up and down 1/4 inch and side to side.
    Is this a common problem or is it a bigger issue as the post is only 3 months old.
    You might check this thread, you probably need to send it back to LEV, hope your not in a hurry!
    ks lev dropper post sag ?
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php