Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

KS Lev Lockout Issue

My 3 month old KS Lev (100mm) is no longer locking out and is squishy for the first coulple of inches. Does anyone know of a home fix for this? I'd rather not warranty it unless I have too due to the time delay.
    Thanks
    J
    Niner Rip 9 RDO w/ 140 Pike
    2012 Specialized Secteur

mtbr member
    Is the actuation switch working right? I.e. when you flip the thumb button are you sure you're engaging the switch? I'd check this, and adjust the cable if necessary. If the cable is indeed engaging the switch like it's supposed to but you still have issues, then it sounds like you have some problems with your internals and should warranty it.

mtbr member
    Ya - sounds like either the cable is set too tight, or the barb that actuates has been installed backwards and is catching.

Or the internals are hooped and it needs to go back.

mtbr member
    I've found that whilst my LEV works great it is extremely sensitive to the position of the cable housing. Check you haven't moved the housing to a position where the cable is sticking inside. If I move my cable housing just an inch it stops working altogether, thankfully when the housing is in the correct position it works well and doesn't moved around by itself.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll pull the cable hook out of the housing which should tell me if that is the issue. Im really hoping it is, perhpas the cold contracted the cable, although I dont think that's the case. When I press the lever the seat still declines and locks at the bottom. Pressing it again allows it to raise, as expected, but doesn't lock at the top.
    Thanks!
    J
    2012 Specialized Secteur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongalt26 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll pull the cable hook out of the housing which should tell me if that is the issue. Im really hoping it is, perhpas the cold contracted the cable, although I dont think that's the case. When I press the lever the seat still declines and locks at the bottom. Pressing it again allows it to raise, as expected, but doesn't lock at the top.
    Thanks!
    J
    You got it - buy pulling the cable / hook the seat should be locked out at the top position. If it is still moving up/down a few inches the poor thing will need to go back to KS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am having the exact same identical issue. Did you figure out what the problem was?

mtbr member
    KS emailed me back and instructed me to RMA the post. I'll probably do that next week.
    Good luck with yours!
    2012 Specialized Secteur

mtbr member
    My Lev developed this issue this weekend, which was its ~5th ride. It became "squishy" at the top of travel, basically becoming a suspension post. It still extends to full height upon press of the lever, but when weighted it descends ~1". Also, when compressed I can no longer lift the bike by the seat without it extending (which I think was the case when new). I've double checked the cable, and even disconnected it and tried manually actuating it with a screwdriver. No improvement. Fortunately it's so new I can send it back to Jenson for a no-questions-asked refund.

It sounds like this is a common issue with these; anyone have any idea what's up? Seal failure? For what it's worth, this happened during a very cold ride; it was ~20 degrees at the start. Maybe this contributed? Brittle seals or viscous oil makes the post prone to failure?

mtbr member
    Drew, that is exactly what happened to mine and in similar conditions. A close friend has a 125mm lev and hasn't had any issues while riding in the same weather. My former 125 (that i sold with my old bike) didn't have any issues however i didn't get a chance to ride with it in cold weather. I currently have a 100mm. For what its worth my post always extended on both lev's when picking the bike up by the seat.
    2012 Specialized Secteur

MC MasterShake
    Blarghhh! Mine's doing the same thing and it's brand freaking new. My 1st ride on it was in 15 degree weather.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

KS Lev Lockout Issue

Sounds like it is weather related all of us seem to have experienced this after riding in very cold temperatures. Return it if you can instead of warranting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

KS Lev Lockout Issue

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Blarghhh! Mine's doing the same thing and it's brand freaking new. My 1st ride on it was in 15 degree weather.
    Woodyak, was it muddy conditions too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

KS Lev Lockout Issue

Quote Originally Posted by jarango View Post
    Sounds like it is weather related all of us seem to have experienced this after riding in very cold temperatures. Return it if you can instead of warranting it.

Unfortunately it's not related to cold weather. My brother 3 weeks ago bought a LEV 150mm 30.9. We live in So Ca. & 1st ride was perfect. Next ride the post started acting up & dropping about an 1". Took it back to LBS & picked up another brand new post & again the 1st ride was perfect, but on the 2nd ride towards the end the post started to sink about 1" again. Both posts we disconnected the cable at the post, & double checked air pressure, & still the post sank. It appears they are having QC issues with their cartridges. Hopefully they get this sorted out quickly.

My brother switched frames & I bought his old LEV & it's still going strong after about a years worth of riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My did the same thing after about a dozen rides. Post went back last week for fixing. Any issues like this with the reverb?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

KS Lev Lockout Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnman View Post
    My did the same thing after about a dozen rides. Post went back last week for fixing. Any issues like this with the reverb?
    Seems to be an issue with the 150mm only?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mine is the 125mm 30.9 model.

mtbr member
    Mine was 31.6x125, so not just an issue with 150mm posts. After reading about these issues, plush fighting with the AWFUL design of the Integra, I'm giving up on KS.

FWIW I had a similar issue develop on my Reverb, squishy top 1" of travel. It was a seal issue, it's being warranteed. I currently have a Thomson on my non-internal-routed bike, and will re-install the Reverb Stealth on the other bike when it comes back from RS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

KS Lev Lockout Issue

Looks like the adjustable seatpost hasn't been fully invented yet. All brands seem to have one problem or another.

mtbr member
    Well, i've heard the gravity dropper is rock solid but will smash the family jewels though lol.
    2012 Specialized Secteur

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Brand New KS LEV Integra 125mm, 30.9 - Unfortunately after 6 rides, drops 1" after set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my 150 is doing the same after 3 rides...what a stinker

seems the thomson post is more reliable...never had any issues...but i prefer the lev design

mtbr member

KS Lev Lockout Issue

This issue seems to be quite common. It's a shame the KS guys aren't giving us any response on the forums here. My 125mm is doing the same now meaning I only get an effective 100mm of adjust. For those 100mm it works fine and I have no other issues. But I paid for 125mm. Whilst I don't expect any freebies from KS (mine was an eBay purchase, new but not from a dealer) it would at least be nice if KS would admit and recognise that there is a problem and help us all with a fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    any of you dudes have any issues AFTER rebuild?

just took mine back to the shop today...

wondering if it is an original assembly issue or something inherent with the design

mtbr member
    I am hoping this helps others out there with this problem.

I was experiencing the 1 inch post drop syndrome and have rerouted the cables to no avail. I just learned to live with it, the post functions but it is an annoyance.

This weekend I was have a general fettle with the bike. Whilst taking a cursory glance at my LEV Integra, I decided to back off the cable adjust on the l-noodle that is attached to the lever, in doing so I realised that the post seemed to hold its position much better. I tested it on a quick ride and it seems to have cured (at least for now) the involuntary drop issue.

Would be interested to hear if this works for anyone else. FYI I back off the cable adjust so much that the lever is actually a little loose, it has about 2mm of free move before it snugs up the cable.

Now I am hoping to find that sweet spot between no post drop/lever tension.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast