Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So I really want one but do I need one? Its flat here, mostly short steep hills and loose rocks. I'm in central west texas if that helps

Also my seattube is 27.2 so if not this then its a GD or a "normal" post

bike rider
    Even on flat, smooth corners I can go faster with the seat down. It's easier to keep both tires right at the limit of grip when you have a lower center of gravity and can more easily shift your weight forward and back. In your area a dropper post doesn't sound like a necessity and most people would probably say it's not worth the weight. After riding one for years though I wouldn't want to be without even on your trails. Maybe get a 3" drop model to keep the weight low.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfaxian View Post
    I have the LEV 125mm on an Ibis SLR. Has worked well until now. Had bolt issues early on -additional tightening required. Also, loud creaking on big hits (scary) but more lube around the rail contact areas fixed that.

Now post will randomly stick in up position. I repeatedly work the release button & push down on seat. Seems that rocking the barrel adjuster MIGHT help, but can't be sure. Post will suddenly start working again. Not sure why. I do keep post clean. Anyone else with this?

Emailed KS - no reply.
    Mine stuck as well, right out of the box. If it has weight on it, it won't go down. Unweight it and I can push down by hand. I guess I'm going to have to send it back. Back to the Joplin for now.

bike rider
    Bikebling says the next round of LEVs will hit the US in 2-3 weeks, including the 150mm.

mtbr member
    Couldn't resist. After trying and testing different ones...got one yesterday. Out for a ride. Not disappointed.

Not sure if it can be called a mod.. but the installation instructions didn't make sense. The end of housing in contact with the small bits/ spring going to that little actuation box is shown without an end cap. I figured installing it that way would end up with a crappy end in no time and definitely not grit/grime proof. So I capped it. In between the 2 plastic surfaces (the other being the base of that hooked looking plastic piece) with a thin metal spacers.. Reason being if that hooked piece wears out.. I might have a hard time finding replacement for it later on.

Never liked the lock ring remote. Simply bad ergonomics needing to remove finger from brakes to activate it. Hybridize my LEV with a remote from an old Joplin instead.

mtbr member
    ^ That's a nice little piggy on the wall!

I love my LEV! My only fear is that I am going to wear it out. I knew I wanted it for certain riding situations, but I end up using it much more often than I ever imagined. I can't imagine riding without it.

mtbr member

KS Remedy

I started using less force to drop the post which seems to work. Thanks for the insight Creeper. Somehow I think the post jams when fully weighted. A lighter touch seems to do the trick.

Also, I located the release controller between the grip and the brake/shifter. With this I can maintain a more secure grip at all times. On the old bike, I had the control between the brake & shifter, which worked well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    Mine stuck as well, right out of the box. If it has weight on it, it won't go down. Unweight it and I can push down by hand. I guess I'm going to have to send it back. Back to the Joplin for now.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That “hooked looking plastic piece” is the “end cap”. If the cable housing is inside of it there is no way to get any dirt or dust into the cable housing or inside “that little actuation box“, which is o-ring sealed. It also holds the cable housing securely without benefit of the additional zip tie and washer upgrade.

Nice job on the Joplin remote. I mounted the KS remote right above my shifter and I use my thumb very comfortably to operate it. It’s feels like another paddle above the 2 shifter paddles.

Scott is a tool.
    Question for you all.

I'm on my second LEV now. Sent the first one back because it had torsional play straight out of the box.

So, new post, same problem. Not as much, but it's still there.

How much, if any, play have you all got in your LEVs?

Such a wad of cash, it's just a bit disappointing that it's like this already.

Cheers, Grant.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    I'm on my second LEV now. Sent the first one back because it had torsional play straight out of the box.
    What do you mean by torsional play?

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    What do you mean by torsional play?
    Twisting at the seat.

Now older but less slow!
    Well I can wiggle the front of my seat by perhaps a millimeter. There is some play there but it is not anything I can notice while riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Full extension question

Just installed my 125 today.

Noticed the issue with the KS red cover starting to work it's way out. So I checked in here for tips and realized I have the claw facing in as opposed to out so I'll give that a try. +1

I'm also noticing that mine is not fully extending with a little "thunk" sound when I raise it to full extension. I heard it the first couple of times on my initial test rides but not after I adjusted the cable length (seat didn't always go down, there didn't seem to be enough tension) The seat works more consistantly now however it seems to be just short of full extension. I can pull it the rest of the way with my hand so there appears to be enough cable (and I hear the "thunk").

Anyone experience this situation; any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would suggest that you pop the seat off and check the air pressure. It may be down a bit hence you are not getting the full lift. This is adjustable depending on how quick you want the seat to come up. Based on the manual it should be set to between 150 and 250 psi. If you are loosing pressure here then send it back under warranty I reckon. Another thought is have you over tightened you seat post clamp. That may be crushing the workings and causing the issue.

Scott is a tool.
    Definitely pay close attention to the seat post clamp.

I had some issues with the post sticking down, but was able to remedy it with adjusting the torque on my clamp.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Definitely pay close attention to the seat post clamp.

I had some issues with the post sticking down, but was able to remedy it with adjusting the torque on my clamp.
    +1

Not over tightening the seatpost clamps are key! The outer sleeves on these seatposts are relatively thin and can cause pinching on the piston inside. At least, that's the case on the i/supernatural series... It will feel clunky or sticky and eventually, usually very quickly led to a failure internally.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks guys.

If the seat post clamp is over-torqued wouldn't that impact the movement of the post in general. Mine moves fine up and down, until that last few mm at the top.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also, PSI of. 150- 250 is quite a big range. Is there an optimal setting. I weigh around 180ish ready to ride.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by crankarms View Post
    Thanks guys.

If the seat post clamp is over-torqued wouldn't that impact the movement of the post in general. Mine moves fine up and down, until that last few mm at the top.
    Yes, but mostly at that point in which the post is clamped. So if the post is inserted all the way into the frame, you'll notice it towards the top of the stroke. If it has 3-4 inches of post exposed, then the notchy'ness should be around the middle towards bottom of stroke... etc... If it's inserted at the minimum insertion line, you wouldn't notice any difference.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crankarms View Post
    Also, PSI of. 150- 250 is quite a big range. Is there an optimal setting. I weigh around 180ish ready to ride.
    Based on what I have seen the PSI has nothing to do with rider weight. This is the adjustment for the rate of speed that the seat post comes up when fully released. Higher pressure means a quicker rate of rise. I did not check and or adjust mine out of the box so not sure what it is set at I just know it is quick enough. I would see what it is set for now and then make a judgement call. I would expect the factory setting to be 200 PSI as middle of the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Smile Mixed review and poor customer service from Art's Cyclery

See UPDATE at the end.
    I got the 150mm version and rode it for the first time sat. It was easy to install even for a relative novice (watch youtube install video) and it work well during my ride (22.5 mile, 2100 climb). It felt very solid and I was surprised by how often I made adjustments on varying terrain. I was so impressed that I decided to order one for my wife's bike (she had trouble on some of the decents). I order the 125mm from Art's Cyclery and when that arrive yesterday, the box had clearly been previously opened. That was irritating, but I decided to go ahead and install the post. As soon as I popped off the cap covering the cable connector that actuates the post and tried to send the post to the upper position, the connector detached from the cable that goes inside the unit and actuates the post motion. To say the least I was disappointed that this defective post was shipped to me. I immediately called Art's to have a replacement shipped asap so I could get my wife's bike ready for this weekend's ride. The response from Art's was shocking... they said that it is a common problem and that Kind Shock required that the post be shipped back to the factory for repair because it cost's too much to send out a replacement when the issue is repairable. The fact is that Art's clearly sent me a defective product (the opened box makes me suspect it was a returned item they were trying to unload) and they refused to stand behind a product they sold. When I contacted Kind Shock they were surprised that Art's would not take the product back and issue a new one. Art's clearly needs to establish some customer service standards and educate their staff on those standards. Shipping a previously opened item and that was supposed to be a new item is unacceptabe. Now I am forced to spend time and money on shipping the item in for a warranty repair... extremely poor customer service and a total lack of respect for their customer! I won't order any items directly from bike shops in the future... my local shop or Amazon as both know how to treat customers!

The issue with the post itself should be easy enough for Kind Shock to fix... I would wait awhile to make sure any design/QA problems are resolved before buying. After 3 rides with the LEV 150mm I am still extremely pleased with that... I will update with reliability in a few months.

UPDATE: After getting feedback regarding my experience, one of the owners of Art's called me and apologized for the misunderstanding. He did sound sincere and explained that the open box was probably because the post was a display model. He understood that this was really not a warranty issue, but an issue of the product not working from the start. He offered to overnight me a new post and I just received the UPS email notice the post is on the way Hat's off to Art's for the service recovery!
    Last edited by NLehto; 10-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    It's true that KS has had a problem with the set screw cutting the cable inside the post. Mine broke after about 2 months of "hard" use and the shop I purchased it from sent it back to KS. KS was very fast on the return, they had my post back to me within one week.
    I can't believe that Art's won't take care of you. I believe they may have sold you a used post that someone returned. I might be wrong but I don't think that cable will break on the first use, like I said mine lasted for a while before it broke.
    At least KS will stand behind there product and take care of you.

bike rider
    "Mid-October" has come and passed and still no word from KS on what the delays with the 150mm are or when the next shipment will arrive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Love this forum.

Thanks Mark & Matt and other on the forum. Two issues posted, two issues resolved. Just like that
    Awesome

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast